Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

February 6, 2004

Members
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (UNT Facilities), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Scott Joyce (Universities Center at Dallas), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Brad Varcoe (Police Department), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center), Yancey Yeargan (College of Engineering), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center),  Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center), Paul Hons (College of Education),  Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center), Yancey Yeargan (College of Engineering)

Guests
Shawn Adams (Housing), Richard Anderson (Computing and IT Center), Philip Baczewski (Computing and IT Center), John Berra (UNT Libraries), Travis Brown (Computing and IT Center), Jim Byford (ABN Support), Chris Cofer (Computing and IT Center), Howard Draper (Computing and IT Center), Matt Graham (UNT Libraries), Axton Grams (Computing and IT Center), Tracy Hansen (Computing and IT Center), Scott Krejci (GALMAC), Frank Lugo (Housing), Jason Myre (Computing and IT Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing and IT Center), Richard Sanzone (Computing and IT Center), Dennis Scroggins (Computing and IT Center), Chris Stoermer (College of Business Administration), James Strawn (College of Arts and Sciences), Yoke Teo (Computing and IT Center), Glenn Thorpe (Computing and IT Center), Mike Williams (Computing and IT Center), Scott Windham (Computing and IT Center)

Approval of Minutes
Minutes from January 16, 2004  were approved with corrections.

Policies and Procedures for Home Use of UNT-Owned Computers
Paul Hons reported that a UNT-owned computer that had been authorized for home use had been modified (missing hardware parts) by the relative of the person to whom the computer was authorized.  There was evidence that other unauthorized activities were originating from the computer, some of which generated a spam complaint.  COE is considering adopting a home-use policy for UNT-owned computers. The policy would potentially include requirements for meeting specified criteria before the computer could be taken home.  Paul asked if other departments had anything similar in place.  

DCSMT believes that departmental or college level management should make the final decision on specific requirements for taking computers home.  (Mike Hatch mentioned that for inventory purposes, computers are assigned to the COBA Computing Center rather than to departments.  Mike Wright mentioned that decaled UNT machines that are taken home must be compliant with the Microsoft agreements. And, DCSMT discussed UNT's property custody receipt, which is strong leverage for accountability of machines that are taken home. )

Responsibilities of CITC vs. Responsibilities of Distributed Support Areas for Desktop Computers
Maurice Leatherbury initiated a discussion of the responsibilities of CITC vs. distributed areas for providing desktop computer support.  Discussions focused on where the responsibilities lie for providing desktop support and also centered on the type of relationship that should exist between CITC and distributed support.   

It has been generally understood that CITC would provide second tier support for college and administrative level support groups.  No support is given to individual college or academic departments (or units).  CITC is not staffed to provide desktop support.  (There are a few legacy linux boxes that have become supported.  In those cases, support does not extend to providing first level assistance, i.e. re-installing or re-ghosting machines.) 

There are other units which fall outside of the college and administrative support structure which are not represented as discrete units nor are they separate from their colleges.  It is not the standard supported machines in the DCSMT areas that are problematic- it is the non-standard computers that become un-supported. Maurice is asking DCSMT members to be the primary point of contact (i.e. the intermediary) for the units that fall outside of the support structure in colleges and administrative departments.

Some colleges and administrative departments have designated support staff to deal with incidents.  CAS is developing an end-user license agreement that will outline end-user responsibilities for prevention and remediation of security incidents.

Linux Support on Campus
Maurice announced that the UNIX Services group will be providing linux and unix desktop support in addition to server support.  Network Computing Services had been providing linux training but the training administrator has been heavily involved with providing LDAP support.  Chris Cofer mentioned that the Red Hat license model may be changing and that it may be possible for UNT to receive an educational discount. Chris will post information to a website as it (information) becomes available.  If a commercial version or third part support of a linux distribution is not needed, Debian will be considered.

Old Business
None. 

New Business
Mike Hatch asked about how new student IDs will be administered.  COBA advisors are reporting that students are being admitted through the EIS system without the use of the social security number as the student ID. In-house COBA systems are seriously affected by this change.

Philip Baczewski reported that he was in a meeting where discussions focused on when the change-over to the new EIS system would take place.  Admissions and Financial Aid may be using EIS as early as April.  Early fall registration (beginning March 29) will be done on the mainframe system.  Early registrants will be converted over to EIS after fall regular registration. 

The mainframe system, I-Services and Voice Response will remain active through summer, servicing May Mini-mester, Summer I and Summer II only.  After April 24, everything dealing with Fall 2004 registration, admissions and financial aid, will be on EIS.   Anticipation is that as of the day after August 11, all student activity will be on EIS.  Before this date the two systems will run in parallel.

Maurice reported that a meeting will take place next week to determine which ID will be used.   During this meeting, Maurice will ask how the ID card system will integrate with EIS.  In addition, DCSMT should send Maurice a list of data elements that are needed for the EIS system.  He will ask a representative from EIS to attend the next DCSMT meeting to discuss these issues.

Status Reports
Jim Curry announced that cost of the Viewsonic 20.1" monitors be approximately $1,121.  Jim has two in his office.  

Jim also reported that he is aware of the V600 and Win2000 issue.  The latest V600 installations caused lock ups and blue screens. ACS is gathering data and at some point this issue will be addressed with network management.  This concern has been elevated within Dell.  It is possible that the scope of the problem may affect other vendors as well. 

Yancy Yeargan reported that the College of Engineering is coming along.  The general access lab may be up and running the week after next.  Interviews for lab monitors are taking place and software is ready to go. There is a minimal windows distribution in development which be ready for deployment soon.  Everything appears to be going well.

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported that she has Jaws 5 authorization disks and a few CD ROMs of the application if they are needed.  Contact Elizabeth if you need the software.

Mike Williams reported that in the last 24 hours McAFee 7 clients have been giving error messages.  McAfee changed the way dat files are retrieved.  A representative from McAfee will be contacting Mike to let him know what is going on.  Areas who rollout the 7.x client should also have the NAI.com site as a secondary repository site.    

Mike also reported that he is working on mirroring ftp.unt.edu.  He will send more information to netman.

The meeting adjourned at 11:15 am.

 


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on March 04, 2004.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.