Disability Accommodation

Your path to academic success at the University of North Texas may hold some unexpected challenges. The Office of Disability Accommodation works with various offices across campus to ensure you have access to all programs, facilities, classrooms and curriculums.

In addition to meeting your academic goals, this collaborative effort helps make our campus more accessible for everyone.

Academic accommodations

Our office assists with finding adaptive strategies and academic accommodations, if you qualify for services as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended. More than 800 students are registered for the office’s services that include:

  • Arranging classroom service providers such as sign language interpreters and volunteer note takers
  • Facilitating arrangement of adaptive classroom furniture and classroom modifications such as relocating classrooms to more accessible settings
  • Providing access to alternative-format materials such as textbooks on audiotape and in electronic or Braille format
  • Referring students to tutoring services and other academic support programs

Our office also houses an adaptive testing center, which includes access to a closed-caption television (CCTV), JAWS and screen magnification software, as well as test readers and scribes for administering classroom exams. An adaptive computer lab is in Sycamore Hall.

You may register with the office as soon as you are admitted to UNT. However, we recommend that you attend the new student orientation, receive academic advising and register for classes before requesting classroom accommodations.

The Office of Disability Accommodation is in Sage Hall, Room 167. During regular semesters, ODA is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday unless the university is closed.

Parking and transportation services

We have accessible parking spaces located throughout campus. You will need a valid UNT parking permit in addition to a state-approved ADA parking placard or license plate. Our campus shuttle system is equipped with wheelchair lifts and operates day and night. Visit their website for current parking regulations, a parking map and current shuttle schedules.

The Denton County Transportation Authority operates ADA accessible vehicles for traveling around the city and county.

Housing and dining accommodations

You are required to live on campus if you graduated from high school the previous long semester, have completed fewer than 30 semester hours and are enrolled in 9 or more semester hours. Wheelchair-accessible rooms are available, as well as other reasonable adaptations requested in advance. We encourage you to make accommodation requests early in the application process because rooms are assigned in date order.

You can consult with a registered dietician in the Student Health and Wellness Center about special dietary needs.

Personal care attendants and service animals are welcome in the residence halls. If you want to hire an attendant, you may post the job through the Career Center.

More information about housing is at the Residence Life site.

Access to our facilities

Most of our campus facilities are equipped with ramps, wheelchair-accessible restrooms, automatic doors and elevators with Braille controls. However, some older buildings may present challenges and we recommend you contact your academic department for details about the specific facilities where you will be attending classes. If you have mobility difficulties, we encourage you to consider a motorized wheelchair since our campus spans many acres on partially hilly terrain.