Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


 Meeting Minutes

April 20, 2001

 Members: Rich Anderson (School of Community Service), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Bill Buntain (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Eric DuChemin (Computing Center), Cyndie Harris (Physical Plant), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pam Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee and Computing Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Sciences), Ramu Muthiah (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

 Members Present: Rich Anderson (School of Community Service), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pam Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee and Computing Center), Paul Hons (College of Education), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Sciences)

 Guests: Philip Bacsewski (Computing Center), Brendan Carroll (Computing Center), Daren Dugan (Computing Center), Jennifer Lafleur (Computing Center), Jason Myre (Computing Center) 

Minutes from March 16, 2001 Meeting

Minutes were approved as written.

 Subcommittee Reports

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported on SmartForce.  There are security limitations on the software and she is working with Craig Terrell on testing.  There is a handout of the title list at the HelpDesk.  

Update on external addresses in the GroupWise address book.

Jason Myre researched this and found you can add external addresses.  They would be in the Novell address book, but you have no way of finding out the address if you don’t know it.  Most faculty members have “other” addresses, so administration would not be easy.  OFFICIAL mail and EVERYONE messages use GroupWise.  Ideally, we would like a faculty mail group in Novell.  Possibly faculty, staff and TAs could maintain just one email address.  Should this be taken to the Faculty Senate and Staff Council?  Maurice will look into this.

 Mac OS X support.

Rich Anderson reported that Mac OS X had been released.  There is no native network support.  Possible to set up a working group about connectivity issues?  No support from Adobe and MS yet and there are sound issues.  Mike Wright should be involved.  Anyone else wanting to be involved please email Rich.

Personal firewalls on desktop machines.

When WIN2K is deployed this summer, should a personal firewall be included?  This could be a management problem.  Paul Hons is looking for information.  Has anyone tried these types of products?  Anyone wishing to deploy firewalls should notify C.R. Chevli.

Old Business

How do we provide service to faculty and staff in a more efficient manner?

LDAP – Maurice has no new info.  Maurice will look into getting real support for a directory.  Philip Bacsewski said we do have the capability of putting GroupWise addresses into LDAP.  We have to get EUIDs into GW to standardize namespace.  COBA populates NDS with EUIDs.  The message is if you haven’t done it, populate EIUD field in NDS.  Beforehand, we’ll have Craig Terrell back to DCSMT to talk about it.  It’s not uncommon for a person to have 2 EUIDs.  The new EIS would have a unified database of all people.

New Business

Security cameras will soon be installed in Willis Library.  They will also have guards during the last two weeks of school when they are open 24 hours a day.

 Mike Maner reported there was a ghosting problem with the network on one machine.  The wrong packet type was used.  Mike Hatch ghosts all machines weekly.  Does anyone else do multicast ghost sessions during the day?

 Paul Hons is going to WIN2K and Zen3 this summer and will share development if anyone else is going to do the same.

 The meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m.


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on July 17, 2001.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.