Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


 Meeting Minutes

September 5, 2003

Members
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (UNT Facilities), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Scott Joyce (Universities Center at Dallas), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Brad Varcoe (Police Department), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center),  Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences),  Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center), Paul Hons (College of Education), Scott Joyce (Universities Center at Dallas), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Brad Varcoe (Police Department), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center) 

Guests
Shawn Adams for Kirk Kelly (Housing), Rich Anderson (Computing and IT Center), Philip Baczewski (Computing and IT Center), Axton Grams (Computing and IT Center), Lance Harris (Computing and IT Center), Lee Haughton (UNT Facilities),  Krysta Kaye (UNT Libraries), Charlotte Russell (Computing and IT Center), Dennis Scroggins (Computing and IT Center), Scott Windham (Computing and IT Center), David Wright (College of Education).

Approval of Minutes
Minutes from August 15, 2003 and August 20, 2003  were approved as written.

Today's meeting was chaired by Philip Baczewski (in Maurice Leatherbury's absence).

Security Issues
Rich Anderson announced that he would like to establish a sub-committee of DCSMT to look at patch management issues (pushing out patches, automatic update, etc.).  Volunteers to work on the sub-committee included Axton Grams, Paul Hons and Krysta Kaye.  Craig Berry, Tim Christian and Mike Hatch will send representatives from their areas.

Wireless Network
Joe Adamo reported that wireless access points continue to be deployed. Recent worm problems slowed down some progress; however the ISB, Union, ESSC and GAB are being wired.  Libraries is next along with Mathews Hall. Progress is made day-by-day.  Wireless activity has been detected.

Signs are posted in areas where wireless is available. Currently, access is limited to port 80 and users must authenticate with their euid and password. Datacom will work with the Helpdesk to publish information on the types of services that are available via the wireless network, and they are also working to develop a web-site for the wireless network. After the web-site is created, a formal announcement about the availability of the network will be made.

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner indicated that she has had positive feed back from students who are using the wireless network.

Old Business
Tim Christian asked if any progress had been made on the issue of registering student notebooks in order to track access.  Joe Adamo mentioned that there is a connections policy draft in the IRC that has not been voted on that allows network managers to approve or not approve connection of a student notebook to the network. COBA does not approve notebook connections for students (because of issues related to inability to locate registered machines, use of dynamic IPs, etc). CAS is considering adopting a similar plan.  

DCSMT asked if network authentication should be a requirement before allowing a device to be connected to the network.  DCSMT would like this if it is possible. Questions were raised about whether it would be appropriate to control the wired network in a similar fashion to the wireless network or the Resnet network, i.e. required device registration inclusive or room location, mac address etc.  DCSMT unanimously agreed that permission to access the UNT network should be given explicitly, not implicitly.   Currently, implicit approval is given.  As long as there is no negative impact, it would be preferable to require authentication in cases where no prior explicit approval has been granted.

COBA would like authentication to occur for  dynamic IP allocation.  Mike Maner noted that neither dynamic nor static IP status are factors in determining whether or not a machine can be located. Machines that are registered on the network (mac address, IP, location, etc.) can be located if the information in the database is accurate.

One method for implementing an explicit approval process would be to amend the current draft of the network connections policy, which has not yet been approved by the IRC.  DCSMT is requesting that Maurice take this issue to the IRC. 

New Business
None.

Status Reports
Chris Strauss reported that he is chugging along. He has run into a few outstanding issues with Remedy code. Most of the issues have to do with integration with/to LDAP.  Chris is also dealing with problems associated with duplicate euids that have yet to be consolidated.

Axton Grams reported that he is experiencing problems with the identification system. Travis is working on an official campus e-mail directory with will allow preferred e-mail addresses in the account management system (AMS) to be acknowledged in Remedy. Users who have changed their e-mail address in Remedy may or may not be required to change the preferred address if it differs from the AMS address.

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported that the ACS adaptive lab is purchasing a Braille display. Persons who have expressed interest can use the display which works via JAWS software.

Elizabeth also reported that a request to purchase an embosser that embosses Braille as well as charts, spreadsheets, maps, art, paintings, etc. has been made. The price of the embosser is significant ($10,000 and up). The ACS General Access Lab already has an embosser; however Elizabeth would like to know one has been requested in DCSMT areas. If the service is needed the ACS lab would like to provide it.

Charlotte Russell reported on the latest statistics for remediation of the Nachi/Blaster worms.  Network managers and system administrators spent 1781 hours at a cost of $36,355. It is suspected that the figures will triple after figures from all monthly reports have been collected.  The current figures only represent about 1/3 of DCSMT areas. 

Rich Anderson reported that as of today, there are 16 nachi worms on campus, most of which can be found in a single area..  It has been difficult to eliminate infected machines in this area because they continue to be detected.  As soon as a machine gets remediated another machine comes on-line that is infected.

Rich also reported that the Information Security team lost an intern this week.  Patrick Dolan now works with the LDAP team. 

Paul Hons reported that he is getting prepared for the new semester and is running after worms.

Jim Curry reported that he received notice that Ghost 7.5 doesn’t work on the new hardware but the problems were found to be isolated to the G-Disk portion. Scott Windham said that the problem is associated with the serial drives.

Jim also reported that he is delivering machines departments, all of which are in black cases.  Green cases are due to arrive in mid-October en masse.

Tim Christian asked if  anyone is running Inaquick on faculty staff machines. At this time, no DCSMT areas using the software in this capacity.  Tim also asked if anyone is using the professional version of Adaware. Some areas are using it.

Mike Maner reported that Datacom survived the Blaster/Nachi worm, got through registration, and have wired the dorms.  Only a single dorm remains to be wired.  Mike also mentioned that anyone using Charter's services should be aware that a large number of infected machines exist on their network.

Joe Adamo reported that the network management project team has completed all interviews and has done a great job of pulling together information. They are putting together a draft version of the requirements document.

Scott Joyce reported that even though UCD is a small operation, the MS Blaster worm was a big wake up call. Scott estimates that he spent a week’s worth of time putting up a server that forces virus updates.

The meeting adjourned at 11:35 a.m.

 


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on October 01, 2003.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.