Athletics at UNT
Our NCAA Division I teams compete in Conference USA, and we’re proud to say our dedicated student-athletes find success in the classroom as well as in their sports. Go Mean Green!
2018 Mean Green Football schedule
|Sept. 1, 2018||vs. SMU||Apogee Stadium||6:30 p.m. CT|
|Sept. 8, 2018||vs. Incarnate Word||Apogee Stadium||6:30 p.m. CT|
|Sept. 15, 2018||at Arkansas||Fayetteville, AR||3:00 p.m. CT|
|Sept. 22, 2018||at Liberty||Lynchburg, VA||5:00 p.m. CT|
|Sept. 29, 2018||vs. Louisiana Tech*||Apogee Stadium||6:30 p.m. CT|
|Oct. 6, 2018||at UTEP*||El Paso, TX||6:30 p.m. CT|
|Oct. 13, 2018||vs. Southern Miss*||Apogee Stadium||1:00 p.m. CT|
|Oct. 20, 2018||at UAB*||Birmingham, AL||6:30 p.m. CT|
|Oct. 27, 2018||vs. Rice*||Apogee Stadium||3:00 p.m. CT|
|Nov. 10, 2018||at Old Dominion*||Daytona Beach, FL||2:30 p.m. CT|
|Nov. 15, 2018||vs. Florida Atlantic*||Apogee Stadium||8:30 p.m. CT|
|Nov. 24, 2018||at UTSA*||San Antonio, TX||6:00 p.m. CT|
* Conference games
Legacy of excellence
- Mean Green teams have won 65 conference championships, including 33 since 2000.
- UNT has a long history of outstanding golf. The men’s program won four consecutive national championships from 1949 to 1952. Among the members of the championship teams were future pros and fellow Texas Golf Hall of Fame members Don January, Billy Maxwell, Joe Conrad, Ross Collins and A.J. Triggs.
- The football program has produced 33 All-Americans and 78 players who have been drafted to play in the National Football League, including Abner Haynes, who first starred in the American Football League, and “Mean” Joe Greene. Teams over the years have played in eight bowl games. The latest was the 2014 Heart of Dallas Bowl, which the Mean Green won 36-14 over UNLV.
- Mean Green basketball had its first NBA draft pick in more than 20 years when Tony Mitchell was selected by the Detroit Pistons in the second round of the 2013 draft. Including Mitchell, 16 Mean Green players have been drafted in the history of the program.
- Track and field stars through the years have included twin twins Elmer and Delmer Brown and Wayne and Blaine Rideout, who set a world record in the mile and seven-eighths relay in 1938, and Bill Schmidt, who won the bronze medal in the javelin at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. And football standout Johnny Quinn, who also ran track, competed on the U.S. bobsled team at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.