Campus life

Do students have to live in a residence hall? Can my child live off campus?

Students must live in university-operated residence halls under a contractual room and board plan (as long as space is available) if they:

  • are not married
  • are undergraduate students
  • graduated from high school the semester prior to enrolling at UNT
  • have completed less than 30 semester hours of university work (not including advance placement hours)
  • enroll for 12 or more semester hours

Exceptions may be made for students who live with parents, grandparents or a married sibling, so students should apply for exemption with the housing department before signing a housing contract. If living off campus is an option for your child, many apartments are within walking distance and many are served by campus buses.

What are the advantages to living on campus?

Students who live on campus find it easier to get more involved in campus activities than students who live off campus. They have access to nutritious meals and don’t have to worry about grocery shopping, cooking or kitchen cleanup. Each of UNT’s 14 residence halls has its own personality, and many residents make lifelong friendships. An Honors College residence hall opened in Fall 2007.

What if my child needs help adjusting to living in a residence hall with a roommate?

Family at UNT Family Weekend

Each residence hall has student RAs (resident assistants) who can help ease the transition from home and guide freshmen in their adjustment to college life. RAs assist students in finding solutions to issues that arise and help connect them with the campus services they need to be successful. Your child can also seek help from the residence hall director, the dean of students or the First Year Experience program.

Where can my child eat while on campus?

Students can eat balanced meals at any of UNT’s six residence hall cafeterias. They provide many nutritious selections in an all-you-can-eat format. The Bruce Hall cafeteria offers an exclusive vegetarian/vegan line, and organic foods are available at Mean Greens in Maple Hall. Items at Clark Hall are offered until midnight on weekdays. Students with a meal plan can eat in any of the cafeterias. Meal plans are available to students living on and off campus. All full-service cafeterias are open at least 12 hours a day, and a staff dietitian will work with students on special diets. In addition to residence hall cafeterias, the University Union food court and convenience store offer salads, soup, fruit smoothies, burgers, wood-fired pizzas, Taco Bell® and Chick-Fil-A®.

What if my child gets sick or hurt while at college?

UNT offers a full-service primary care clinic, with full-time physicians, nurse practitioners and nurses to manage your child’s care and treatment. Also offered are:

  • a full service pharmacy
  • comprehensive lab services
  • optometry services
  • radiology services
  • substance abuse referral service
  • health education programming and
  • ambulatory mental health care provided by part-time senior psychiatric residents

These services are available because students pay a medical usage fee each semester, which is included in their tuition bill. Services are provided at a discount if students need to fill prescriptions or have X-rays taken, laboratory tests performed, nutrition consultation, massage therapy, splints or minor surgery. College Optical Express is the first optical office located on any college campus in the state of Texas. Services are provided at the Student Health and Wellness Center in Chestnut Hall. Learn more about billing and insurance.

Are students allowed to have cars?

Yes. Several parking permit options are available, including premium parking, residence hall parking, general parking and motorcycle parking. The parking fee is not included in your child’s regular tuition and fees payments. Learn more about parking.

My child will not have a car while attending UNT. Is this a problem?

Many students without cars live on campus or in nearby apartments. Students can use UNT Shuttle, e-ride or Denton County Transportation Authority services to get around. UNT Shuttle is the university’s transit system, and e-ride provides on-demand rides from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. all week in a lift-equipped ADA bus. DCTA’s Commuter Express offers transportation to and from downtown Dallas, Carrollton and Lewisville. The Commuter Express is free to UNT students. Connect by Hertz is available on campus. It offers qualified drivers ages 18 years and up environmentally friendly vehicles to rent at a low rate – by the hour or the day. Members access cars using a Smart Card and only pay for the time they rent the car.

What is there to do on campus?

Students studying

Students can:

  • get involved in more than 300 organizations
  • go to athletic events, concerts, plays and art exhibitions
  • play table tennis or pool in the Union Syndicate
  • meet friends for coffee and study sessions at the Cyber Cafe inside Willis Library or at Green Mountain Coffee® in the University Union
  • attend lectures, film festivals and other cultural events
  • compete in recreational sports leagues
  • work out in the Pohl Recreation Center or try a new adventure through its outdoor pursuits program
  • donate time for community service
  • get involved in the department of their major doing research
  • working on the campus radio or television station
  • tutoring or mentoring other students
  • or performing in campus productions

That’s one of the chief advantages of attending a large university like UNT — there’s something for everyone. Learn more about student organizations.

What if my child has a legal problem while at UNT and needs a lawyer?

Free, confidential legal advice and services are available from the attorneys in the Student Legal Services office for enrolled students only. Types of cases handled include:

  • auto accidents
  • cellular phone billing
  • consumer complaints
  • debt and credit issues
  • discrimination
  • domestic violence
  • evictions
  • injuries
  • security deposits
  • sexual harassment
  • unpaid wages
  • wrongful termination

My daughter has a disability and I’m worried about how she’ll manage in college. Can someone help her?

About 610 students are served through the Office of Disability Accommodation, which helps students with hearing, mobility or vision loss; with learning disabilities such as dyslexia; and with brain injuries, cancer, chronic back pain and other conditions that are not obvious. Students with a temporary disability, such as a broken arm or leg, may also receive some services from the Dean of Students Office.