Page One

Campus Computing

Update on SmartForce CBT

Lab-of-the-Month: SCS

FrontPage and Dreamweaver

WebDAV and You

Your First ColdFusion Application

Today's Cartoon

RSS Matters

SAS Corner

The Network Connection

Link of the Month

WWW@UNT.EDU

Short Courses

IRC News

Staff Activities

Subscribe to Benchmarks Online
    

IRC News

Minutes provided by Sue Ellen Richey, Recording Secretary

Committee Graphic

IRC Regular and Ex-officio Voting Members: Judith Adkison, College of Education; Ginny Anderson, Fiscal Affairs; Donna Asher, Administrative Affairs; Craig Berry, School of Visual Arts; Cengiz Capan, College of Business, GALC; Bobby Carter, UNT Health Science Center; Christy Crutsinger, Faculty Senate; Jim Curry, Academic Administration; VACANT, Student Association; Duncan Engler, University Planning Council; Don Grose, Libraries; Jenny Jopling, Instruction Program Group; Joneel Harris, EIS Project Group; Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner, Standards and Cooperation Program Group; Abraham John, Student Affairs; Christine Mitchamore,Graduate Student Council; Ramu Muthiah, School of Community Services; Jon Nelson, College of Music; Robert Nimocks, Director, Information Technology,UNTHSC; Patrick Pluscht, Distributed Learning Team; Mark Rorvig, Research Program Group (Acting Chair); Paul Schlieve, Communications Program Group; Kathleen Swigger, College of Arts and Sciences; Philip Turner, School of Library and Information Science and University Planning Council (Chair, IRC); Virginia Wheeless, Chancellor for Planning. IRC Ex-officio Nonvoting Members: VACANT, Telecommunications; Charles Andrews, GALMAC; Bill Buntain, Computing Center Networking; Jim Curry, Microcomputer Maintenance Shop; Richard Harris, Computing Center and University Planning Council; Coy Hoggard, Computing Center/Administrative; VACANT, UNT Health Science Center; Maurice Leatherbury, Computing Center/Academic; Sue Ellen Richey, Computing Center (Recording Secretary). [As of 9/2001]

September 18, 2001

VOTING MEMBERS PRESENT: RICHARD HARRIS, Representing and Chairing for Philip Turner,  DON GROSE,  ELIZABETH HINKLE-TURNER, JUDITH ADKISON, JONEEL HARRIS, CRAIG BERRY, PATRICK PLUSCHT,  JIM CURRY, DONNA ASHER, PAUL SCHLIEVE, ROBERT NIMOCKS, JON NELSON, MARK RORVIG,  CENGIZ CAPAN, RAMU MUTHIAH NON-VOTING MEMBERS PRESENT: MAURICE LEATHERBURY, COY HOGGARD, CHARLES ANDREWS, SUE ELLEN RICHEY (Recording Secretary) MEMBERS ABSENT: JENNY JOPLING, VIRGINIA WHEELESS, PHILIP TURNER, KATHLEEN SWIGGER, DENNIS ENGLER, BOBBY CARTER, GINNY ANDERSON, BILL BUNTAIN GUESTS: JENNIFER LAFLEUR, LOU ANN BRADLEY, WILL CLARK

The minutes of the July 17th meeting were approved.

Information Resources Steering Committee revisions

Richard Harris reported that the Information Resources Steering Committee has not met since the July meeting of the IRC but that there has been a re-structuring of the steering committee meetings. It will now be chaired by President Pohl. A monthly President’s Staff Meeting is being initiated and, in addition to the Vice Presidents, will also include Philip Turner, Richard Harris and Joneel Harris.

Richard Harris also reported that a request was made to Dr. Turner to add a representative to the IRC from the System Center Dallas. The Strategic Planning Committee approved the addition to the council. This addition and other changes have been made to the IRC charge and a draft of those revisions is being reviewed by Vice President Diebel. After approval by the Vice President, the new Charge will be brought before the IRC for official approval. The Chair asked for a vote to accept the addition of a new representative from the System Center Dallas. Mark Rorvig so moved; Paul Schlieve seconded and the additional representative was approved.

Richard Harris noted that other revisions to the IRC Charge which have been made are: 1) revise titles of positions; 2) add representative from System Center; 3) change names of Program Groups to Planning Groups; IRC reports to the IR Steering Committee, which is chaired by UNT President; 5) define Planning Groups and state that the Chair of each Planning Group will be representative to the IRC and groups are expected to meet at least quarterly; and 6) General Access Lab Committee’s relation to the IRC. When revised charge is approved by the Vice President, Richard Harris will email it to the council for review and it will be on the agenda for discussion and possible vote at the October meeting.

DCSMT

Maurice Leatherbury reported that at the last DCSMT meeting Mike Wright told the group about the changes that will take effect for the Microsoft Campus Agreement after the current agreement expires August 31, 2002. There will be an approximate 50% increase in the price next year and the new program will not allow operating system work-at-home rights, and license restrictions will become more strict about use of application software at home.

Maurice also reported that the requested $760,000 in TIF funds were granted to UNT, and proposed projects can now go forward. Dr. Grose announced that the Libraries received over $600,000 in TIF funds, as well.

Communications Program Group

Paul Schlieve reported for the Communications Program Group that the group is reviewing an internet connectivity proposal from Verizon. The Group has also been looking into a proposal for sharing bandwidth with the Denton ISD and co-managing a router at City Hall, but it has been determined that the ISD did not have enough money budgeted to handle the cost of doing so. The Program Group continues to work on technical aspects of multi-casting, implementation of wireless networks and the completion of the building wiring project.

EIS Project Group

Coy Hoggard reported for the EIS Project Group that two RFPs have been released; one for the application software, for which responses are due Sept. 26; and one for implementation services, for which responses are due October 5th. Coy explained that it is not necessary to do an RFP for computer equipment. He stated that most likely Sun equipment will be used, since there is a lot of expertise already in the Computing Center for using that equipment.

Richard Harris mentioned that there is a Center for Excellence Program through Sun Microsystems in which UNT may participate. Coy said that Sun is proposing that UNT participate in this which would make the campus eligible for big discounts in the purchase of Sun equipment.

Research Program Group

Mark Rorvig announced for the Research Program Group that he has issued an invitation to all schools, colleges and some departments to appoint a representative to that Program Group. He stated that an issue that this group needs to deal with is computer security and server configuration management. Maurice Leatherbury noted that a new position of a Central Computing Security Manager has been established in the Computing Center; and interviews are now being conducted. Paul Schlieve commented that it would be very helpful to have a set of recommended standard services for servers and information regarding those services which would present certain security risks.

Standards & Cooperation Program Group

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner announced that Paul Hons from COE and Scott Krejci from Music are new members of the Standards & Cooperation Program Group. Elizabeth reported that they have finished a draft of the Security Policy 3.6 and are working on Security Standards 3.7. They will meet next week and hope to finish the Standards document at that time. Next they plan to begin review of the Data Integrity Policy 3.8 and plan to bring all three policies before the Council in November.

Distributed Learning Team

Patrick Pluscht reported for the Distributed Learning Team that they hosted the North Texas Regional Group of Texas Distance Learning Association; and discussed the conference they will be hosting April 2-4 for the state and region, dealing with distance learning, at the Weston Beechwood near Alliance Airport. William Janklow will be the keynote speaker at that conference.

IRC Schedule changes, other business

The meeting schedule for FY2002 was discussed and it was suggested that the December meeting be changed to December 11th, and the May meeting be changed to May 7th. The Recording Secretary will check these suggested changes with the Chair’s calendar and send out a revised schedule to members.

It was announced that there will be an Internet2 meeting on October 1-4, 2001 in Austin. UNT has three free places at that meeting and anyone interested in attending can see the agenda and register on-line. Richard Harris asked that members send him an email if they are interested in attending. Both Richard and C.R. Chevli of the Computing Center plan to attend.

Elizabeth Hinkle Turner announced that visitors from SMU will be coming to UNT to look at the general access lab system here as they begin to plan for their own. Elizabeth plans to show them the dorm labs, the MUSIC lab, ACS, the Adaptive Lab, COE’s and COBA’s lab. It was suggested that the visitors be shown the open computers in the ESSC as well as the open lab in that building.

IRC Meeting Schedule

The IRC generally meets on the third Tuesday of each month, from 2-4 p.m., in the Administration Building Board Room. From time to time there are planned exceptions to this schedule. This fiscal year, the December meeting has been changed to December 11th, and the May meeting to May 7th. All meetings of the IRC, its program groups, and other committees, are open to all faculty, staff, and students.