Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

January 17, 2003

Members
Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (UNT Facilities), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Sr. Director of Academic Computing and Asst. to the AVP Computing and Communications Services), Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Ramu Muthiah (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing Center), Sandy Burke (Computing Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (Libraries), Paul Hons (College of Education),  Mike Maner (Computing Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science),  Chris Strauss (Computing Center), Mike Wright (Computing Center)

Guests
Joe Adamo (Computing Center), Richard Anderson (Computing Center), Philip Baczewski (Computing Center), Travis Brown (Computing Center), Patrick Dolan (Computing Center), Axton Grams (Computing Center), Jason Gutierrez (Computing Center), Lee Haughton (UNT Facilities), Judy Hunter (GALMAC, Libraries), Jennifer Lafleur (Computing Center), Jason Myre (Computing Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing Center),  Mike Sanders (UNT System Center @ Dalls), Yoke Teo (Computing Center), Craig Terrell (Computing Center), Scott Windham (Computing Center), David Wright (College of Education)

Minutes
Minutes from December 6, 2002  are pending approval at the upcoming February 7, 2003 meeting.

Philip Baczewski convened the January 17, 2003 DCSMT meeting in Maurice Leatherbury's absence.

Computing Lab Survey
On behalf of Maurice, Philip Baczewski requested responses to the computer lab survey.  Information needed includes the following:

  • Number of computer labs, classrooms, etc. that were on campus as of May 2002
  • Number of institutionally owned computers and workstations as of May, 2002 that were accessible by students
  • Name of lab or classroom (e.g., "Art General Access Lab," "English Technical Writing Lab")
  • Location of lab ("Art 232", etc.)
  • Number of Windows PC's
  • Number of Macintoshes
  • Number of Linux machines

Please send the information to Maurice.

State of Texas Connection to National Light Rail, "Texas Triangle"
The State of Texas is proposing an initiative to build an educational network provisioned by educational institutes that will be connected by dark fiber.  The goal of the initiative is to increase bandwidth and lower costs.  Funding possibilities for the project (to Internet 1 and Internet 2) are in the beginning stages.  Dark fiber will connect Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and Austin and may include a connection to Lubbock.   

Zoomtext License
Philip is requested information regarding Zoomtext licenses in the general access labs.  It may be appropriate to renew licenses, however, it is not known which department purchased the initial license.  In addition, information regarding the number of licenses in use (and location), and, the names of DCSMT areas which have a need for the license is also needed.  Currently, UNT Libraries has Zoomtext installed on public workstations.  A site license for 50 users is available at a cost of $1900, and includes an upgrade from 7.11 to 8.0.  Pam Hight will forward information to Philip, and Philip will follow-up on this issue.

Students in the Tree Status
Craig Terrell reported that storage has been added for the SIT project, all servers are connected to the SAN with fail over, and the web-interface is complete.  Students will be able to log in on lab machines or any machine on campus with a Novell client.  (Old versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer will not work.)
There are issues with random accounts having the ability to log-in- Craig is working with Novell to resolve those issues. Testing will begin after this issue is resolved.   

Spam Assassin
Travis Brown reported that Spam Assassin was implemented about a week ago as a system wide implementation.  The product will filter up to 90% of spam based on personal preferences, and also does tagging.  Rules were added to post fix which will block mail if a reply to the sender can not be made.  Travis will deliver a progress report in a few weeks. E-mail questions to Travis.

Adobe Presentation Possibilities
Mike Wright reported that the Adobe contract is up for renewal in June.   In February, the six month maintenance agreement will become effective.  Mike provided copies of price lists to DCSMT members for review (the price list will be posted in February).  For convenience, Mike has assimilated lists of Adobe orders for DCSMT areas beginning as far back as June 2001. Mike will send a message to the netman list for those who are interested in an attending an Adobe presentation. 

Old Business
None.

New Business
None.

Status Reports
Chris Strauss reported that he is still preparing for the implementation of Remedy 5.1.  The earliest release date will be in early February.  The change over will require that you use alerts instead of notifier.

Axton asked if any areas were using SQL server.  The general consensus was that most areas were running it.  Axton will send an inquiry to the netman list.

Tim Christian reported that CASCSS moved to a new location- GAB 313.

Craig Terrell reported that all ID photographs will be released with the new SIT system.  Dissemination must be approved by the ID Card office.

Jason Gutierrez reported that most areas have picked up their copies of Jaguar.  Areas who need copies or who have not picked up their copies should see Jason.

Scott Windham reported that enrollment has increased in video conferences.

Mike Maner reported that the EIS group moved to the Research Park.  The Research Park is on-line.

Rich Anderson introduced Patrick Dolan as the new Information Security intern.  Patrick McLeod has filled the vacant Research and Statistical Consulting position.  Rich also reported that the IDS will be inserted into the network, and will act as a data gathering device.  More information will be forthcoming regarding the IDS.

Pam Hight reported that two Novell servers were migrated.

Mike Sanders reported that he has been covering video conference classes and is trying to get through the week.

The meeting adjourned at 11:40 am.


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on February 19, 2003.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.