Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

August 6, 2004

Members
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (UNT Facilities), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Scott Joyce (Universities Center at Dallas), Kirk Kelly (Housing), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Brad Varcoe (Police Department), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center), Yancey Yeargan (College of Engineering), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller),  Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences),  Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education),  Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Yancey Yeargan (College of Engineering)

Guests
Richard Anderson (Computing and IT Center), Philip Baczewski (Computing and IT Center), Travis Brown (Computing and IT Center), Jim Byford (ABN LAN Mgmt),  Patrick Dolan (Computing and IT Center), Daren Dugan (Computing and IT Center), Jason Gutierrez (Computing and IT Center),  Tracy Hansen (Computing and IT Center), Richard Harris (Computing and IT Center), Lee Haughton (Facilities), Judy Hunter (Libraries), Krysta Kaye (Libraries), Matt Kernan (Computing and IT Center),  Jason Myre (Computing and IT Center), Bahram Paiani (Computing and IT Center), Charlotte Russell (Computing and IT Center), Mike Sanders (UNT System Center at Dallas), Richard Sanzone (Computing and IT Center), Glenn Thorpe (Computing and IT Center), Mike Williams (Computing and IT Center), Scott Windham (Computing and IT Center)

Approval of Minutes
Minutes from July 2, 2004 were approved as written.

Patch Management Committee
Mike Williams reported that the Patch Management Committee will meet to discuss findings from testing.  They will evaluate the pros and cons. There are firewall capabilities built into XP SP2 that may be useful.

Instant Messaging Subcommittee
Jason Gutierrez reported that the instant messaging subcommittee met this week and discussed the future of instant messaging.  They have explored open source and virtual products which are java based and they also discussed a Jabber, Inc. system.  The java based solution received a resounding thumbs down.  The Jabber, Inc. system may be too costly.    This leaves open source system and GroupWise Instant Messenger.  Instant messenger solutions can interact with other systems.  The group will most likely focus on an in-house system because of the inability to support transport systems (i.e. AOL, etc.).

The primary focus of the system may be directed towards faculty and staff usage.  The test base will be expanded to faculty and staff and will also be used in labs to get a better idea of how the system will be used.  These figures may determine which product to use. 

A jabber server will be brought up by the end of the day.

EUID Password Strength and Aging
Maurice Leatherbury reported that we are on track to do an euid password strength and aging roll-out.  Travis Brown noted that a new account management system page has been developed that will search against the NDS tree.  NDS password updates will sync with LDAP passwords and will follow expiration guidelines.  New Novell accounts can also be created that will allow password syncing and strength.  

Jason Gutierrez will send an e-mail regarding user authentication on macs.  Contact Jason if you have any questions in this regard.

GroupWise Authentication Using NDS Passwords
Jason Myre reported that he found a method to age GroupWise passwords.  Authentication to GroupWise will be re-directed to go through NDS (requiring e-Directory passwords).  The username will remain the same as the GroupWise user name.   Password changes in GroupWise must be made by changing the e-Directory password. The ability to change passwords in GroupWise will be disabled.  The new authentication method will be tested in CITC on August 10, 2004.

Maurice reminded DCSMT that it is important to keep a perspective on why these changes are happening.  It is not only a bureaucratic rule-- the procedures are designed to protect users.

Security Audit
Charlotte Russell reported that the security assessment is due today and asked if anyone had questions.  Those who have not submitted assessments should do so as soon as possible.

Blackberry/Wireless Authentication using NDS Passwords
Jason Myre reported on the wireless gateway.  There are server and license fees associated with purchase. Licenses are $135 per license per year.  CITC will purchase the server and the software, however distributed areas will purchase licenses. High level users may be most interested.  Send questions to Jason.

Old Business
None.

New Business
None.

Status Reports
Kirk Kelly reported that he will be leaving UNT to take a position in Arizona.  He appreciates working with everyone in DCSMT and those on campus.  He plans to stay in touch.  He is not certain who will replace him but interested parties can contact John Cox.  Kirk's last day will be Friday, August 13, 2004.  

Mike Williams reported that he is waiting for the new version of McAfee version 8.  He will begin looking into XP Server Pack 2.

Glenn Thorpe reported that he sent a message to the netman group this morning regarding ePolicy Orchestrator.  He has been testing it for a few weeks.  It can be used to manage virus installs, dat file updates and does extensive reporting.  The e-mail includes sample reports and a product sheet.  He will begin working with Brenda Kirk next week to test the software on more machines.  The software is available on CC2 for anyone who may be interested in testing.  The next version of virus scan includes features for port blocking and detection of infected machines.

Bahram Paiani reported that he is upgrading most of the software on mailhost from Redhat 7.3 to Enterprise 3.  He plans to complete the upgrades by next week. 

Pam Hight reported that they are staying busy in Libraries.   They are wrapping up semester projects.

Jason Gutierrez reported that he spoke with Tom Delozier at the Health Science Center.  They are bringing up and test a GroupWise Instant Messenger server.  Jason will test communication between the UNT server and the HSC server.

Jim Byford reported that he just rolled out Office XP and is authenticating using Windows 2003 active directory.  He is applying the tools that he learned in security training.  

Jim also reported that he rolled out the login banner by altering the Novell login banner file, nwelcome.bmp. 

Craig Berry reported that he is dealing with faculty office moves.  The dean of SOVA, Jack Davis, is leaving.

Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner reported that SAS 9 is on Gauss.  It must be metered.

Over the next few weeks, the check-in system will be migrated to a new system that will be load balanced behind a web director.

The Freedom Scientific website includes a link to the March 2004 upgrade to Jaws.  The new upgrade features foreign languages (spanish, french, and german).

Scott Windham reported that he is waiting on a contractor for Sorority Row.  1100 drops have been added.

Jason Myre reported that he plans to re-direct gww.unt.edu to work solely on SuSe.  A security banner will be placed in front of the login page that will require acceptance of the terms of the banner before users reach the login page.  The changes will be placed into production on Wednesday morning.

Daren Dugan reported that he is upgrading Wil Clark's servers.

Philip Baczewski reported that bulk mail will be migrated to a new platform.  Bulk mail runs behind a load director and delivers Eaglemail locally.  The new system is faster and better.  Data changes will be effective in the fall.

Jove.acs.unt.edu will be retired effective September 1, 2004.  Tens of thousands of messages are received each day on this system.  A fairly large number of messages are directed to existing addresses, while a large number are spam.  Users will be directed to use user@unt.edu.  Undeliverable mail will bounce.

Chris Strauss reported that latest Remedy release will eliminate the requirement to have client side java enabled.  Chris also reported that he is working on a knowledgebase for trouble tickets.

Tim Christian reported that he and Mike Hatch worked with Travis on getting class rolls via LDAP for the fall; he is working through new security issues; CAS used group policy to roll out the banner policy; and a method for setting screen saver passwords has been developed for Mac OS X.  Contact Tim if you have any questions.

Maurice reported that a large number of students have been registered and the EIS system is working more or less.  Financial aid is understaffed, which is causing delays.  There are concerns about adequate horsepower for back-end systems.  A Sun 6800 has been borrowed and will be put into place next week to help with the load.  CITC is cautiously optimistic that the registration process will be completed without problems.

Mike Sanders reported that he is in the middle of doing workstation and server upgrades for all of staff at the system center.  He is very busy.

The meeting adjourned at 11:35 am.

 


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on September 16, 2004.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.