Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

June 20, 2003

Members
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (UNT Facilities), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Ramu Muthiah (School of Community Service), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center),  Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences),  Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science),  Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt)

Guests
Philip Baczewski (Computing and IT Center), Travis Brown (Computing and IT Center),  Jim Byford (ABN Lan Mgmt), Cliff Cozzolino (Computing and IT Center), Axton Grams (Computing and IT Center), Jason Gutierrez (Computing and IT Center), Lance Harris (Computing and IT Center), Richard Harris (Computing and IT Center), Lee Haughton (UNT Facilities), Judy Hunter (GALMAC, Libraries), Chris Latson (UNT Facilities), Jason Myre (Computing and IT Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing and IT Center), Alana Skoric (Computing and IT Center), Mike Williams (Computing and IT Center), Scott Windham (Computing and IT Center)

Approval of Minutes
Minutes from June 6, 2003 were approved with changes.

WHAMS Review Update
Joe Adamo reported that data for WHAMS (web version of HAMS) is being gathering into a requirements document and that the system is in the testing phase. The requirements document will be circulated for DCSMT input. 

Old Business
None.

New Business
None.

Status Reports
Judy Hunter reported that general access labs are discussing a name change.  Judy will get back to DCSMT with more information about the name change as it becomes available.

Lee Haughton introduced Chris Latson, a new student worker.

Jason Gutierrez reported that he now has the beta client for the JAVA GroupWise 6.5 client.  Jason is asking DCSMT areas to test the beta client.  The test site can be found at http://gwbeta.unt.edu.  There is a discussion forum on the web site where news will be posted. Archiving is not yet available (proxy crashes). Send e-mail to Jason if you have questions.

Jason Myre reported that he will be replacing hardware for eight new mail servers.  Jason will send out a schedule.  Approximate downtime: 2 hours.  

Jason also reported that GWIA has not been migrated.  The migration will be re-scheduled.

Axton Grams reported that because of scheduling delays for the roll out of Remedy 5.0, he and Chris will roll out version 5.5 instead.  Functionality of Remedy 5.5 should be the same as 5.0.  The helpdesk application will be switched to 5.5.

Alana Skoric reported that she is still in the middle of the EUID consolidation.  She is working with Dan Freise to synchronize the directors.  The target date for migration is July 6, 2003.

Allen Bradley reported that Alana Skoric has moved to the Network and Communications Services (NCS) division of the Computing and IT Center.  She will be working with eDirectory.  NCS welcomes Alana to the group.

Joe Adamo reported that baseline field testing of the wireless network is underway.  DCSMT representatives will be notified in advance that testing will take place in their areas.

Joe also reported that the layer 3 conversion has been completed for the Registrar's area and will begin for COBA soon.  Contact Mike Maner or CR Chevli if you have questions about the layer 3 conversion.

A proposal for an upgrade from a DS3 to an OC3 is in progress.  The OC3 will provide redundancy to the Research Park and the UNT Health Science Center at Ft. Worth.  The process is in the vendor selection phase.  

Data Communications is still waiting for responses from the Dial-Up RFP (request for proposal).  No recommendation for a specific carrier will be made but information from internet service providers will be provided to dial-up users.  Some ISP services may be free.

Mike Hatch reported that his area is scheduled to move to a layer 3 switched network in July.  Mike also reported that he is the process of ghosting faculty workstations as part of plans to remove administrator privileges.

A retirement reception for Jan Brothers, lab manager for COBA, will be held on July 3, 2003.  Jan's last day at work is August 4, 2003.  COBA will seek to re-fill the position at the CSS3 level.  Mike hopes to have someone in place before Jan leaves.

Richard Harris reported that he attended an Information Technology Council for Higher Education (ITCHE) meeting in Austin.  Legislation has been passed to establish the ITCHE, which is made up of chief information officers of university systems in Texas.  The task of the group is to review rules proposed by the Texas Department of Information Resources (TxDIR) for applicability to higher education.  Higher education rules will be analyzed by ITCHE before adoption by TxDIR.  The group is chaired by Claire Goldsmith.  Forward ideas to Richard Harris.  University systems (and some individual universities) represented include Texas A&M , University of Texas, Texas State, University of North Texas, University of Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Midwestern, Texas Southern University, and Texas Woman's University.  

Jim Curry reported that he has had two excellent weeks of using Ghost- everything is running smoothly.

Jim also reported that he is testing two new products: a new tower case and an ITX.  The tower case fits into the footprint of a desktop and has a quiet, large, 8" fan.  Jim is waiting on the latest motherboard. Contact Jim if you would like to take a look at one.  

Jim is experimenting with the ITX, which is small and not for a power user.  It is quiet, inexpensive (less than $500 per box) and not expandable.  Windows XP can be added along with additional memory.  There are plug-ins for keyboard, mouse and monitor.  

Jim will bring both products to the next DCSMT meeting.  Contact Jim if you would like more information.

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported that Solaris 9 training has arrived.  A notice was sent to the netman list.  Elizabeth also reported that the Gauss server has a new set up applications called Stat Transfer which can be used to transfer data to new formats (i.e. data created using old applications).  The software has to be metered. Faculty or staff who desire to try the new software can go to the ISB lab.

Tim Christian reported that he has a new Unix box to interface with an MS SQL server.

Maurice Leatherbury reported that Mark Wilcox of WebCT, installed new WebCT Vista 2.0 software.  The Center for Distributed Learning is in training.  Intentions are to make WebCT fully redundant.  Courses will be migrated in spring of 2004.  Test courses will be up in summer or fall.

Maurice also announced that the next DCSMT meeting will be held on July 18.  (The next regular DCSMT meeting would have been held on the fourth of July holiday.)

The meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on July 28, 2003.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.