Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


 Meeting Minutes

January 18, 2002

Members
Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Bill Buntain (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (Physical Plant), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Ramu Muthiah (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller),  Craig Berry (School of Visual Art), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Bill Buntain (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences),  Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Cindy Harris (Physical Plant),  Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing Center), Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Sciences), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center)

Guests
Rich Anderson (Computing Center), Charlie Andrews (GALMAC, College of Education), Philip Baczewski (Computing Center), Scott Blackwell (Computing Center), Travis Brown (Computing Center), Stuart Christian (Computing Center), Chris Cofer (Computing Center), Blair Copeland (Computing Center), Joey Cranmore (Computing Center), Pat Evans (Computing Center), Lance Harris (Computing Center), Richard Harris (Computing Center), Lee Haughton (Physical Plant), Jason Myre (Computing Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing Center), Curry Searle (College of Arts and Sciences), Craig Terrell (Computing Center), Mike Williams (Computing Center), Scott Windham (Computing Center)

Minutes
Minutes from December 7, 2001  were approved with changes.

Subcommittee Reports

Office XP Study Committee 
Mike Williams reported that the Office XP Study Committee will meet next week to review progress. 

Security Issues
Rich Anderson announced that he has been in contact with a company called EI.  This company sells a product called Secure IIS, a product which helps to prevent common exploits.  Rich is willing to negotiate pricing for mass licensing if there is interest.  Send e-mail to Rich if interested.  

Security scans are nearly complete.  Network managers who would like to know the major issues for the areas which they support should contact Rich.

Several issues surrounding the Netware Management Portal were discussed.  See Rich or Craig Terrell if you use this service.


EDUTEX
Maurice announced that the EDUTEX conference is scheduled for February 20-22.  The conference will be held in Austin, Texas.  See the EDUTEX web site for more information (http://www.educause.edu/conference/edutex/2002).

P2P Software
Tim Christian reported that a faculty member was found running peer-to-peer software.  The software was discovered after it was reported that the network was experiencing slow connectivity and dropped connections.  Bill Buntain announced that data communications is looking at acquiring a second Packetshaper which may regulate internet bandwidth.

McAfee Licensing
Mike Williams announced that he is talking with McAfee about renewing the anti-virus product license.  Mike is considering adding a license to support home versions of the software for students, and also adding wireless services.  Those interested should respond to e-mail that Mike plans to send.

Naming Services Announcement 
Blair announced that he has been working on upgrading naming services.  Dynamic addressing is now an option.  The areas of campus that now use DHCP will be use the new Bind service.  Contact Blair for more information.

Software Audit Under Way
Maurice announced that an audit of desktop software has been announced.  Internal Audit will contact departments directly.  (Mike Wright will report on Adobe, Campus Agreement, and MOLP products.)  The audit will be conducted using DIR guidelines.

Old Business
None.

New Business

None.
 
Status Reports

Maurice announced that it's time to begin negotiations for the renewal of the Microsoft Campus Agreement.

Wil Clark told the group that the semester is proceeding smoothly, and, a new computer support staff member will begin working next week.

Bill Buntain reported that data communications is planning to remove the TAGER microwave.  Bill also reported that the request for proposal for a microwave system for the North Campus has been released.

Tim Christian reported that a group has been formed to discuss system outage alerts.  The Instruction Planning Group, Tim, Sandy Burke, and Jenny Jopling will be investigating.  

Paul Hons reported abending problems with a server running Zen 3.2.  Paul also announced that one his technicians will now be working for Technology and Cognition.  Paul has a vacant computer support specialist 4 position.

Brenda Kirk announced that a new server for CC2 may be in place within the next month or so.

Mike Hatch reported that Windows 2000 is in place in the labs and that strange behavior has been occurring   with a Windows 2000 machines and zip drives.  Mike also announced that he's upgraded to Zen 3.2.

Kirk Kelly reported that things are going well, and, that he's trying to find a way for the University Courtyard to provide timely student population information.

Scott Windham announced that two video conference room have been added, and that he's working with the Center for Distributed Learning to purchase expansion equipment.

Mike Wright reported that old versions of host print are still in use.  Mike also announced that he will be going to Palm Source in February.

Gary Mathews reported that a machine running linux was compromised.  He's working with Rich to resolve the incident.

Mike Williams reported that new viruses are getting more destructive.  Mike suggests keeping up-to-date with the latest dat files.  Updates should occur at least two times a week (Wednesday night and late Sunday).

Jason Myre reported that three domains have been migrated to GroupWise 6.  No problems have occurred so far.  Post offices have not yet been migrated.

Craig Berry reported that an NDPS issue has been resolved, and that the semester started quietly. 

Craig Terrell announced that the UNT tree and the SIT server were moved to E-directory.  

Allen Bradley announced that the campus wide network group and the EIS team have agreed on a SAN purchase.  SIT and GW servers will receive home directory space.

Chris Cofer announced that more features are available in Eaglemail, and that virus scanning is now supported.

Pat Evans announced that enhancements to Remedy have been going well.  The Helpdesk and the Computing Center will be the first groups to test the enhancements.

Chris Strauss announced that the Remedy ARS 5.0 product and web interface are available.  Plans are to migrate to Helpdesk 5.0.

Charlotte Russell announced the development of a security assessment survey that will be targeted for distribution on about  the first week of February.  The survey will cover the SANS/FBI Top 20 Vulnerabilities, Access Controls, Password Administration, Contingency Planning, and Critical Systems/Applications.  Groups who will receive the survey will include DCSMT members, Computing Center representatives, and faculty or staff members who act as system administrators. 

The meeting adjourned at 11:20 a.m.


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on February 14, 2002.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.