The University of North texas
The University of North Texas is a student-centered public research university and
is the flagship of the UNT System.
Founded in 1890, UNT takes pride in its outstanding faculty, high academic standards, and diverse student body. Offering a traditional college experience at an affordable cost, UNT boasts a nineteen-to-one student-faculty ratio and Division I-A athletics, among its many nationally recognized programs. It also is one of the largest universities in Texas, enrolling more than thirty-three thousand students.
UNT is proud of its service to its student body:
- One of the top one hundred colleges for Hispanic students
- One of the nation's top one hundred degree producers for African Americans
- Top ten in the nation for the number of transfer students by U.S. News and World Report
UNT is proud of its excellence in scholarship and research:
- Four Barry M. Goldwater Scholars, in 2006, the maximum number allowed in the national competition and more than any other college or university in Texas
- A library system, with 5.8 million cataloged holdings in five libraries, designated as a major research library by the U.S. Department of Education
UNT is proud of its many top-ranked programs. Among these are:
- The world's leading environmental ethics and philosophy program
- The largest play therapy and emergency administration and planning programs in the country
- The acclaimed jazz studies program, ranked first in the nation
- The health librarianship program ranks second in the United States
- The radio, television, and film program ranks in the top eight of undergraduate programs and the top ten of graduate programs in the nation
Now comprising 167 buildings on 864 acres, the UNT campus includes a
290-acre Research Park where the College of Engineering has three high-powered
microscopes instrumental in nanotechnology and materials characterization —
a collection not found at any other university in the nation.
UNT provides abundant opportunities for its constituents to Discover the Power of Ideas.