Benchmarks Online

Skip Navigation Links


Page One

Campus Computing

Burning the 'Past Midnight' Oil: Several General Access Labs Open Until 2 A.M.

Project Management Courses Added to the SkillPort CBT Website

Today's Cartoon

RSS Matters

The Network Connection

Link of the Month

WWW@UNT.EDU

Short Courses

IRC News

Staff Activities

Subscribe to Benchmarks Online
    

IRC News

Minutes provided by Sue Ellen Richey, Recording Secretary*

Committee Graphic

September 20, 2005

VOTING MEMBERS PRESENT: PHILIP TURNER, ELIZABETH HINKLE-TURNER, JUDITH ADKISON, WIL CLARK (for JOHN PRICE), PATRICK PLUSCHT, LOU ANN BRADLEY, RAY BANKS, DON GROSE, ROBERT NIMOCKS, JIM CURRY, CENGIZ CAPAN, JENNIFER LAFLEUR (for GUILLERMO OYARCE), CHRISTY CRUTSINGER, TIM CHRISTIAN NON-VOTING MEMBERS PRESENT: MAURICE LEATHERBURY, PHILIP BACZEWSKI, SUE ELLEN RICHEY (Recording Secretary) MEMBERS ABSENT:  JON NELSON, CHUCK FULLER, RAMU MUTHIAH, JONEEL HARRIS, JOE ADAMO, ABRAHAM JOHN, MAX KAZEMZADEH, BRUCE HUNTER,, MARGARET AMBUEHL, TOBYE RAE NELSON, KENN MOFFITT, DOUG MAINS, BOBBY CARTER, JOHN HOOPER, DOUG MAINS, JAMES STRAWN GUESTS: NICK ZIERGIEBEL

This being the first meeting of the new academic year, members introduced themselves, for the benefit of  the new members present.

Lou Ann Bradley moved for approval of the minutes of the July 19, 2005 meeting; Maurice Leatherbury seconded the motion and the minutes were approved as distributed.

IR Steering Committee

The Chair reported that the IR Steering Committee has not met since the last IRC meeting.

DCSMT

Philip Baczewski reported for the Distributed Computing Support Management Team that the committee has met three times since the last IRC meeting. The August 5 meeting featured a discussion on brute force password-guessing attacks against SQL databases on campus.  In a seven-day period in August, 1,989,918 such attempts were recorded.  The Security team recommendations included setting strong passwords which are changed frequently, employing a hardware firewall if possible, encrypting data, and applying patches as soon as possible.  At this meeting it was also reported that the July edition of the CITC news journal, Benchmarks, included an article recommending encryption software to protect data stored on personal computers, including laptops, both personal and university owned. 

The September 2 meeting included a discussion regarding blocking Microsoft SQL TCP/IP port traffic at the Richardson router.  No objections were noted by those at the meeting.  Yancey Yeargan reported that the account management system has a new feature which provides an email notification before an EUID password expires.  These notices will be sent to the EUID-holder's preferred email address 15 and 5 days prior to expiration.  Since there are many staff and faculty who do not have their preferred email set correctly, the decision was made to set the default status for this feature to inactive.  The feature can be activated by logging into the EUID Account Management page at ams.unt.edu .

At the September 16 meeting of DCSMT procedures were outlined for including cross reference data in Netware NDS user records to allow accurate synchronization of data with the ID Management LDAP directories.  Network Managers will provide EmplID values for the employee accounts in the Netware directory areas they manage.  The standard for newly-created Netware accounts is to include the EmplID in the NDS record.  This cross reference with LDAP will allow automation of functions such as including a GroupWise address as a preferred e-mail address in the LDAP directory.  Also discussed at this meeting was use of a program called EAZ-FIX for quick restoration of Windows PC images and UNT's pending membership in the IBM World Community Grid.

Learning Enhancement Planning Group

The Learning Enhancement Planning Group is currently looking into clicker technology for the classroom.  A demonstration by GTCO CalComp is scheduled for Wednesday, September 21st at noon in Chilton 245. IRC members are welcome to attend the demo.

On Sept. 15 the Provost sent out a Request for Proposals for funds to support projects which will enhance learning; the proposals are due back Nov. 1 to the Provost. On September 30th, there will be a proposal writing workshop at noon in Chilton 245. $130,000 has been set aside for the awards program with up to $8,000 per course. Patrick distributed the Call for Proposals.

CDL had a program for recognizing outstanding online teachers and course designers, awards for which were presented at the Faculty Convocation.

In response to Hurricane Katrina, some online courses have been set up that refugee students can take and pay only in-state tuition. There are 13 enrollments for courses that started today. Shortly after this was put together, there was an announcement by the National Consortium called "SLOAN-C" that they would be leading an initiative called "SLOAN Semester" in which 400 or more courses would be offered nationally at no charge. As of today's meeting, 1100 courses are being made available.  CDL will participate in that, as well, and is offering one course, ART 1300,Art Appreciation. This course begins October 10th.

Other Planning Groups 

There were no reports from the Communications Planning Group, the EIS Planning Group, or the Research Planning Group.

Standards & Policy Planning Group 

Maurice Leatherbury  reported that the Standards & Policy Planning Group has not met in over a year and needs to be re-formed.  A request was sent to Deans asking them to appoint someone to serve on this committee.  There is a Security Policy and a Web Publishing Policy that need to be reviewed and brought before the IRC for approval, so there is an urgent need to make this committee active again. 

Student Computing Planning Group 

Elizabeth Hinkle Turner reported for the Student Computing Planning Group that the signs they had ordered arrived, but had some production flaws.  They have worked with the company making the signs and expect to receive the new signs soon.  They will get the signs hung as soon as possible, including a map of the campus labs which will be displayed in Willis Library.  CAS, COE, SCSPACS, and Graduate Labs are all open until 2:00 am now, to ease the pressure on the Willis Library Lab after Midnight, since Willis Lab is the only lab that is open 24 hours.  Dr. Grose suggested that other labs consider remaining open 24 hours.  Elizabeth asked that Dr. Grose consult with Philip Baczewski, since Philip is the Chair of GALC.  Cengiz Capan raised the issue of security in buildings after Midnight, and asked for a statistical report of usage of the labs.

WebCT 

The migration to Vista is set to be completed at the end of Maymester, so that all WebCT courses will be available in Vista for Summer of 2006.  There is a migration team available to offer assistance to faculty to recreate their course in Vista or have it automatically migrated into Vista.  There will be training available this year, for faculty wishing to use Vista.  They are continuing to meet with WebCT/Vista technical team weekly, as well as an additional weekly meeting with the Sales & Policy side of WebCT.  They have had some recent problems arise which they are working on.

Eagle Text 

Ray Banks reported that the SGA has started something called Eagle Text through which students can swap books with other students on campus.  There are programmers working on an online service to accomplish this and enable students to pay each other through a third party (like PayPal) if they just want to buy a book from another student.  They are looking into all of the legal ramifications.  SGA is also working on its own version of Pick a Prof, and is currently trying to obtain information about reviews and evaluation scores.

CDL Photo Project

The Chair added that the Center for Distributed Learning is working on a project whereby photos of students would be made available to faculty as well as other students.  Cengiz Capan reported that COBA has been making studentsí photos available to faculty for quite some time, attached to their enrollment lists.  Cengiz said he would share the information about their system to anyone who is interested.

October and November meeting times changed

Members were reminded that the October and November IRC meetings will start at 2:30.  There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 3:30 p.m.


* For a list of IRC Regular and Ex-officio Members click here.

**DCSMT Minutes can be found here.

IRC Meeting Schedule

The IRC generally meets on the third Tuesday of each month, from 2-4 p.m., in the Administration Building Board Room. From time to time there are planned exceptions to this schedule. The schedule can be found here. All meetings of the IRC, its program groups, and other committees, are open to all faculty, staff, and students.

 

 

 

 

Return to top