Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

June 7, 2002

Members
Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Bill Buntain (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (Physical Plant), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Ramu Muthiah (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Bill Buntain (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Cyndie Harris (Physical Plant),  Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Paul Hons (College of Education), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center)

Guests
Richard Anderson (Computing Center), Charlie Andrews (GALMAC, College of Education),  Travis Brown (Computing Center), Daren Dugan (Computing Center), Matt Duncan (College of Arts and Sciences), Richard Harris (Computing Center), Burton Lee (College of Music) Patrick McLeod (Computing Center), Panos Roussos (ABN Lan Mgmt), Jason Myre (Computing Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing Center), Curry Searle (College of Arts and Sciences), Chris Stoermer for Mike Hatch (College of Business), Craig Terrell (Computing Center), Scott Windham (Computing Center), David Wright (College of Education)

Minutes
Minutes from May 3, 2002 were approved as written.

Subcommittee Reports

Unix Support Committee
Allen Bradley reported that the UNIX Support Committee had developed a formal position statement.  Review the "Position Statement from the UNIX Support at UNT Committee" for details.  In summary:

  • Individual departments will select software versions and services to be installed (RedHat Linux is the preferred, default platform when applicable)
  • A Linux training roadmap (courses modules with pre-requisites) for Network Administrators has been developed and will be taught by members of Campus Wide Networks and the College of Arts and Sciences (others may volunteer)
  • First level support for distributed areas will be provided until departments are fully trained and staffed (the long term goal is to provide second level support)
  • Actions to secure default operating system installations are highly recommended in order to avoid compromises

Student Computing Committee
The Student Computing Committee will meet next week.

Cooperation and Coordination Committee
A current update of the Cooperation and Coordination Committee is forthcoming.

GroupWise 6 Client Rollout Strategy
Jason Myre announced that the rollout of GW 6 can be done at any time.  Contact Jason to schedule the upgrade.  GW 6 allows intruder detection and caching mode to be enabled.  GW 6 CD's are available for distribution.

McAfee License Distribution
Travis Brown announced that the McAfee software license was renewed.  The home version (for faculty and staff) is available for download.  Students in dormitories can receive full versions. Because the new license requires that all users authenticate before downloading, the new software is no longer available on the ftp site.  Visit the Campus Wide Networks site for more information.  

Vulnerable Systems Notifications
Richard Anderson announced that the second round of vulnerability scanning was completed on May 30, 2002.  Over 4000 nodes were scanned (not including dormitories).  Approximately 500 machines have security-related issues, however, some may be false-positives.  DCSMT members agreed that the best method for delivering scanning results to network managers would be through the submission of Remedy Change Requests.  Change requests will be manually routed to subnet contact persons, with the contact person as the originator of the ticket.

Charlotte Russell announced that the security survey (assessment of security practices) is currently in review but will be completed soon.  The Information Security Group would like to meet with individual network managers to discuss current security practices. 

HAMS Upgrade to Dynamic DNS
No report.

Old Business
None.

New Business
Maurice Leatherbury announced that a new TIF grant is available in the amount of $670,000.  The grant allows for funds to be used for course development performed by contract labor (non-UNT labor).

Maurice also announced that the Health Science Center will participate in DCSMT meetings via video-conference when HSC related agenda items are addressed.

Status Reports
Chris Strauss announced that Remedy support documents are available.  

Wil Clark reported that his computer support specialist position is open.

Daren Dugan reported that only three Netware 4.11 servers are active on campus.  Daren projects that Netware 6 will be added to the tree at the end of June.

Craig Terrell reported that he tested netware server storage configurations on the new SAN.  Code appears to be working well.

Travis Brown reported that he is working on version two of iatro.unt.edu.  Plans are to move away from send mail and to send virus notices once a day.

Allen Bradley announced that Jason Gutierrez has a new baby boy.

Jason Myre reported that he will postpone the official switchover to GW Web Access 6.0 due to web server related concerns).  Jason also reported that GW servers will be migrated to eDirectory (Jason will give one week of advance notice before the migration) and, that he is tossing around ideas for spam filtering.

Gary Mathews reported that he has been working on faculty workstation upgrades.

Paul Hons reported that he saw a demo of ZENwoks 4.  For those who are interested in registering for Novell's Brainshare conference, Paul recommends visiting Novell's site.

Bill Buntain reported that he spoke with Cisco about problems with the core switch.  Cisco will send a consultant to UNT's site to search for the causes of problems.  Bill also reported that Datacom now has the ability to monitor switches in closets, which may require a re-map of the network.  Attila Hakimoglu can give insight on how to use CiscoWorks. (The Unicenter product is designed as a noc type of application and will not be propagated out.)

Richard Harris reported that EIS core project team members met (seven groups from UNT Denton, and seven groups from UNT Health Science Center @ Ft. Worth).  By unanimous consent, Peoplesoft was recommended.  UNT's Steering Committee accepted the recommendation, and the Board of Regents authorized permission to negotiate with Peoplesoft.  CYBER has been chosen as the software implementation partner.  Intense training for project team members will commence soon.  The finance module of the system is scheduled for completion in the fall. The human resource module is scheduled for completion in January 2003, and the purchasing module is scheduled for completion one year from now.  Total budget for the project is $20 million.

Mike Maner reported that all switches will now have ip addresses.  Mike also reported that Datacom has been investigating temperature problems in telecom closets; Datacom is working through Ghost issues; a new datacom page is being developed; and either Mike or Attila may be consulted for consultation on the use of Ciscoworks.

Scott Windham reported that videoconferencing is expanding (he's now working with Midwestern State University). The Center for Distributed Learning is working to allow video-conferencing with non-state entities.

Chris Stoermer reported that he will be purchasing InaQuick software (see www.inasoft.com), which creates virtual images of machines which can not be altered (an alternative to ghosting).  The software returns a machine back to it's normal state as long the machine is not booted from floppy.  Costs are $18 per machine.

Kirk Kelly announced that Housing servers are now running Netware 5.1.  Information is now available on browsers for incoming freshman and parents.  Those who wish to have web links published should contact Kirk.

Bruce Pollock announced that Panos Roussos now works in ABN Lan support.  Bruce also announced that he is implementing native file access, and, that he is working on NDS issues.

Tim Christian reported that he will be meeting with Internal Audit to discuss network monitoring and testing.  A random sample of user accounts will be testing to see if they are assigned to actively employed faculty or staff.

The meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on July 18, 2002.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.