Skip Navigation Links
By Dr. Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner, Student Computing Services Manager
JAWS 9.0 and MAGic 11.0 from Freedom Scientific have arrived and are now available for on-campus distribution. Licensing for the products is also installed on a new server in a more stable location. Network managers needing to install JAWS or MAGic in their areas can get the new server name by contacting Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner. Network managers will also need to be put in the appropriate A/D group by Elizabeth in order to access the installation files available on the new Microsoft Student Computing Services server..
User instructions on how to work with JAWS and MAGic are available at www.unt.edu/ACSGAL - the ACS/Adaptive General Access Lab website.
Instructions for Computing Support Personnel on installing JAWS and MAGic
1. Log in with admin rights to the Windows XP machine upon which you wish to install JAWS and/or MAGic (according to FS they do not work with Win2000 or NT).
2. You must first set up the workstation to look for the correct location for the license server [note: you must contact the license server manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the name of the license server]: To force the workstation to look for the correct location for the JAWS (MAGIC) license, add the environment variable LSFORCEHOST=nameofserver.acs.unt.edu as a system variable. [How to do this: Right-click MY COMPUTER and then click PROPERTIES; click the ADVANCED tab; Click ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES; click NEW to add a new system variable name and value : name=LSFORCEHOST and value=nameoflicenseserver.acs.unt.edu]
3. Insert JAWS (or MAGic) application CD into the machine. Choose JAWS SETUP
(NOT JAWS network setup!) from the menu:
4. Choose 'Continue without Speech' (no need to reboot)
5. To begin installation, press Enter
6. For most installations, choose 'Automatic' is appropriate (answer ‘no’ to any additional options or freebies it might ask you about – you just want the application)
7. JAWS or MAGic will be installed / you may be prompted to reboot (I wasn't)
8. Open up JAWS or MAGic on your machine and voilą! it starts and it works! :-)