Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

September 3, 2004

Members
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ginger Boone (University Union), Allen Bradley (Computing and IT Center), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Jim Curry (Microcomputer Maintenance/Classroom Support Services), Cyndie Harris (UNT Facilities), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Elizabeth Hinkle-Turner (Student Computing Committee, Computing and IT Center),  Paul Hons (College of Education), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Scott Joyce (Universities Center at Dallas), Brenda Kirk (Computing and IT Center), Maurice Leatherbury (Chair, Executive Director of Information Technology and Academic Computing), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Dallas Newell (Registrar's Office), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Brad Varcoe (Police Department), Mike Wright (Computing and IT Center), Yancey Yeargan (College of Engineering), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science), 

Members Present
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Ginger Boone (University Union), Sandy Burke (Computing and IT Center), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (School of Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Pamiela Hight (UNT Libraries), Paul Hons (College of Education), Mike Maner (Computing and IT Center), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center)

Guests
T.J. Adamowicz (Police Department), Shawn Adams (Resnet), Philip Baczewski (Computing and IT Center), Blair Copeland (Computing and IT Center), Jason Gutierrez (Computing and IT Center),  Krysta Kaye (Libraries), Matt Kernan (Computing and IT Center), Austin Laird (Computing and IT Center), Jason Myre (Computing and IT Center), Bahram Paiani (Computing and IT Center), Joel Phillips (College of Arts and Sciences), Charlotte Russell (Computing and IT Center), Dennis Scroggins (Computing and IT Center), Curry Searle (College of Arts and Sciences), Chris Stoermer (College of Business Administration), Glenn Thorpe (Computing and IT Center), Steve Vocelka (Computing and IT Center), Scott Windham (Computing and IT Center), UNT Health Science Center guest

The September 3, 2004 meeting was chaired by Philip Baczewski in the absence of Maurice Leatherbury.

Approval of Minutes
Minutes from August 6, 2004 and August 20, 2004 were approved as written.

DNS Issues
Blair Copeland reported that there are compatibility concerns regarding active directory and dns services.  Hostnames are required to match domain names in active directory.  A difference in names may cause compatibility issues. Campus DNS servers can point to the host name. Datacom can more easily support SRV records because it will allow active directory traffic to be more easily recognized and also allows for easier troubleshooting if problems arise.  Blair encourages using a specific domain if using active directory (see Blair for the domain name).  Send email to Blair if you have any questions.

Instant Messaging Subcommittee
Jason Gutierrez reported that testing for GW instant messenger is going well.  There is a third party plug in for VOIP that he is looking into and it will be discussed with the committee.  Jabber server work is going slowly but the committee will continue to look at the product through the month of September.

Browser Configuration for WebCT
Austin Laird reported that he will email the new browser rubric for WebCT.  There is an issue for faculty computers that do not have java enabled. 
WebCT checks for javascript, popup blockers, java, etc.  If not properly configured users receive alerts/warnings.  Austin will send the browser rubric to netman.  Send questions or comments to Austin.

Demonstration of Password Wizard
The demonstration of the password wizard was postponed.  Sandy Burke reported that the reset password function provides warnings for passwords which are weak.  Users are encouraged to choose a "suggestion" for making a password stronger, or they can compose a strong password without the wizard.

Old Business
None.

New Business
None.

Status Reports
Austin Laird reported that the Respondus version of WebCT changed.  Austin will send info about respondus to network managers.

Tim Christian asked about procedures for posting a course syllabus on the web.  Austin and Philip Baczewski recommend using courses.unt.edu.  Contact central web support or CDL for more information.  (People.unt.edu is designed for personal web space.  There are other common carrier issues with recognizing it as an official UNT website. Use of this service is discouraged for course work.)

Tim also reported that the Learning Enhancement Planning Group, LEPG, an IRC subcommittee, is a new group which merges the instructional planning group and the distance learning team.  The groups will cease to exist individually. 

Two weeks ago, CAS broke through the upward trend line of security holes.  They are down to two security holes per host and will be investigating windows thin clients.

CAS is  working to deploy Spybot search and destroy and plans to deploy it so that it runs in a similar fashion as virus scanning software.

Charlotte Russell reported that the antivirus website is no longer located at ncs.unt.edu.  The new location is www.unt.edu/security/antivirus.  Redirects to the new location will be put into place at locations which point to the old page, i.e. ncs.unt.edu/virus and www.unt.edu/virus.

Jason Gutierrez reported that he is patching servers. 

Jason Myre reported that snap-ins have been enabled at the server level. 

Curry Searle reported that  Java 1.4.02 incorporates into mozilla. 

Paul Hons reported that he is starting the semester with new business.

Mike Maner reported that there are software issues with Cisco switches on campus.  The OS will have to be upgraded on switches in closets.  The bug prevents support of 8000 addresses and causes problems in the stack.  Some switches have been upgraded.  If all remains stable, the remaining switches will be upgraded.

Joe Adamo reported that a lot of work went into bringing up the new buildings (Chemistry, Sorority Row, Victory Hall).  

There are problems with cable service.  Plans were to move to satellite service but there are legal issues.  

There are a few anomalies associated with the wireless network.  Users are unable to log on from time to time.  Rory is working on this problem. 

Pam Hight reported that she is leaving UNT.  She will be moving to Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Pam's last day is September 22.  Krysta Kaye is the new DCSMT representative from Libraries.  Libraries will be changing Pam's existing position from a librarian position to a technical position.  They are looking replacements from within the Libraries Lan and in-campus.  The associate dean, Melody Kelly, is the interim department head until a replacement can be found.  If you have any questions, call the Library Helpdesk extension at 3024.

Sandy Burke reported that Helpdesk support during the week before classes went well. Most questions were answerable and were related to "how to do things within the new EIS system" or were WebCT related. 

There were issues with users whose EIS sessions would expire when they go to my.unt.edu page.  The timezone was not set correctly on user computers (central time zone is required).   Other users were told to delete cookies.

Students who had problems with my.unt.edu were told to go to myls.unt.edu.

The Eaglemail link on my.unt.edu page is now functioning again. 

Requests to add new faculty members to the EIS system should now be directed to Donna Asher in the Provosts office.  Student additions should be directed to Loreen Hamilton in the Registrarís office. 

Philip Baczewski reported that bulkmail is now using student and course information from EIS.  Adding instructors to courses is now a function of EIS. Philip encourages network managers to insure that course assignments are correct in EIS.  If issues arise contact area respective department chairs. 

Chris Stoermer reported that a web script is available that posts all of the class meetings in an easily readable display format.  Currently, anyone who looks up a class schedule must look for each class meeting.  Anyone interested in obtaining the script should contact Mike Hatch or Chris. 

Gary Mathews reported that construction in ISB 202 is complete.

The meeting adjourned at 10:45 am.

 


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on September 30, 2004.  Send comments to Maurice Leatherbury.