Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

August 1, 2003

Members
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (UNT Facilities), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences),  Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center) 

Guests
Philip Baczewski (Computing and IT Center), Travis Brown (Computing and IT Center), Jason Gutierrez (Computing and IT Center), Judy Hunter (GALMAC, Libraries),  Krysta Kaye (UNT Libraries), Jason Myre (Computing and IT Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing and IT Center), Robert Wellman for Paul Hons (College of Education), David Wright (College of Education)

Approval of Minutes
Minutes from the July 18, 2003  meeting were approved as written.

E-Mail Retention Policy/Possible Solution
Maurice Leatherbury gave a brief history of the DIR requirement to retain electronic records.  In the past, retention of e-mail was the primary responsibility of computer users.  New state policy is now more strict.

Jason Myre reported that the state law divides electronic records into three categories: administrative (internal correspondence for administrative functions like budgets, IRC, managers, etc.); general (routine business correspondence); and transitory (miscellaneous).  Retention requirements for administrative e-mail is three years.  Retention for general e-mail is one year.  And, retention requirements for transitory e-mail is "as needed".  

Jason described an automated, administrative archiving method that would mimic GroupWise.  Data could be filtered and injected into an oracle database.  One copy of the message would be saved per post office.  Oracle database filtering rules would be defined and the retention length would be based on specified definitions.  Cost of the software is approximately $150,000 for the hardware and software.

Old Business
None.

New Business
Maurice reported on the State Optical Network.  The president of UT Austin called a telephone conference of most of the presidents of universities in the state of Texas who have interests in research. The goal of the conference was to devise a plan to acquire funding to join the National Light Rail.  University presidents would be required to set up a governance structure.  Negotiations are currently taking place to define the structure.  The North Texas gigapop is working with the Houston gigapop to discuss the management structure and both groups are awaiting the outcome of the Presidents' initiatives.

Status Reports
Travis Brown reported that he is replacing Alana on the implementation of the LDAP.  The name of the service has been changed to IDMGMT.  See Travis for the revised web address of the system.  The system has been in production since yesterday morning.  Let Travis know if some features do not work.  Iplanet will be up as long as needed.  e-Directory will become more stable.  LDAP will remain active until August 11, 2003.  Eaglemail passwords are now in the d-base and euids are now consolidated.  Users who log in using an incorrect euid will be notified.  IDMGMT is in sync with Eaglemail.  Users who do not have internet services access must acquire access before they will be able to use the services that are dependent on IDMGMT.

Chris Strauss reported that the plan to cut over to Remedy 5.5 on August 9, 2003 is still in place.   The windows interface will be the same; however Chris is not certain if authentication taken against web interfaces will be the same.  Testing is being conducted on the different technologies that will connect to e-Directory.  DCSMT area should expect to hear from the Remedy team when access to the system is available.  Areas will be asked to check user groups to ensure that group structures are correct.

Philip Baczewski reported that the new account management page will sync records in auth.  Allen Bradley added that DIR XML will automatically authenticate.  Issues regarding whether or not faculty or staff will have Eaglemail accounts are unresolved.

Philip also reported that a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) bulletin was released for a windows RPC services buffer overflow vulnerability. DHS and Microsoft recommend blocking tcp ports 135-139 and 445. 

Jason Myre reported that a hardware migration will take place tomorrow.

Kirk Kelly reported that Traditions Hall is set to go up in the fall.

Pam Hight reported that the air conditioning system in the Library Annex went down.  She is waiting to hear about  problems associated with the new A/C unit.  Pam also reported that migration to Windows XP is 90% complete.

Joe Adamo reported that the network management project group has been meeting with different department.  Joe also reported that wireless site surveys are being conducted in various buildings on campus (a few test access points are installed); and that he is in the process of ordering an OC3.  Contracts for the OC3 are pending.

Mike Maner reported that he is going through the process of ordering Packetshaper Packeteer to manage traffice between UNT and the internet.  Mike also reported that Cisco IOS software is being upgraded due to a vulnerability.  The project is going well.

Judy Hunter reported that the General Access Labs have an official logo and that each lab area now has a 'color'.

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported on the status of Freshman Orientation.  During orientation, Elizabeth emphasized the advantages of using UNT student storage.  Elizabeth asked Allen Bradley if a tutorial on how to use the storage system was available (Allen will check on this).  Comments from fathers of new students included statements regarding connection of wireless access points.  Kirk Kelly will post information on the Resnet web page requesting that students seek permission from Housing computing management before adding any non-pc devices to the network.  Elizabeth will help develop posters for campus and dormitory labs regarding availability of student storage.

Mike Hatch reported that Jan Brothers is retiring.  Her last day at work will be August 4, 2003.  Because applications for Jan's position far exceeded expectations,  application submissions were stopped this past Monday.

Jim Curry reported that he received mostly bad comments about the three notebooks that were viewed at the last DCSMT meeting.  He has returned them to vendors.  Specifications and pricing for a Dell Centrino D600 will be placed on the Microcomputer Maintenance web site.  A demonstration model will be available at the next DCSMT meeting.

Jim also reported on the new tower case.  The green case has been purchased.  If shipping delays continue Jim will order black production cases to fill immediate requests.  Jim planned to go with the 80 gb IDE drive but stock was too low.  He plans to order 120 gb serial drives instead.  Contact Jim if you have any questions.

Tim Christian reported that the Network Monitoring Group has been meeting with network managers in different distributed areas.  Tim mentioned that he noticed a device in a departmental areas that monitors temperature, airflow, and motion and can be configured to send alarms to e-mail addresses and pagers.

The meeting adjourned at 11:40 a.m.

 


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on September 04, 2003.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.