Distributed Computing Support
Management Team


Meeting Minutes

June 15, 2007

Members
Joe Adamo (Computing and IT Center), Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Philip Baczewski (DCSMT Chair, Director of Academic Computing, Computing and IT Center), John Berra (Registrar), Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts), Ben Bigby (College of Music), Ginger Boone (University Union), Charlie Brien (UNT Facilities),Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (College of Public Administration and Community Service), Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas), Tom McElwee (CITC Microcomputer Maintenance Services), Mike Hatch (College of Business Administration), Paul Hons (College of Education), Scott Jackson (Libraries), Abraham John (VP Student Development), Scott Joyce (Housing), Brenda Kirk (CITC PC/LAN Support), Gary Mathews (School of Library and Information Science), Bruce Pollock (ABN LAN Mgmt), Uwe Rossbach (College of Engineering), Richard Sanzone (Computing and IT Center Helpdesk), Chris Strauss (Computing and IT Center), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Academy of Math and Science)

Members Present
Troy Bacon (AVP Finance and Business Affairs and Controller), Philip Baczewski (DCSMT Chair, Director of Academic Computing, Computing and IT Center), Steve Radcliff (substituting for Craig Berry (School of Visual Arts)), Ginger Boone (University Union), Charlie Brien (UNT Facilities), Tim Christian (College of Arts and Sciences), Chu Chuah (College of Public Administration and Community Service), Nassos Galiopoulos (substituted for Wil Clark (UNT System Center @ Dallas)), Mike Hatch (COBA), Charlie Andrews (substituting for Paul Hons (College of Education)), Scott Joyce (UNT Business Services), Tom McElwee (CITC MMS), Jim Byford (substituting for Bruce Pollock (ABN Lan Mgmt)), Uwe Rossbach (College of Engineering), Richard Sanzone (Computing and IT Center Helpdesk), Chris Strauss (CITC Remedy Admin), Roy Zumwalt (Texas Acad Math/Science)

Guests
T.J. Adamowicz (Police and Traffic), Richard Anderson (CITC Information Security), Chris Bennet (ABN LAN Mgmt), Stuart Christian (CITC Data Com), Blair Copeland (CITC Data Com), John Davis (UNT Facilities), Cathy Hardy (Computing and IT Center), Deke Issac (CITC MMS), Dan Kidd (CITC MMS), Gabe Marshall (CITC Security), Don McClure (CITC Remedy), Bradley Myre (CITC Data Com), Lin Nesloney (CITC MMS), Rory Rivoire (CITC Data Com), Charlotte Russell ( CITC Admin/Compliance), Alex Schatz (CITC Computer Operations), Stormy Shippy (CITC Telecom), Glenn Thorpe (CITC Information Security), Steve Vocelka (CITC Computer Operations), Scott Windham (CITC Data Com), Tri-Ever Rustee (the Wonder Dog)

Minutes from May 18, 2007, were approved as written.

CHANGES TO MMS SERVICES

Tom McElwee introduced Micromaintenance staff that now report to him, including Deke Issac, Susan Pierce, Dan Kidd and Lin Neloney. The www.mms.unt.edu site is still up and running with information regarding MMS operating procedures. MMS will still repair existing computers if they are less than 6 years old and parts are still available. If parts need to be orderd, then there will be a charge for the repair. The FAQ on the MMS web site provides more information in this regard. Susan Pierce can provide information regarding if a MMS-built machine is still covered for repair and/or how long machines will continue to be eligible for repair. Tom McElwee requested that DCSMT form a committee to recommend standard desktop configurations for new Dell and Apple computers. Jim Curry Searle, Mike Hatch, Jim Byford, Troy Bacon, Charlie Brien, and Paul Hons were suggested volunteers for the group. Tom said that he would appoint someone to attend from the MMS staff.

SECURITY INCIDENT REPORT

GabeMarshall distributed Security Incident Reports and reminded the group that any new incidents should be reported to him.

UPDATE FROM MICROSOFT

Due to a schedule conflict, representatives from Microsoft could not come to the meeting, and their appearance was deferred to a future meeting date.

OLD BUSINESS

Philip Baczewski reported on the Microsoft Migration project. A requested meeting regarding the DNS upgrade was held on May 25, with Blair Copeland explaining the work that had been done to date on selecting a DNS product. The decision was to adopt the InfoBlox DNS appliance and an order for a sufficient number of units has been placed. Equipment is expected in the next week with an implementation possible by the end of next week. The migration project is in week 3 of the 3 week delay in the schedule. Dell will be onsite next week. Management training is scheduled for July 9, 2007 and implementation training for July 10. Cathy Gonzales will do user training on the Outlook client. Microsoft Live Communication Server (LCS) is planned to replaces GroupWise Instant Messenger. Tim Christian noted that there is a workaround for use of the Macintosh Entourage client with Exchange, but that it will need a yearly updated certificate. Next Friday in GAB 309 at 10 a.m. there is a meeting of the Outlook rollout working group. It was noted that the migration schedule starts with the CITC pilot on July 12, 2007. It was discussed that IronPort had been identified as an appliance to replace the current top-level mail routing and spam and virus detection, and may be purchased out of the CITC budget in FY08.

NEW BUSINESS

No new business was discussed.

AREA REPORTS

Rich Anderson announced that the security survey required by the State will be released and that anyone who had not completed it this year will be notified and asked to complete the survey.

Chris Strauss reported that updated asset information is now available in the production Remedy system.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:37 a.m. The next meeting is scheduled for July 6, 2007.


Return to Distributed Computing Support Management Team Home Page.

Page last modified on July 1, 2007. Send comments to Philip Baczewski