Athletics at UNT
Our NCAA Division I teams compete in Conference USA, and we’re proud to say our dedicated student-athletes find success in the classroom as well as in their sports. Go Mean Green!
2018-19 Mean Green Men's (21-12) and Women's (16-15) Basketball Schedule
|Nov. 3, 2018||Women vs. University of Mary Hardin-Baylor^||The Super Pit||W, 75-37|
|Nov. 6, 2018||Men vs. Angelo State||The Super Pit||W, 89-55|
|Nov. 7, 2018||Women vs. Mid-America Christian University||The Super Pit||W, 82-35|
|Nov. 9, 2018||Men vs. Humboldt State||Honolulu, HI||W, 93-48|
|Nov. 10, 2018||Men vs. Portland||Honolulu, HI||W, 78-73|
|Nov. 11, 2018||Men at Hawaii||Manoa, HI||W, 68-51|
|Nov. 12, 2018||Women vs. Texas||The Super Pit||L, 64-54|
|Nov. 14, 2018||Men vs. Texas A&M University - Commerce||The Super Pit||W, 102-53|
|Nov. 16, 2018||Women at Kansas State||Manhattan, KS||L, 60-42|
|Nov. 17, 2018||Men vs. Maryland Eastern Shore||The Super Pit||W, 68-34|
|Nov. 20, 2018||Men vs. Maine||The Super Pit||W, 74-63 (OT)|
|Nov. 23, 2018||Women vs. Wyoming||Stockton, CA||L, 53-49|
|Nov. 24, 2018||Women vs. North Dakota State||Stockton, CA||W, 92-78|
|Nov. 24, 2018||Men vs. Saint Peter's||The Super Pit||W, 75-66|
|Nov. 27, 2018||Men at Oklahoma||Norman, OK||L, 73-57|
|Nov. 28, 2018||Women at SMU||Dallas, TX||W, 73-66|
|Dec. 1, 2018||Women vs. Missouri State||The Super Pit||W, 83-76|
|Dec. 5, 2018||Women vs. Houston Baptist||The Super Pit||W, 100-75|
|Dec. 5, 2018||Men at Indiana State||Terre Haute, IN||W, 80-69|
|Dec. 8, 2018||Women vs. Utah State||The Super Pit||L, 57-41|
|Dec. 8, 2018||Men vs. UT Arlington||The Super Pit||W, 63-61|
|Dec. 16, 2018||Women at Xavier University of Louisiana||New Orleans, LA||W, 59-46|
|Dec. 18, 2018||Men at New Mexico||Albuquerque, NM||W, 74-65|
|Dec. 20, 2018||Men vs. Arkansas - Pine Bluff||The Super Pit||W, 77-66|
|Dec. 21, 2018||Women vs. CSU Bakersfield||The Super Pit||W, 71-59|
|Dec. 29, 2018||Men at Rice*||Houston, TX||W, 103-87|
|Dec. 29, 2018||Women vs. Oklahoma Panhandle State||The Super Pit||W, 93-52|
|Jan. 3, 2019||Women at Louisiana Tech*||Ruston, LA||W, 65-54|
|Jan. 3, 2019||Men vs. Louisiana Tech*||Ruston, LA||W, 63-59|
|Jan. 5, 2019||Women at Southern Miss*||Hattiesburg, MS||W, 62-48|
|Jan. 5, 2019||Men vs. Southern Miss*||The Super Pit||W, 65-62|
|Jan. 10, 2019||Women vs. UTEP*||The Super Pit||W, 70-51|
|Jan. 10, 2019||Men at UTEP*||El Paso, TX||W, 58-51|
|Jan. 12, 2019||Men at UTSA*||San Antonio, TX||L, 76-74|
|Jan. 12, 2019||Women vs. UTSA*||The Super Pit||L, 57-54|
|Jan. 19, 2019||Women at Rice*||Houston, TX||L, 64-52|
|Jan. 19, 2019||Men vs. Rice*||The Super Pit||W, 76-75|
|Jan. 24, 2019||Women at UAB*||Birmingham, AL||L, 70-60|
|Jan. 24, 2019||Men vs. UAB*||The Super Pit||L, 52-49|
|Jan. 26, 2019||Men vs. Middle Tennessee*||The Super Pit||W, 70-53|
|Jan. 26, 2019||Women at Middle Tennessee*||Murfreesboro, TN||L, 61-46|
|Jan. 31, 2019||Men at Old Dominion*||Norfolk, VA||L, 72-61|
|Jan. 31, 2019||Women vs. Old Dominion*||The Super Pit||L, 72-71|
|Feb. 2, 2019||Women vs. Charlotte*||The Super Pit||W, 68-63|
|Feb. 2, 2019||Men at Charlotte*||Charlotte, NC||W, 73-76|
|Feb. 7, 2019||Women at Marshall*||Huntington, WV||L, 67-55|
|Feb. 7, 2019||Men vs. Marshall*||The Super Pit||W, 78-51|
|Feb. 9, 2019||Women at Western Kentucky*||Bowling Green, KY||W, 76-67|
|Feb. 9, 2019||Men vs. Western Kentucky*||The Super Pit||L, 62-59|
|Feb. 14, 2019||Men at Florida Atlantic*||Boca Raton, FL||L, 57-47|
|Feb. 14, 2019||Women vs. Florida Atlantic*||The Super Pit||W, 82-62|
|Feb. 16, 2019||Men at FIU*||Miami, FL||L, 69-59|
|Feb. 16, 2019||Women vs. FIU*||The Super Pit||W, 75-50|
|Feb. 23, 2019||Women vs. Rice*||The Super Pit||L, 59-47|
|Feb. 23, 2019||Men at Louisiana Tech*||Ruston, LA||L, 66-53|
|Feb. 28, 2019||Men vs. Florida Atlantic*||The Super Pit||L, 60-54|
|March 2, 2019||Women vs. Western Kentucky*||The Super Pit||L, 71-66|
|March 3, 2019||Men vs. Marshall*||The Super Pit||L, 85-82|
|March 7, 2019||Women at UTEP*||El Paso, TX||L, 59-51|
|March 9, 2019||Men at FIU*||Miami, FL||L, 73-58|
Conference USA Basketball Championships
|March 13, 2019||Women vs. Southern Miss*||Ford Center at the Star||W, 49-46|
|March 13, 2019||Men vs. FIU*||Ford Center at the Star||W, 71-57|
|March 14, 2019||Women vs. Rice*||Ford Center at the Star||L, 61-43|
|March 14, 2019||Men vs. Western Kentucky*||Ford Center at the Star||L, 67-51|
Women's Basketball Invitational
|March 20, 2019||Women vs. UTRGV||The Super Pit||W, 56-42|
|March 26, 2019||Women vs. Utah State||The Super Pit||7:00 p.m.|
* Conference games
^ Exhibition event
2017-2018 athletic highlights
- The football team won the Conference USA West Division title and earned a trip to the New Orleans Bowl, its second-consecutive bowl berth.
- The volleyball team won its first Conference USA title, capturing the regular-season league crown.
- The Mean Green soccer team won the 13th conference championship in program history, taking the Conference USA tournament title with a win over Charlotte in the finals.
- The Mean Green men’s basketball team won the College Basketball Invitational tournament, capturing the best-of-three finals with an 88-77 win over San Francisco at the Super Pit.
- UNT’s women’s basketball team reached the semifinals of the Conference USA tournament and posted its most successful season in 12 years and best conference-tournament finish in 16 years.
Legacy of excellence
- Mean Green teams have won 65 conference championships, including 33 since 2000.
- UNT has a long history of outstanding golf. The men’s program won four consecutive national championships from 1949 to 1952. Among the members of the championship teams were future pros and fellow Texas Golf Hall of Fame members Don January, Billy Maxwell, Joe Conrad, Ross Collins and A.J. Triggs.
- The football program has produced 33 All-Americans and 78 players who have been drafted to play in the National Football League, including Abner Haynes, who first starred in the American Football League, and “Mean” Joe Greene. Teams over the years have played in 10 bowl games. The latest was the 2018 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl against Troy.
- Mean Green basketball had its first NBA draft pick in more than 20 years when Tony Mitchell was selected by the Detroit Pistons in the second round of the 2013 draft. Including Mitchell, 16 Mean Green players have been drafted in the history of the program.
- Track and field stars through the years have included twin twins Elmer and Delmer Brown and Wayne and Blaine Rideout, who set a world record in the mile and seven-eighths relay in 1938, and Bill Schmidt, who won the bronze medal in the javelin at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. And football standout Johnny Quinn, who also ran track, competed on the U.S. bobsled team at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.