Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

March 2, 2001

Members: Rich Anderson (School of Community Service), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Bill Buntain (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Eric DuChemin (Computing Center), Cyndie Harris (Physical Plant), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pam Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee and Computing Center), Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Sciences), Ramu Muthiah (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present: Rich Anderson (School of Community Service), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts),  Bill Buntain (Computing Center),  Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services),   Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Sciences), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center)

Members Absent: Troy Bacon (AVP Finance & Business Affairs and Controller), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Eric DuChemin (Computing Center), Cyndie Harris (Physical Plant), Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee and Computing Center),  Abraham John (VP Student Development), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Ramu Muthia (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt),  Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Guests: John Berra for Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Daren Dugan (Computing Center),   Jason Myre (Computing Center),  Charlotte Russell (Computing Center), Craig Terrell (Computing Center), Jon Walker (Computing Center)

Minutes from February 2, 2001 Meeting
Minutes from the February 2, 2001 meeting were approved.

Subcommittee Reports
Maurice Leatherbury reported that the Student Computing Committee had not met.

Wireless Networking (802.11 {a-g})
Tim Christian reported that he attended the EduTex conference in San Antonio, and that UNT lags behind other universities in the area of wireless networking.  Tim was invited to attend wireless networking meetings held by Data Communications and College of Education staff.  Maurice invited Doug Jackson from UT Dallas to come to the next
meeting to brief DCSMT on what his campus' experience with wireless have been.

Discussion on how to make it easier for new faculty/staff to get up and going here at UNT
Tim Christian reported that it has been difficult for new faculty and staff to receive computing access on campus.  New faculty and staff have to contact a variety of computing areas in order to receive accounts such as lan, e-mail, mainframe, etc.   Possible solutions: 1) use Remedy to initiate all computing access requests with results reported back to a department contact, 2) resolution of issues related to LDAP.   Maurice will contact Administrative Computing and Academic Computing representatives to determine the status of LDAP.

Report from EduTex meeting in San Antonio last week
Maurice reported that UNT gave six presentations at last week's EduTex meeting, including a presentation on "Federated Model of Computing Support at UNT", and a WebCT presentation from Mark Wilcox.  Tim Christian reported on various presentations that he had attended.  Of particular interest was the UT San Antonio computing training model that incorporates training of all systems that will be supported.  Tim would like to implement a similar model in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Students on GroupWise and inappropriate postings
Maurice asked if DCSMT areas were using any guidelines or appropriate use policies for posting messages on GroupWise.  Jason Myre agreed to investigate, and if possible, compile an "orientation" document that will be automated and mailed to new GroupWise users and report back to DCSMT.

Old Business
None.

New Business
Craig Berry reported that a theft had been committed in the SOVA computer lab.

Gary Mathews reported that new workstations have arrived in the SLIS lab.

Mike Maner reported that memory will be upgraded on the router in Richardson.   There may be an outage for a short time.

Tim Christian reported that IP addresses had run short on the A&S subnet but he was able to recover several that were not in use.  Tim also reported that new NDPS printers have rolled out, and that Arts and Sciences support staff were honored at the most recent Sack Lunch.

Jim Curry is working with Tim to work out memory problems associated with Windows 2000 machines.  Jim also reported that there have been "blink-out" problems with monitors.  Those experiencing these problems should contact Microcomputer Maintenance. 

Jon Walker reported that the NDS team moved to the fourth floor of GAB and that "printing issues" (delays for up to 30 seconds) have occured in some areas.

Rich Anderson reported problems with printing.

Paul Hons reported problems with Zen have exisited since moving to Netware 5.1

Mike Hatch reported printing problems, Netware 5.1 problems, and "cache memory allocation failures".

Mike Wright reported that most queues have been moved to NDPS.  Mike also reported that Adobe made pricing arrangements with an outside vendor.  For now, use current pricing for Adobe product orders.  Maintenance costs will be added later.

Bill Buntain reported that the PacketShaper Packeteer implementation looks promising.

The meeting adjourned at 12:00 noon.


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on April 06, 2001.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.