Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

June 4, 2004

Members
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (UNT Facilities), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Scott Joyce (Universities Center at Dallas), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Brad Varcoe (Police Department), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center), Yancey Yeargan (College of Engineering), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts),  Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center), Paul Hons (College of Education),  Kirk Kelly (Housing),  Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing),  Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center)

Guests
Philip Baczewski (Computing and IT Center), Jim Byford (ABN LAN Mgmt),  Chris Cofer (Computing and IT Center), Dan Glass (Computing and IT Center), Richard Harris (Computing and IT Center), Judy Hunter (UNT Libraries), Krysta Kaye (UNT Libraries), Frank Lugo (Computing and IT Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing and IT Center), Dennis Scroggins (Computing and IT Center), Glenn Thorpe (Computing and IT Center), Steve Vocelka (Computing and IT Center), Scott Windham (Computing and IT Center), David Wright (College of Education)

Approval of Minutes
Minutes from May 7, 2004  were approved as written.

Scheduled Power Outage
Steve Vocelka, Computer Operations Manager in the Computing IT Center, reported that a power outage has been scheduled for June 27, 2004 in order to repair corrosive connections, switches and cables at the Power Plant (east of the GAB building) .   The power outage will affect GAB, ISB and BA buildings. UPS systems will be engaged for critical computing equipment in GAB and ISB after power is brought down, after which generators will be used to maintain electrical power.  The project is managed by Glen Haubold.  Steve is attempting to provide early (advance) notice to all affected areas.  DCSMT areas which may be affected by the the power outage should contact Steve. 

Network Security Scan
Charlotte Russell reported the information security team has not completed network scans, however, scans should be completed soon.

Charlotte also reported that state auditors will arrive next week on Monday to perform network scans as a result of a cash flow audit..  Auditors will be using ISS products and Bindview.  It is possible that administrative privileges on servers will be requested, however, the primary focus of the audit is on financial information (EIS).

State Optical Network
Maurice Leatherbury reported that the LEARN organization has been meeting every two weeks.  Maurice is the secretary of the group.  A meeting has been scheduled for June where the focus will be on interviewing candidates for a chairperson.  During the last  board meeting, LEARN voted to join the national lambda rail project. UNT will pay roughly $20,000 a year for membership. The National Lambda Rail footprint will cover the east coast from Boston, to Jacksonville, to Baton Rouge, into Houston.  In order to connect to the rail, fiber must meet in Houston.  Options for UNT are to lease lambda to Dallas.  UNT may be able to purchase a 20 year irrevocable right to use fiber per an RFP. 

Soon, the LEARN website will go live after design of the website is complete and the domain becomes is registered.  

Brother Printers
Maurice reported that a salesperson from Brother has requested that two evaluation units be placed on campus.  Judy Hunter and the Information Security team volunteered to evaluate the units.

Old Business
None.

New Business
None.

Status Reports
Tim Christian reported that CAS is now using password protected screen saver timeouts.  They are using Zen to push the policy down to workstations.   Tim also reported that everyone has been moved to NTLM version 2, DCOM is no longer in use and administrative system privileges have been removed.  CAS is looking to deploy a product called Miranda.

Paul Hons reported that the power outage occurred last weekend as scheduled, and that it went fairly well.  The first floor main network node was kept up by a generator.  

Elizabeth Hinkle Turner notified DCSMT that the Empl ID will replace the UNT ID (social security number) on new ID cards.   Anyone who may be affected by the change should contact Mary Roby of ID Card systems. 

Allen Bradley reported that an engineer from Novell assisted with remediation of a memory allocation problem which occurred during the implementation of LDAP.  The problems have been repaired.   

Judy Hunter reported that the lab will be down next Thursday and Friday. 

Joe Adamo reported that Datacomm is trying to provide redundant connectivity.  He is reviewing options and trying to determine what can be done about building a triangle from Denton, Dallas and Ft. Worth. Joe also reported that he has been corresponding with the Denton Independent School District regarding the addition of fiber and connectivity with UNT.

The network management project is still in progress.   A test configuration has been developed for evaluating tools that are already available (i.e. CA Unicenter) as well as new tools. Potentially, Datacomm will review BMC software.  A configuration has been agreed upon and has been delivered to the General Counsel's office for review.

Outbound network traffic to Internet 1 has been exceeding inbound traffic.  This is symptomatic of activity that should not be taking place.  Over the next few weeks, DCSMT areas may be contacted by Information Security or Datacomm to remediate issues.

Maurice Leatherbury reported that the North Texas Gigapop is looking at providing Internet 2 services.  Each of the six member institutions are searching for alternatives for Internet 1 service.  Redundant Internet 1 connections may be an alternative. 

Maurice also reported that in April there were 56 million hits on central website.  Some of this is this traffic may be what Datacomm is researching. 

A report from the state of Texas indicates that many institutions were out of compliance with usage of banner statements. 

The EIS party was held on Wednesday.  

The new machine room at the Research Park was brought up with power, two huge UPS systems, new AC unit, etc.  CITC will be migrating equipment as staff begin moving to the RP.   Construction may begin at the end of the year. Plans are to move almost everyone when adequate funds become available.  

Kirk Kelly reported that Housing had a positive experience with the transformer replacement.  Things turned out well.  Facilities provided temporary AC in the closets.  If other areas believe they will also need temporary AC, Kirk advises that areas be certain that drainage is available, specifically if the AC unit will be in proximity of Cisco equipment.

Charlotte Russell reported that Microsoft Training will take place on June 24 and June 25 in ISB 201.  Refreshments will be provided.  Charlotte will e-mail the schedule to those who signed-up. 

Sandy Burke reported that she has been working triage and trying to determine if procedures are working efficiently at the Helpdesk.  Travis Brown and other support areas have done a wonderful job of working with ID pins and updating the Helpdesk on issues.   The Helpdesk will be the interface with the end user for dealing with issues. Call volume is up. 

Mike Maner reported that the power conversion has been going very well.  There were several problems in Mathews but adequate solutions were found.   Room temperatures were kept at 72.  No equipment went off line.

The majority of inbound and outbound traffic is legitimate, however some areas are serving up streaming audio and video.  

In preparation for the arrival of the state auditors, Datacomm has been assessing systems to determine if any visible unauthorized devices (backdoors, no authentication, illegal access points, etc.) are in use on the network.  Several were found and removed.  Others were in the process of obtaining special authorization. 

Datacomm will be working with Steve Vocelka and Facilities to keep things up. 

Richard Harris attended board of regents meeting at the Dallas campus yesterday.  Wil Clark assisted with getting wireless working.  The board approved a tremendous overall budget increase of $20 million, including provisions for a 3% merit increases for faculty and staff.  The budget requests were approved as they were presented.  There was a detailed explanation of each new position.  We will see more activity on the university strategic plan. 

The meeting adjourned at 11:05 am.

 


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on June 17, 2004.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.