What is Directory or Public Information?
" . . . information contained in an education record of a student which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed." (1988 Final Regulations)
Directory Information can NEVER include:
- Social security number or
- Student identification number
See University of North Texas Directory Information for those items that can be released.
Can directory information be released to anyone who requests it?
- NO - If the student has requested that directory information be withheld, no information can be released
- outside of UNT except as provided by law.
- to anyone within UNT who does NOT have a need to know.
- YES - If the student has NOT requested that directory information be withheld.