Buildings and Major Offices Located Within:

Administration Building

Advancement Center

Art Building

Astronomy Observatory

Athletic Office Building

Auditorium Building

Bain Hall

Named after Dr. Wilfred C. Bain, the first head of the Music Department, 1938, and first dean of the School of Music, 1946. Dr. Bain also organized the institution's first A Cappella choir.

Biology Building

Bruce Hall

Completed in 1948 and named after Dr. William Herschel Bruce, who served as president of the North Texas State Normal College from 1906 to 1923.

Business Administration Building

Chestnut Hall (named for street)

Chilton Hall

Named for Joshua Crittenden Chilton, who negotiated the contract with the City of Denton that established Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute on May 8, 1890. Served as president until 1893.

Clark Hall

Named for Miss Edith L. Clark, the first dean of women, 1916-1944.

Coliseum

College Inn

Crumley Hall

Named for John Jackson Crumley, president from 1893 to 1894. He is known for putting the "North" in North Texas Normal College.

Curry Hall

Named for Dr. O.J. Curry, first dean of the College of Business Administration, 1946-1974.

Eagle Student Services Center

Named after the university's official mascot chosen by the student body in 1922.

Edwards Hall (named for street)

Engineering Technology Building

Fouts Field

Named after Theron J. Fouts who served as football coach, dean of men and director of athletics. Became football coach in 1920 and was athletic director at the time of his death in 1954.

General Academic Building

Golf Course, Radisson Hotel Denton and Eagle Point Golf Club

Health Center

Highland Hall (named for street)

Information Sciences Building

Kendall Hall

Named for Dr. Joel Sutton Kendall who, in 1901, left the position of state superintendent of public instruction to become the principal [president] of the newly created state college, North Texas State Normal College, serving until his death in 1906.

Kerr Hall

For S. A. Kerr of Huntsville, vice-chairman of the Board of Regents, 1949-1967.

Language Building

Library Annex, 901 Precision

Lyceum, University Union

Maple Hall (named for street)

Marquis Hall

Named for Dr. Robert Lincoln Marquis, who served as the president of North Texas State Teachers College, 1923-1934.

Masters Hall

Named for W. N. Masters, long-time head of the Chemistry Department for North Texas State Teachers College.

Matthews Hall

Named after Dr. James Carl Matthews, who served as the first dean of the School of Education, first vice president of the teachers college, and president of the university, 1951-1968.

Matthews Annex

Named after Dr. James Carl Matthews, who served as the first dean of the School of Education, first vice president of the teachers college, and president of the university, 1951-1968.

McConnell Hall

For Dr. W. Joseph McConnell, president of the teachers college and the state college, 1934-1951.

Men's Gymnasium

Missile Base

Music Annex

Music Building

Music Practice North

Music Practice South

Oak Street Hall (named for street)

Opera Hall

Physical Education Building

Physical Plant Complex

Physics Building

Power Plant

Quad 2

Radisson Hotel Denton and Eagle Point Golf Club

Science Research Building

Scoular Hall

For Dr. Florence I. Scoular, first dean of the School of Home Economics, 1946.

Smith Hall

Home of Station KNTU, located in the family home of J. W. Smith, business manager of the normal college and teachers college.

Speech/Drama Building

Sports Medicine/Fitness Facility

Stovall Hall

For Dr. Floyd Stovall, who served as director of the English Department and first dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1946.

Sullivant Visitor Center

For Carroll Sullivant of Gainesville, member of the Board of Regents, 1961-1978. (open 24 hours)

Tennis Courts, East

Tennis Courts, West

Terrill Hall

Named for Menter B. Terrill, president of the private North Texas Normal College from 1894 until it became a state normal college in 1901.

University Services Building

University Union

West Hall

Willis Library

For A. M. Willis of Longview, member of the Board of Regents, 1965-1983, serving as its chairman from 1969 to 1983.

Wooten Hall

For Benjamin Harrison Wooten of Dallas, chairman of the Board of Regents, 1949-1969.

Historical information about building names provided by James L. Rogers, Professor Emeritus of Journalism

UNT Graduate Catalog Table of Contents

UNT Undergraduate Catalog Table of Contents