Welcome home to UNT
Founded in 1890, the University of North Texas is the oldest and most comprehensive university in the North Texas region. With nearly 120 years of history, we have developed a culture all our own with traditions passed from one generation to the next. From green as our school color and way of life to the lighting of McConnell Tower symbolizing success – these traditions help us celebrate the spirit of UNT. Welcome home.
Atop the seal is the lamp of learning, burning with an eternal flame representing academic achievement and excellence. The beveled lone star in the center symbolizes the great state of Texas.
Mean Green Nickname
There are many spoken origins to the name "Mean Green." The oldest written source comes from a 1967 Dallas Morning News article by Randy Galloway entitled "MEAN GREEN ON THE LOOSE! Defense Swallows Foes For NTSU."
The article features defensive players; James "steals kids' candy" Ivy, Lindy "cheats at marbles" Endsley, Joe "kicks puppies" Greene, Ret "slugs old ladies" Little, Charles "the hatchet" Beatty, Henry "tears up dolls" Holland, Bob "likes to let air out of wheel chair tires" Tucker.
The article describes that around campus, the "Mean Green" phrase originated from Sidney Graham, wife of the Eagles' sports information director in 1966 and soon became a second nickname.
One of these players found additional fame in the NFL. "Mean" Joe Greene went on to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970s. Greene is arguably the most dominant defensive lineman to ever play in the NFL and was the cornerstone of the famous "Steel Curtain" defense. He is also a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and a four-time Super Bowl champion.
Curfew and Spirit Bell
The Spirit Bell was brought to Denton from Michigan in 1891. It was used to signal class changes and evening curfew. In 1906, the 1,000-pound bell was moved from the Old Normal Building to the Auditorium Building because the ringing bell’s vibrations caused damage to the masonry of the Old Normal Building.
In 1923, the bell was moved to the power plant roof. It continued to toll at curfew until students stole the clapper. Although the clapper was recovered, enterprising students again entered the locked and guarded power plant and cut the clapper out with a hacksaw. Dr. Bruce called an assembly the next day to announce that the nightly curfew warnings would be discontinued.
In 1961, the Talons rescued the bell from the sagging power plant roof. They mounted it on a trailer, and it was first rung at a game on September 26, 1962.
In 1978, Talon members drove the bell, welded to a 12-foot trailer, to Austin for a football game between North Texas and the Silver Spurs of UT. After the game, Austin police stopped the car towing the bell as it was leaving Memorial Stadium because the turn signals on the trailer were not working. Instead of issuing a ticket, the police followed them to a hotel so they could unhitch the trailer. The Talons had no choice but to leave it there, repair it and drive it back the next day. Although the trailer was parked sideways with two NT alumni parked on both sides of it, the bell vanished during the night. Days later, the bell was found at an Austin intersection chained to a light post, painted orange with the UT letters. Talons retrieved the bell, and discovered several large cracks in the course of cleaning it.
By 1982, the bell was retired and the Talons fall pledge class of 1981 had it enshrined in the Union near the One O'clock Lounge, where it proudly stands as a symbol of NT tradition and pride.
Although the original spirit bell is retired, the tradition continues. Talons have two small bells and one large bell mounted on wheels. In Fall 2002, Talons alum Keith Schwartz donated a new spirit bell and mounted it onto the tug. These bells are rung to promote spirit at football games, pep rallies, and other school functions.
Official Class Ring
Unique to the University of North Texas, the official class ring portrays our eagle mascot, university seal and McConnell Tower. The two clock faces show different times – one o’clock for the internationally recognized One O’Clock Lab Band, and seven o’clock noting the 1892 curfew for students of Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute.
Traditions of Spirit
Scrappy, the Eagle Mascot
Having gone by names like "Normalites" and "the Normal Boys," a student petition was started in the Fall of 1921 to decide on an official mascot name. A student-faculty council wanted to choose a name not used by any other major Texas school. Some of the choices debated were Dragons, Eagles, Hawks and Lions. The names were submitted to the student body in January 1922, and on February 1, 1922, students voted for the Eagle.
The eagle mascot was brought to life at the NT-Oklahoma Tech football game on October 6, 1950, when Denton merchant Tommy Laney presented No-Name, a live golden eagle (later discovered to be a Southeast Asian Sea Eagle). A contest was offered to name the new mascot, and Scrappy became the first bird at NT. After living at the NT Club House until spring, Scrappy moved to the Forest Park Zoo in Fort Worth until a permanent cage was built for him in fall 1951.
In 1952, an American bald eagle with a 7-foot wingspan was donated by Warren S. Dill. Students named him Beaky in a February 1952 election. But 540 students quickly signed a petition opposing the name. A runoff election took place and Victor won. Victor would have been the first American bald eagle for NT, but he died of heat exhaustion in August before making an appearance. Scrappy returned to NT making special appearances from 1952 until he died in 1959.
In 1960, a new golden eagle was acquired and named Victor. Then the federal government offered NT an American bald eagle in 1962. The bird, named Scrappy, died before it could be transferred to NT.
In 1963, Mr. Eagle became the first human eagle mascot provided by the NT Marching Band. Marching band director Maurice McAdow and Mrs. Helen Wright of the School of Business Administration designed the costume. It was made of leather and plastic with a chicken wire and paper mache head. Eric Brewster, assistant drum major, "flew" into the stadium for the first NT game of the season.
In 1967, Talons purchased a matched pair of crested serpent eagles, christened Scrappy II and Scrappy III. Housed at the Fort Worth Zoo, Talons brought one of the eagles to each home game. Problems began to arise with the live mascots, so the Talons replaced them with an eagle costume.
In 1969, after obtaining permission from the NT Marching Band, the Talons became the caretakers of Scrappy the Eagle.
In 1971, Scrappy was the name of the mascot and by 1973 the mascot was simply called the North Texas Eagle or the Eagle Mascot. Traditionally, the identity of the person wearing the suit is kept a secret. In 1981, the mascot name was Mean Green Eagle and in 1982 simply Eagle mascot. In 1983, the official mascot name was Eppy.
On September 9, 1995 at the UNT vs. Kansas game at Texas Stadium, a new costume debuted and on December 2, 1995, at the UNT vs. Alabama Crimson Tide game, Scrappy fully returned to service as the official North Texas mascot.
The eagle hand sign is our universal sign of pride and unity.
To display your pride:
Hold up your fist.
Make a "V" for Victory using your pointer and middle fingers,
Extend your thumb and curl your fingers slightly towards your palm.
According to university archives, the first formal Homecoming bonfire took place on the Avenue A Street pavement in 1935 prior to the November 9th NT vs. East Texas State University football game. The Eagles scored a 30-6 victory over the Lions.
Homecoming activities were suspended from 1943 to 1945 due to the lack of men on campus who were fighting in World War II. The first postwar Homecoming and bonfire were held in 1946, and in 1948 the first torch-lit parade led students from Chilton Hall to the bonfire.
In 1950, NTSC President W.J. McConnell lit the bonfire to commence Homecoming at the new Eagle Stadium (Fouts Field) construction site on Maple Street and Avenue E. For the next several years, bonfire was held behind Fouts Field.
In 1960, the university entrusted the building of the bonfire to the Talons. The bonfire is built entirely by hand starting one week before the Homecoming game. The bonfire was traditionally built by freshmen and other organizations under Talon supervision. Talons gave a spirit award to the organization that displayed outstanding participation in the bonfire. Today, the bonfire is built entirely by current Talons and Talons alumni.
The old tradition of having associate members stand guard was started after the 1960 pile was lit one night early by pranksters. A new bonfire was built in just one day and ignited on schedule. In 1961, the Talons found a time bomb complete with a timer and seven gallons of gasoline at the site.
The honor of lighting the bonfire is given to those Talons that put the most effort into the building of the bonfire. Talons traditionally names 23 torch carriers to light the bonfire.
In the late 1970's, the bonfire was moved from behind Fouts Field to a grassy area off Bonnie Brae Street behind the former Radisson Hotel, where it is held today. The new tradition of keeping a 24-hour watch on the bonfire stack was started after the brush pile next to the 1989 bonfire was lit. Fortunately, the fire was put out by the Denton Fire Department before any damage was done to the main structure. Our necessity for night watch proved important again in 1997 when a rented generator was stolen, and Greek letters and a chair were left on top of the stack.
Bonfire was cancelled again in fall 2003 and fall 2005 because of a burn ban in Denton county. In 2006 the bonfire returned, but in a smaller scale due to burn restrictions.
Held the morning of the Homecoming game, the parade includes floats made by students, faculty, staff and alumni. The route runs from campus to the downtown Denton square, then back to campus.
Friday Pride Day
Students, faculty and staff wear green every Friday to show their university pride throughout the year.
After the Spirit Bell was retired in 1982, many small bells were used by Talons at games but it was just never the same.
Replacing a 1,000-pound bell would prove to be no easy task. The search for a new bell actually began in 1978 after Talons discovered cracks in the original bell. Over time the cracks grew and warped the sound the bell made until it wouldn’t ring at all.
Of course no everyday vehicle can carry a 1,600-pound bell. Students discovered a military airport tug on eBay. The Tug was a USATS model tug originally designed for the US Army as a utility aircraft tractor with a 60x90 deck supporting loads up to 2,000 pounds, a perfect match. The USATS is claimed to be the most flexible and reliable aircraft tractor on the market built to meet the demands of today’s military, airline or industrial applications.
In order to make the Tug usable and street legal, a great deal of weight needed to be removed. A welder removed as much as possible, welded a carriage onto the deck and mounted the bell.
In fall 2002 the tug debuted as the first motorized bell used in collegiate sports. Driven by the Talons cannon crew - motor pool, the tug proudly showcases the bell. In fall 2008 wider tires and a new driver carriage were added along with a fresh paint job. Though not even 10 years old, the Tug has already become another North Texas tradition.
The Talons began the Fall 1970 football season with a blast as they introduced their newest spirit project, a muzzleloader cannon. The cannon was fired by the Talons cannon crew to signal UNT touchdowns, kick-off, half-time, and the end of home football games as well as special occasions such as University Day. Boomer is a Civil War replica, about two-thirds to scale of a six-pound cannon. It was modeled after cannons originally used as light horse battery by confederate cavalry. Talons worked for more than three years to gild the cannon, receiving donations from many campus organizations to help complete the project. The cannon barrel was cast in Dallas, and Crawford Sloan of the physics shop helped build its carriage. The carriage was built on a trailer and equipped for highway travel so the Talons could take it on road trips. Although Boomer did go to some away games, many stadiums will not allow it because it fires gun powder rather than blank cartridges.
Boomer was originally fired using wadded newspapers. Because the paper occasionally started small fires, the cannon was not allowed on the Fouts Field's artificial turf. Talons cannon crew members now have an option of three firing methods. After the black powder charge is loaded and pierced, the battery unit, a firing squad of the cannon crew can fire electronically, with a live flame, or with the most frequently used brass cap and trigger hammer. A spark is created causing the black powder to explode and results in Boomer’s famous boom.
The 1989 Boomer was also featured in Paramount’s 1991 film, Necessary Roughness. After the film crew saw and heard Boomer fire, they wrote an extra part in the film just for Boomer’s appearance.
In fall 1996, a safety inspector deemed Boomer unsafe due to the deterioration of the combustion chamber. The Talons acted quickly with help from Gus Myers, Chuck Fuller, and Eagle's Nest, and purchased a new 250-pound, 43-inch steel-lined barrel from Dixie Gun Works.
Years later, UNT President Norval Pohl remarked that Boomer would look even more authentic with a limber. After hearing this, the Talons knew Boomer was still not complete and in fall 2007 the limber was introduced. Handcrafted of solid oak, the limber now carries all essentials for firing Boomer and also serves as a seat for Scrappy in parades.
Other cannons have come to UNT and been removed due to safety concerns. Boomer is the only remaining cannon allowed on campus.
North Texas Flag
Designed at the spur of a moment, the North Texas Flag was designed for then University President Dr. Hurley's portable podium. Rather than having a plain podium without University insignia, Jim Hobdy quickly designed what would become the North Texas Flag. The flag was first used in 1986 at an alumni event in Fort Worth.
As time continued the flag gained popularity, but some raised concerns about the flag being an illegal variation of the Texas State Flag. Finally in 2008 university officials researched these claims and found no reason for the flag not to be sanctioned. The North Texas Flag has finally become a recognized university symbol and tradition. Currently the Talons are protectors of the largest version of the flag which was seen alongside Boomer in 1991's Necessary Roughness. The flag is still used to this day.
The "Mean Green Machine" car is a green 1929 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan built in 1931. Ford Motor Company introduced this successor to the Model T in 1929 and named it after the first car made by Ford back in 1903. It was donated to UNT by alumnus Rex Cauble in 1974. In that year, the Model A and a green 1942 military jeep were part of a spirit caravan visiting 12 towns in four days. The car was entrusted to the Talons. In fall 1987, Keith Swartz and Roy Sanchez repainted, reupholstered, and brought the car back to life with the help of Athletic Director Richard McDuffie and Weaver Wisdom. The Model A was driven around the track after touchdowns. As the years continued the Model A needed constant upkeep.
In 2007, Talons President Michael Maher was determined to rebuild the Model A using only original Ford parts with help from Snyders Antique Auto. New upholstery was added and a brand new two-tone paint job displays the North Texas spirit marks.
Lighting of McConnell Tower
When North Texas played SMU in fall 1974, North Texas lost 7-6. After the game, the administration doors were found painted red and blue. This eventually led to the idea of the current tower lights. Talons installed the spotlights on McConnell Tower on November 10, 1977.
The Talons turn on the lights after all North Texas varsity team victories. After evening home football games, Talons lead the victory march from Fouts Field to the tower. Standing atop the Administration Building steps, the Talons lead the crowd in singing the alma mater and the UNT Fight Song. The lights are also turned on for special occasions.
The Fight Song was written by North Texas alumnus Francis Stroup in fall 1939. He wrote it after attending a Saturday night stage show where 'Fessor Graham, director of the Aces of Collegeland swing band, asked for entries in a contest to pick a school fight song. The 1929 graduate came out victorious and his contribution is still held dearly as our UNT Fight Song.
The original words to the Fight Song are:
Let’s give a cheer for North Texas State;
Cheer for the Green and White.
Victory’s in store, what’er the score,
Our men will ever fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Shoulder to shoulder they march along,
Men with a purpose true.
Playing the game for the honor and fame
Of North Texas State and you.
Today we sing:
Let's give a cheer for U of NT;
Cheer for the Green and White.
Victory's in store whatever the score,
Our team will ever fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Shoulder to shoulder we march along,
Striving for victory.
Playing the game for the honor and fame,
And the glory of UNT.
U ... N ... T ... Eagles!
UNT Eagles Fight, Fight, Fight!
Friday Night at Clark Park
Friday Night at Clark Park is the North Texas Pep Rally. Each Friday night before home football games, a pep rally featuring live music, North Texas cheerleaders, dancers, marching band, football players and coaches, takes place in Clark Park (located at the corner of Highland Street and Avenue C). Live music starts at 7:30 p.m. with a traditional pep rally finishing up the night's events. Students, alumni and fans gather at this free event to kick start every North Texas Football weekend. Friday Night at Clark Park is also the kickoff for weekend tailgating.
Mean Green March
The Mean Green March is a parade featuring the Green Brigade Marching Band, the North Texas Dancers, the North Texas Cheerleaders, Talons and your Mean Green Football Team. The march starts at Traditions Hall and proceeds through Mean Green Village, culminating at the football locker room. The Mean Green March takes place two hours before kickoff as the team makes its way to the locker room for final pregame preparations.
Green Brigade March Around / Fifth Quarter Performance
The Green Brigade March Around is one of the highlights of the acclaimed marching band’s game day activities. The event actually begins outside the stadium as the Green Brigade parades through the tailgating areas in route to the stadium and signals that the Mean Green Kickoff draws near. Once inside the stadium the band marches around the interior playing field level of the stadium before entering the playing surface for the finale of the pregame performance. The pregame festivities culminate with the teams entrance to the stadium, when all students, alumni and friends of the University stand and holler “Heeeeeeeeere come the Meeeeean Greeeeeeeeeen!” The Kickoff Cheer is the final component of pregame as the crowd stands with arms and eagle claws extended up and hollers, “Gooooooooooo” until the ball is kicked at which point the crowd chants “Mean Green.” Immediately following the conclusion of the game Mean Green fans are encouraged to remain in the stadium as the Green Brigade Marching Band performs their traditional postgame concert.
Traditions of University
Every April we honor our alumni at the annual black tie Alumni Awards Banquet. Alumni Awards go through a nomination process, a selection committee and the president. They are the highest awards given to individuals outside of an honorary doctorate degree. The highest award is the Distinguished Alumnus/Alumna Award, followed by the Green Glory Award, Outstanding Service Award, Ulys Knight Spirit Award and the President’s Citation. All the past recipients and information on nominations can be found at giving.unt.edu.
Alumni Appreciation Day
For more than 30 years, the university and many academic departments have set aside a day to recognize successful and dedicated alumni, inviting them back to campus for special events.
First held May 10, 1961, when North Texas State College became North Texas State University, this spring event includes games, music and food. The Mayor of Denton reads the document proclaiming the campus as a university, and it is a day we remember and celebrate annually on the first Friday of April.
The Meritum Chapter of Mortar Board began the Honors Day tradition in 1950 as an activity of the chapter. Until 1972, Mortar Board members handled all arrangements for the day, with assistance in later years from the Blue Key Honor Society. In 1972, with leadership from the Student Association and these two organizations, the university assumed responsibility for Honors Day, to help ensure its continuation. Today the event is co-chaired and co-sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs and the Honors College.
Individual colleges, schools, departments and organizations select their most outstanding members for recognition on Honors Day. Inclusion for recognition on Honors Day marks an individual as having attained preeminence in his or her area of endeavor.
Golden Eagles Luncheon and Reunion
The Golden Eagles Luncheon and Reunion is an annual event honoring those who graduated 50 years ago. The event is held the Friday of Homecoming weekend.
Alma Mater — "Glory to the Green and White"
The University Alma Mater, "Glory to the Green and White," was adopted by North Texas in 1922. It was the work of two students: the words by Charles Langford and music by Julia Smith, who later won fame as a composer.
Since 2007, the Flight Memorial Ceremony honors the lives of students, staff, faculty and alumni that have been lost this past year. This ceremony is an important expression of community and common purpose, uniting the past and future of the University. The Flight Memorial takes place the last Wednesday before pre-finals week of the spring semester.
The original lyrics for the song titled "Our College Song" are:
"We’re right behind our college in everything she does,
For we know we’ll never find her in the wrong;
We believe in her standards, and we’ll ever give her praise,
And for her we’ll forever sing this song.
Singing glory to the green,
Singing glory to the white,
For we know our dear old college
Is forever in the right;
Down the corridor of years
We’ll forget the joys and tears,
But the Normal, the Normal, we love.
We’re with her on the platform; we’re with her on the court;
We’re with her on the field the whole day long;
She always stands the test, and we’ll always love her best,
And for her we’ll forever sing this song.
Singing glory to the green,
Singing glory to the white,
For we know our dear old college
Is forever in the right;
Down the corridor of years
We’ll forget the joys and tears,
But the Normal, the Normal, we love."
Today the song we sing is titled "Singing Glory to the Green and White."
"Singing glory to the green,
singing glory to the white,
For we know our university
is striving for the right;
Down the corridors of years,
we’ll forget the joys and tears,
But North Texas, North Texas, we love!"
University of North Texas History
As the 19th century entered its final decade, Denton, Texas was a town of 2,558 people not far removed from the frontier. And while it could count eight saloons and many shanties, there were not any sidewalks or bridges. But one thing Denton did have was a desire for an institution of higher learning.
This desire matched perfectly the ambitions of a Yankee who had come south in hopes of founding his own school. This was Joshua C. Chilton, inspired like many others by his years at the Nations Normal University in Lebanon, Ohio, to establish his own normal college. The man and the citizens of Denton agreed on terms, and on September 16, 1890, the first classes were held at Texas Normal College and Teachers' Training Institute. It was a private, non-sectarian institution granting diplomas and teaching certificates. Temporary headquarters were over the B.J. Wilson hardware store which is now the location of the Ethan Allen furniture company on the northwest corner of the Square.
The school's official charter was not secured from the state until June 21, 1891. By then, the city had constructed the Old Normal Building, located at the corner of Avenue B and Hickory Street. By November 1893, Chilton was so overworked and in such poor health that he had to resign and turn over the floundering school to the next president, John Jackson Crumley. In February 1896, Chilton died in Indiana, undoubtedly thinking his education venture was a failure, with no way of visualizing that what he had begun would over 100 years later be one of Texas' major institutions of higher learning — the University of North Texas.
The school's official charter was not secured from the state until June 21, 1891. By then, the city had constructed the Old Normal Building, located at the corner of Avenue B and Hickory Street. By November 1893, Chilton was so overworked and in such poor health that he had to resign and turn over the floundering school to the next president, John J. Crumley. In February 1896, Chilton died in Indiana, undoubtedly thinking his education venture was a failure, with no way of visualizing that what he had begun would over 100 years later be one of Texas' major institutions of higher learning — the University of North Texas.
In March 1894 the ownership of North Texas Normal College changed once more when Menter B. Terrill leased the college building from the city and became the institution's third president. Although the Texas Legislature made the school a state institution in 1899, Terrill continued to operate the normal with local funds until the availability of state money in 1901.
President Terrill was thwarted in his candidacy to become president of the state normal. J.S. Kendall, state superintendent of public instruction, was chosen president of the North Texas State Normal College. Kendall managed to have a second structure, the Main Building, erected on campus. Kendall died unexpectedly in 1906 and was succeeded by William H. Bruce.
The luxury of ample space provided by the Main Building was not to last long. On August 24, 1907, the Old Normal Building was struck by lightening and destroyed by fire.
William H. Bruce was the man whose suggestion led to putting the word "teachers" in the name of Texas Normal schools. In 1923, the school became North Texas State Teachers' College, preparing teachers for both elementary and high school grades. The first bachelor’s degrees were conferred in 1919, and by 1923, Dr. Bruce's last year as president, North Texas ranked sixth in enrollment of the nation's 80 teachers colleges.
Robert L. Marquis succeeded Dr. Bruce as president and served until his death in 1934. Under his leadership the college received its basic regional accreditation — that of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. During this time, the faculty was developing in advanced studies that would soon qualify it to supervise graduate education.
Next came Dr. W. Joseph McConnell, who headed the institution until 1951. President McConnell's years saw several significant advancements; the first master's degrees were conferred in 1936; and in 1949, North Texas was removed from the teachers college system and given its own Board of Regents, becoming North Texas State College.
Important developments continued under the president, Dr. J.C. Matthews. In 1953, the school awarded its first doctoral degree in education and in 1955 in music. In 1961, the name became North Texas State University (Jack Wheeler was the student body president at the time). In 1964, the Texas Commission on Higher Education approved doctoral programs in biology, chemistry, physics and business administration. In addition, NTSU was designated the area institution whose role it would be to develop doctoral programs as needs arouse in the scientific fields other than engineering and medicine and in the fine arts, humanities, social sciences and mathematics.
In 1967, Dr. Matthews resigned as president, and Dr. John J. Kamerick was appointed to fill his position. North Texas continued its growth and progressed under Dr. Kamerick's administration as well as that of John Carter, who succeeded him and served as acting president from 1970 to 1971.
In late 1979, C.C. Nolen was appointed president of North Texas State University. John Carter was appointed as acting president until 1980, when Frank E. Vandiver was appointed president of the university. In 1981, Vandiver resigned, and Howard Smith was appointed acting president. Dr. Alfred F. Hurley was appointed president of North Texas State University in 1982.
Under Dr. Hurley's guidance and administration, the university has taken on a new look as well as a new name. On May 15, 1988, NTSU became UNT, the University of North Texas. Also in 1988, the Texas Academy of Math and Science admitted its first students. In 1993, the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine was renamed to the more encompassing UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth.
In the spring of 1997, State Senator Royce West introduced to the 75th Legislative Session the idea of establishing the first state-supported university in southern Dallas. Support was high, and in 1999, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board unanimously voted to designate UNT as an official system. In 2000, the UNT System Center at Dallas, also known as the UNT Dallas Campus, opened its doors to 250 students, as an extension of UNT.
By January 2001, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board began recognizing the UNT System as a formal system, making it one of six recognized higher education systems in Texas.
In 2009, after reaching a state mandated goal of 1,000 full-time equivalent students to demonstrate demand for higher education in Dallas, the UNT Dallas Campus began making preparations to become an independent university. The UNT Dallas Campus accepted its first freshmen in Fall 2010 as the University of North Texas at Dallas.
|Joshua C. Chilton||1890-1893|
|John J. Crumley||1893-1894|
|Menter B. Terrill||1894-1901|
|Joel S. Kendall||1901-1906|
|William H. Bruce||1906-1923|
|Robert L. Marquis||1923-1934|
|W. J. McConnell||1934-1951|
|James C. Mathews||1951-1967|
|John J. Kamerick||1968-1970|
|John Carter (Acting President)||1970-1971|
|Calvin C. Nolen||1971-1979|
|John Carter (Acting President)||1979-1980|
|Frank E. Vandiver||1980-1981|
|Howard Smith (Acting President)||1981-1982|
|Alfred F. Hurley||1982-2000|
|Phil Diebel (Acting President)||2010|
|V. Lane Rawlins||2010-Present|
Names of UNT
|1890-1894||Texas Normal College and Teachers Training Institute|
|1894-1901||North Texas Normal College|
|1901-1923||North Texas State Normal College|
|1923-1949||North Texas State Teachers College|
|1949-1961||North Texas State College|
|1961-1988||North Texas State University|
|1988-Present||University of North Texas|