Sept. 19, 2019
Dear UNT faculty and staff,
It’s time to nominate your colleagues for the 2020 Presidential, Salute to Faculty Excellence and Staff Appreciation awards. Recognizing UNT’s best of the best is a way for us to shine a spotlight on the dedication and enthusiasm that goes into making our university an exceptional place to work, teach and learn. Please thoughtfully consider recognizing your colleagues who embody the UNT spirit, work ethic and commitment to service. To learn more about the nomination process, including full award descriptions, deadlines and previous years’ recipients, visit the UNT Awards website.
Presidential awards are given to UNT family members who bring honor to the university and to recognize the highest levels of achievement, excellence and service. The awards may be presented in conjunction with the Staff Appreciation Luncheon, Salute to Faculty Excellence, Honors Day or at a time designated by the president. Nomination forms can be found online and submitted to the Office of the President. There are three presidential awards:
- The UNT Community Award is open to faculty, staff and students who have demonstrated outstanding service within the UNT community. This person has enriched the UNT experience through servant-leadership and consistent and meaningful involvement in the campus community.
- The Special Recognition Award also honors faculty, staff and students. Nominees for this award have provided outstanding service through momentous or unique talent that has enriched the university and resulted in infectious UNT pride.
- The Bob Rogers Service and Community Engagement Award is given to a faculty or staff member whose talent, dedication, passion and community service enhances UNT and the greater community, and helps maintain strong bonds. The distinct and required characteristic of the recipient is a genuine attitude of selfless service, kindness and joy.
Any UNT faculty, staff member or student is eligible to submit nominations for presidential awards. The nomination window closes Friday, Oct. 25.
The faculty awards process is coordinated by the Office of Faculty Success and will be presented April 23, 2020, at the Salute to Faculty Excellence event. Some nominations can be submitted via online form, but others require additional information. There are more than 20 faculty awards, including four prestigious honors from the UNT Foundation:
- The UNT Foundation Eminent Faculty Award recognizes a full-time faculty member who has made outstanding and sustained contributions to scholarly-creative activity, teaching and service and has served as an inspiration to the UNT community.
- The UNT Foundation Community Engagement Award honors UNT faculty whose careers are marked by sustained activities that advance mutual university-community engagement, successfully address important community issues through collaborative initiatives and create intellectual products respected by peers within and beyond the academy.
- The UNT Foundation Outstanding Lecturer Award is the university’s highest honor for full-time lecturers and celebrates a full-time lecturer who has made significant and sustained contributions to UNT through exceptional teaching and service.
- The UNT Foundation Faculty Leadership Award recognizes a faculty member whose leadership and service significantly impacts our academic enterprise at the university, state and national and/or international level.
Some faculty award nominations must be submitted by other faculty members, but some awards allow nominations from any member of the UNT community. Carefully read the award nomination criteria to determine who is eligible to submit a nomination. The nomination window closes Friday, Oct. 25.
Staff Appreciation Awards
Staff Appreciation awards honor the excellence and outstanding qualities of UNT staff members and will be presented March 18, 2020, at the Staff Appreciation Luncheon. Nomination forms in English and Spanish can be found online and submitted to UNT System Human Resources. There are seven Staff Appreciation awards:
- The Steve Miller Outstanding Employee Award honors a staff member who has positively impacted their division or department and the university. This is the highest honor a UNT staff member can receive.
- The UNT Spirit Award is given to a staff member who constantly shows pride in being part of the UNT community.
- The Student Success Award is given to a staff member who does more than their job requires to ensure students succeed.
- The Customer Service Award honors a staff member who excels at meeting customers' needs and provides excellent service.
- The Rising Star Award recognizes a staff member who has served the university between six months and two years and who shows a passion for their work, UNT and UNT traditions.
- The Creating UNiTy Award acknowledges the significant achievements of staff members who take positive steps to create a culture and climate of respect and inclusion, who value differences and find innovative ways to improve opportunities for the diverse communities we serve.
- The UNT Excellence in Leadership Staff Award recognizes executive staff leaders who illustrate outstanding efforts to contribute to the success of the University through their leadership and service.
Any UNT faculty, staff member or student is eligible to submit nominations for staff awards. The nomination window closes Thursday, Oct. 31.
Need help writing the perfect nomination? UNT System Human Resources will host three writing workshops to help the UNT community craft stronger Staff Appreciation Awards nominations and offer tips and one-on-one assistance: