Unfiltered web site
The Life of Plants
Beat of a Different Drummer
Smoking facts from Unfiltered
- 31 percent of all Texas public middle school students and 43 percent of all Texas public high school students have tried some form of tobacco products.
- The Centers for Disease Control estimates that, every day, 6,000 teens begin smoking.
- Studies indicate that as many as 90 percent of all smokers begin smoking as teenagers.
- 70 percent of smokers age 17 or under say they regret ever picking up a cigarette.
- One of six deaths in the United States is a result of smoking cigarettes.
- If you smoke, you're 23 times more likely to contract lung cancer than if you don't smoke.
- Smoking is the leading cause of all fatal heart illnesses in the United States.
- About 90 percent of all people with oral cavity or oropharyngeal cancer use tobacco.
- Pregnant women who smoke may cause more than 2,000 sudden infant death syndrome fatalities every year.
- Children of smoking mothers have a one in two chance of having some problems learning to read, write and reason.