Distributed Computing Support
Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (Physical Plant), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing Center), Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Ramu Muthiah (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)
Ginger Boone (University Union), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing Center), Paul Hons (College of Education), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center)
Richard Anderson (Computing Center), Philip Baczewski (Computing Center), Travis Brown (Computing Center), Daren Dugan (Computing Center), Axton Grams (Computing Center), Judy Hunter for Pamiela Hight (GALMAC, Libraries), Matthew Kernan (Computing Center), Rory Rivoire (Computing Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing Center), John Stanfield (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Scott Windham (Computing Center), David Wright (College of Education)
Minutes from November 1, 2002 were approved as written.
Philip Baczewski convened the November 15, 2002 DCSMT meeting in Maurice Leatherbury's absence.
Charlotte Russell reported on Incident Handling procedures involving UNT vs. non-UNT computers. Some incidents can result in escalation to other administrative departments on campus for disciplinary or legal action (i.e. Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities, UNT General Counsel, UNT Police department, etc.). Attempts should be made to handling security incidents administratively, i.e. without the involvement of legal entities, where possible. Security Incident Handling Procedures will be made available on the Information Security website, http://www.unt.edu/security. In the case of incidents involving non-UNT computers, computing staff should not attempt to confiscate the computer, or detain an individual responsible for the computer against their will. Initial efforts to contact individuals responsible for security incidents related non-UNT computers may need the additional involvement of department heads or designees for identification purposes.
Rory Rivoire reported on the wireless network implementation. There are several concerns about the project:
Rory will work with the Information Security team on security implications and would like feedback from DCSMT regarding the types of devices currently in use in each area, wireless needs for each area, and the names of those who would like to be on the network. He would like for DCSMT to test the access points that are currently in place. Rory will post updates on the network managers list. Ideas for a Wireless Technology group as well as a portable testing center (using laptops, handheld devices, etc.) were considered but have not been finalized.
Philip reported that the SPSS enterprise license purchase is moving forward and may solve a number of problems that have been addressed.
Chris Strauss reported that we are thirty days away from the estimated move date to Remedy 5.1 (December 16, 2002). Any issues with technology could possibly postpone or delay the implementation. When Remedy 5.1 is rolled out, clients installs should be updated to 5.1. The system will be integrated with ldap and authentication will take place on the authentication servers (with euid and eaglemail password). Passwords will not will be stored in Remedy. Password changes can be made locally and they will pass over to the authentication server. The web interface is browser and java specific. There are many issues with the browser. Chris will post notices on the progress of the project to the network managers list.
Travis Brown reported that the new Iatro is up behind web director. Istats should be up by the end of the day.
Kirk Kelly reported that he is studying the implications of a power outage on the west side of campus during Spring Break of 2003. The outage is scheduled to last 3-5 days to create infrastructure for a new residence hall.
Rory Rivoire reported that power outages can shut down communications on the network.
Wil Clark reported that he is investigating a telephone system upgrade.
Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported that general access lab managers have begun their portion of the student computing survey.
The meeting adjourned at 11:25 am.
Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.
Page last modified on January 17, 2003. Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.