Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


 

Meeting Minutes

September 6, 2002

Members
Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (Physical Plant), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Ramu Muthiah (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing Center), Paul Hons (College of Education), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Sciences), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center)

Guests
Shawn Adams (Housing-Resnet),  Richard Anderson (Computing Center), Philip Baczewski (Computing Center), John Berra (Libraries), Jim Byford (ABN LAN Mgmt), Brendan Carroll (ABN LAN Mgmt), Joseph Cranmore (Computing Center), Daren Dugan (Computing Center), Judy Hunter (Libraries, GALMAC), Patrick McLeod (Computing Center), Jason Myre (Computing Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing Center), Craig Terrell (Computing Center), Scott Windham (Computing Center), David Wright (College of Education)

Philip Baczewski convened the September 6, 2002 DCSMT meeting in Maurice Leatherbury's absence.

Minutes
Minutes from August 2, 2002 were approved as written.

Subcommittee Reports

Student Computing Committee
Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported that the Student Computing Committee has not met.

Security "Code of Good Practices" Draft
Charlotte Russell reported on security audit findings and recommendations made by Internal Audit as follow-up to their recent Internet Security audit.  Findings included: a lack of standards for performance of monitoring activities, performing and storing appropriate back-ups, monitoring non-active user sessions, and periodically reviewing users with current access for appropriateness.  In order to comply with Internal Audit's recommendations, it was agreed that a "Code of Good Practices" document would be drafted for approval by the end of August that would sufficiently address these concerns. Drafts of documents that address security for windows 2000 workstations and UNIX systems can be found on www.unt.edu/security.  Charlotte requested comments and suggestions from DCSMT about the drafts.  A final version of the "living" document is due for review by Internal Audit at the end of October.

NFAP for Mac
Brendan Carroll reported several problems associated with native file access protocol. Problems included password management issues and loading problems.  Brendan invites discussion of NFAP on UNT-NETMAN.

New Business

SPSS for Windows and Mac
Philip Baczewski reported on issues related to compliance with the SPSS software license.  (UNT may be out of compliance with the licensed agreement.)  Philip needs an accurate count of the number of copies in use and also needs feedback from each area on any new software that may be needed.  Current options for compliance are to increase the number of licenses or to move to metered use.

Old Business

Apple OS X Technology Assurance Program
Philip Baczewski reported that the Apple OS X Technology Assurance Program contract is in the university attorney's office.  He is optimistic to have OS 10.2 by the end of the month.  This program will include current versions of the OS but does not include media.  See Philip for more information.

Status Reports
Jim Curry announced a new pre-production tablet computer from Acer.  The computer is designed for pen computing.  Features include a pIII 800 mhz processor, 256 mg ram, 30ghz harddrive, with 2 USB ports, modem, firewall, credit card reader, standard keyboard, and 802.11b built in with 802.11a compatibility.  Cost for the tablet computer is estimated at $2000, however, no formal pricing has been set.

Jim also announced changes for Dell notebook computers.  The cost of high-end models (P4, 2ghz, 512k, etc.) will increase to $2828.  In addition, DCSMT approved a motion to drop low end models and will discuss adopting the Acer tablet computer. 

Representatives from HP initiated contact with Jim to find any persons interested in HP servers and workstations.  Contact Jim for more information.

Iomega is discontinuing IDE zip drives in use on campus.  Anyone interested in purchasing 750 mg zip drives with USB should contact Jim.

Statistics for Microcomputer Maintenance reflect a huge surge in computer purchases during the last two days of fiscal year FY02 ($250,000 in orders).  Orders for COBA and an additional 250 orders from other areas of campus are also queued.  Delays for new orders will be encountered until the orders currently in the queue are completed.

Daren Dugan announced that Netware 6 is currently being rolled out.  Areas who wish to move to Netware 6 will be upgraded to eDirectory simultaneously.  Contact Daren to schedule an appointment.

Craig Terrell announced that two of three SIT servers are on the SAN.  He's currently testing the cluster.  After testing is complete, students will be able to retrieve files and access home directories.  Craig is also working on a method to synchronize passwords.

Brendan Carroll announced that he is preparing to deploy the Merlin wireless pc card.  Brendan also announced that the President's Office has requested that he investigate the feasibility of the installation of network cameras on specific building on campus.  Anyone who would like to give their input re: security, privacy, effects on network, etc. can send comments to Brendan.

Bruce Pollock reported that he is working through native file access problems associated with slow/no login.

Mike Maner reported that the Research Park may be on-line (on the network) on November 1, 2002.  No fiber has been installed due to unforeseen complications.  At this time, the City of Denton will provide one fiber pair.

Scott Windham reported that a new Data Communications web page will be released soon.  A new monitoring tool will be included.

Mike Hatch reported that the last of the new COBA machines will be delivered next week and will be deployed shortly thereafter.

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported that faculty members may not be aware that the adaptive lab facilities are available in ISB 110.  Elizabeth asked DCSMT to notify faculty members.  There is an article in Benchmarks that gives more information including location and other changes related to the adaptive lab. 

The meeting adjourned at 11:25 am.


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on November 14, 2002.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.