Page One

Campus Computing News

GroupWise Document Management: Creating Documents

Is Your Site ADA Compliant?

Peep Peep

RSS Matters

The Network Connection

List of the Month

WWW@UNT.EDU

Short Courses

IRC News

Staff Activities

Subscribe to Benchmarks Online
    

IRC News

Minutes provided by Sue Ellen Richey, Recording Secretary

IRC Regular Voting Members: Judith Adkison, College of Education; Ginny Anderson, Fiscal Affairs; Donna Asher, Administrative Affairs; Sue Byron, Faculty Senate; Carolyn Cunningham, Student Affairs; Jim Curry, Academic Administration; David Griffiths, Student Association, Don Grose, Libraries; Jenny Jopling, Instruction Program Group; Joneel Harris, Administrative Program Group; Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner, Standards and Cooperation Program Group; Allen Livingston,Graduate Student Council; Dan Mauldin, University Planning Council; Ramu Muthiah, School of Community Services, GALMAC; Jon Nelson, College of Music; Robert Nimocks, Director, Information Technology,UNTHSC; Steve Oeffner, UNT Health Science Center; Russ Pensyl , School of Visual Arts; Patrick Pluscht, Distributed Learning Team; Mark Rorvig, Research Program Group; Paul Schlieve, Communications Program Group; Kathleen Swigger, College of Arts and Sciences; Philip Turner, Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for Distance Education and Dean of the School of Library and Information Resources (Chair, IRC);; Virginia Wheeless, Chancellor; John Windsor, College of Business. IRC Ex-officio Nonvoting Members: Leslie Bowden, Telecommunications; Jim Curry, Microcomputer Maintenance Shop; Michael Forster, UNT Health Science Center; Richard Harris, Computing Center; Coy Hoggard, Computing Center; Maurice Leatherbury, Computing Center; Sue Ellen Richey, Computing Center (Recording Secretary). [As of 9/99]

March 21, 2000

VOTING MEMBERS PRESENT: PHILLIP TURNER, CHAIR, SUE BYRON, RAMU MUTHIAH, JUDITH ADKISON, CRAIG BERRY (for RUSS PENSYL), KATHLEEN SWIGGER, PATRICK PLUSCHT, JOHN WINDSOR, ELIZABETH HINKLE-TURNER, JENNY JOPLING, LOU ANN BRADLEY (for DON GROSE)

NON-VOTING MEMBERS PRESENT: LESLIE BOWDEN, MAURICE LEATHERBURY, COY HOGGARD, RICHARD HARRIS, SUE ELLEN RICHEY (Recording Secretary)

MEMBERS ABSENT: BILL BUNTAIN, JIM CURRY, GINNY ANDERSON, MARK RORVIG, JONEEL HARRIS, ROBERT NIMOCKS, DONNA ASHER, JON NELSON, ALLEN LIVINGSTON, PAUL SCHLIEVE, CAROLYN CUNNINGHAM, STEVE OEFFNER, VIRGINIA WHEELESS, MIKE FORSTER

GUESTS: JENNIFER JOHNSON

Instruction Program Group

Jenny Jopling reported that the Instruction Program Group has not met since the last IRC meeting, but the committee is communicating via email regarding the arrangement of a meeting between eight institutions of higher education to discuss a state-wide computer-based testing network.

Teaching with Technology

Maurice Leatherbury announced that 42 applications for Teaching with Technology grants have been received, which request a total of $285,000 . The committee has reviewed the applications and will meet Thursday of this week to make its determinations and recommendations to Dr. Kesterson. After looking at the grant proposals, Maurice reported to Dr. Kesterson that it would be difficult to fairly divide the allotted $100,000 among the deserving grants and asked him to allocate additional funds if possible. Dr. Kesterson said he would look into it.

Administrative Program Group

In Joneel Harris’ absence, Coy Hoggard reported for the Administrative Program Group. The group has met with Computing Center team leaders to update their project list. It has been determined that if all of the projects are to be accomplished within a timeframe acceptable to the user area representatives, additional staffing will be necessary. New staff position requests have therefore been submitted. Also, with regard to looking at new student systems, Joneel has scheduled Datatel to make a presentation in mid April.

Standards & Cooperation Program Group

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported for the Standards & Cooperation Program Group that the group is preparing a statistical report which will show a three-year comparison of computer inventory, by inventory account number. Information as to type of computer will be included. Initially the report will be distributed to the IRC, but will be available for departments.

Distributed Learning Team

Patrick Pluscht reported for the Distributed Learning Team that UNT will be represented at the Texas Distance Learning Association Annual Conference. Patrick will manage a program track of seven break-out sessions that deal with management and administration; Jenny Jopling and Kim Crawford will make presentations; and a 3-hour workshop will be conducted on institutional cooperative agreements. Patrick also reported that his group is working on a database of approved courses and programs at UNT and will be placing it on-line soon. In addition, he announced a downloaded demonstration about creating a virtual campus. He previewed that demo for the Council and announced that if anyone is interested they can view the download in its entirety at ttvn.tamu.edu (select option "Streaming Video" and then "7th Annual Satellite Conference").

Maurice Leatherbury announced that the streaming video server was delivered just before Spring Break. The disk array was to be delivered yesterday; therefore, it is expected that people will be able to deliver streaming video soon.

IRC Strategic Plan

Maurice Leatherbury announced that the instructions have been received for preparation of the Information Resources Strategic Plan for this biennium. The plan is due to the State by June 1, and this year will be submitted as an appendix to the University’s Strategic Plan. This year’s plan requires a report of measurement of customer satisfaction.

Team Web

Maurice also announced that he is about to reconvene Team Web to help revise the UNT policy on Web development. The State has developed new Web publishing rules that all state agencies have to conform to. A privacy policy has to be developed for the University Web site so that any department collecting personal data on the Web form has to publish a privacy policy for that form. Also, any new Web page that meets the definition of an official state publication must have four meta-tags with the page, for title, author, content, description and p-words on each page. Maurice has drafted a revision to the University Policy and Team Web will begin working on that soon.

EDUCAUSE in Texas

Maurice reported that he attended a meeting of a group within the state that is planning to form a Texas chapter of EDUCAUSE. The hope is that a local chapter will enable better communication within the information technology community in higher education institutions. A state conference is planned for February 2001 in San Antonio.

Other Computing Issues

Kathleen Swigger commented that she has noted a very slow response time when using the Internet on campus. Maurice responded that Data Communications has final proposals and bids out on datacom projects that will improve that situation. It is anticipated that it will cost about $200,000 to make these improvements, but the expenditure has been approved by the Vice President of Finance & Business Affairs. Further, Maurice stated that Datacom is considering cutting off the Dallas/Fort Worth dial-up lines to help remedy the high-volume traffic on the system, since low-cost internet service is available in those areas.

Kathy Swigger also commented that several universities she knows of are beginning to lease computer equipment rather than buy it, since technology is changing so rapidly, and leasing would allow for upgrades whenever technology warranted it. She suggested that UNT look into that possibility. Maurice remarked that leasing of laptops has been considered, but leasing has not been considered for desktop machines since the Microcomputer Maintenance Shop provides such good maintenance and upgrade pricing.

IRC Meeting Schedule

The IRC generally meets on the third Tuesday of each month, from 2-4 p.m., in the Administration Building Board Room. Planned exceptions to this schedule are that December meeting was moved to Dec. 14; that the May meeting will be be moved to May 9 and the August will meeting be moved to August 8.

All meetings of the IRC, its program groups, and other committees, are open to all faculty, staff, and students.