info. at UNT
.withhold directory info
Faculty/ Staff Information:
student can not see
with the law
.policy and notification
.failure to follow the law
What rights do
parents have under FERPA?
- FERPA gives certain rights to parents
regarding their childrenís educational records.
- Rights transfer to the student
- upon reaching 18 years of age or
- attending any school beyond the
- When may a parent access a studentís
- Law allows parental access if student is
claimed as a dependent for Federal income tax purposes.
- Access is granted to both the parent who
claims the student as well as the parent who is not claiming the
- Parent must complete Parental Request for
Academic Information (available in the Registrarís Office or
academic department) each time information is requested. The
following document can be read using Adobe
Affidavit for Academic Information
- How can a parent access student information
if the student is not being claimed by either parent for Federal
income tax purposes?
Consent for Release of Records
- A parent may access student information but
may not act on the studentís behalf except in emergency