Nov. 6, 2017
Homecoming 2017 starts today and lasts through Nov. 11. This year’s theme is “Deep in the Heart of UNT.” Be sure to join the celebration by attending events throughout the week, show your Mean Green pride and wear green! The events include:
- Homecoming Picnic: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today, Nov. 6, at the mall in front of Willis Library. Free barbecue will be served to individuals with a current UNT ID. A pep rally at noon will feature the pep band and UNT cheerleaders. In the event of rain, the event will take place in University Union, room 314.
- Dallas Leadership Foundation Donation Drive: 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. today, Nov. 6, at Lot 34 (old Sac 'N Save lot). Student Activities will be collecting socks, soap and toothbrushes, which will be donated to the homeless population in Dallas, including those displaced by Hurricane Harvey. Soap and toothbrushes must be individually wrapped.
- Pollinative Prairie Work Day: 8 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Nov. 7, at Discovery Park’s Pollinative Prairie. As part of UNT’s Bee Campus USA designation, Student Activities will be performing field work and prairie upkeep to ensure the prairie is up and functioning.
- Scrappy Games: 8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, at Apogee Stadium. This event allows student teams to compete in several challenges on inflatable obstacle courses.
- Spirit Day/12 O’Clock Caw: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8, at the mall in front of Willis Library. This event will include music, activities and entertainment and is open to individuals with a current UNT ID.
- Distinguished Alumni Achievement Awards: 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9, at Apogee Stadium HUB Club. Reception followed by dinner and program at 7 p.m. For tickets, call 940-565-2834 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yell Like Hell: 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9, at the UNT Coliseum. The Progressive Black Student Organization and Student Activities are putting on this event full of dancing, stepping and UNT spirit.
- Basketball Season Opener Games: 3 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, at the Super Pit, the Mean Green women’s basketball team will face Mid-America Christian University, followed by the Mean Green men’s basketball game against Eureka College at 5 p.m. For tickets, visit MeanGreenSports.com/Tickets. For student tickets, visit MeanGreenStudentTickets.com on a mobile devise.
- Spirit March: 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, starting at Fraternity Row on Maple Street and ending at the bonfire site at Eagle Point on the northwest side of Apogee Stadium.
- Homecoming Pep Rally and Bonfire: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, at the bonfire site at Eagle Point on the northwest side of Apogee Stadium. Bonfire watching at the Alumni Pavilion is free for UNT Alumni Association members. Join in on one of UNT’s oldest traditions.
- Homecoming Parade: 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, starting at the intersection of Highland Street and Avenue C and traveling east to Welch Street before heading north to Hickory Street. See the parade route.
- Alumni GameDay Grille: 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at the Alumni Pavilion. There will be live music, Mean Green face painting, a catered buffet and lawn games. Local craft beer and Texas wine is available for purchase.
- Tailgating: Before the game Saturday, Nov. 11, at Apogee Stadium until 3:30 p.m. Organization, department and college tents add to the Homecoming spirit along with live music, the Junior Mean Green Fun Zone and the Mean Green March featuring the cheerleaders, dancers, marching band, head coach Seth Littrell and the Mean Green football team.
- Mean Green vs. UTEP football game: 4 p.m. kickoff Saturday, Nov. 11, at Apogee Stadium. Don’t forget to buy your tickets for the game. For students tickets, visit MeanGreenStudentTickets.com.
Check out the full list of festivities for students, alumni and the community. Get details about the Mean Green Game Day Shuttle for free and easy travel to and from Mean Green games and Downtown Denton. And, for more information on tickets, parking, tailgating and Apogee Stadium visit MeanGreenSports.com/tickets.
Homecoming events and festivities will impact campus parking and transportation as follows:
- Nov. 6, Dallas Leadership Foundation Donation Drive: Spaces in Lot 34 (old Sac 'N Save lot) will be unavailable
- Nov. 9, Yell Like Hell: Lot 20 available as normal
- Nov. 10, Bonfire: Lot 86 will be unavailable
- Nov. 11, Homecoming Parade, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
o Highland Street will close at 7:30 a.m.
o Welch Street will close at 11 a.m. and reopen after the parade
o Highland Street between North Texas Boulevard and Avenue C will reopen once the parade has begun and all the floats have moved out of the area
o Intersection of Avenue C and Highland Street will be closed for duration of the parade
o Ingress and egress from lots on the East side of campus will be limited for the duration of the parade
o At the end of the parade (1 p.m.) the traffic plan for the football game will be in effect (kickoff at 4 p.m.)
o Congestion on Carol Blvd., Welch Street and Eagle Drive is expected
o Parking in Lot 20 (Fouts Field) will be pay-to-park and managed by Athletics as usual on game days
- Nov. 11 Bus Service:
- The Mean Green Night Rider route, which typically runs all day on Saturdays, will not be running
- The Eagle Limited route will run from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will be the regular Mean Green route from 2 to 6 p.m.
- From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. the Discovery Park route will stop at Hickory Street and Avenue B rather than Union Circle due to the Homecoming Parade
- E-ride service will still be available beginning at 4 p.m., but will not be servicing the Victory Hall/Apogee Stadium area during the football game and festivities
Information about bus routes as well as the campus parking map is available at transportation.unt.edu. The Transportation Services office can be reached at 940-565-3020 or email@example.com, as well as on Twitter @UNTtransit and Facebook at @UNT Transportation.