Sept. 8, 2017
Dear faculty and staff,
UNT prides itself on being a caring, supportive and welcoming environment for all students regardless of background, country of origin and immigration status. On Tuesday, President Trump announced plans to rescind the executive order for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). I want to reiterate what UNT President Neal Smatresk said earlier this week about our university’s commitment to support all of our students, including our DACA students.
While we wait to see whether Congress or the President will take action to restore DACA in some fashion, some of our students who are affected by the decision may be in need of special assistance or someone to listen to their concerns. Please encourage them to remain focused and keep working toward the degree and the bright future they seek.
To ensure that all of our students have access to the services and support necessary for success at UNT, I have complied a list of resources that may be helpful to you and the students you advise and teach. This isn’t an exhaustive list; we will move these and additional resources to a dedicated website as they are identified. Further, we are still evaluating how the rollback of DACA may impact internships, study abroad and other learning experiences for affected students. We will be moving this kind of information to the website, too, in the weeks ahead.
Meanwhile, let’s work together to ensure our students have the resources and guidance they need during this uncertain time. And, let’s continue to act in the warm, compassionate and respectful manner that is the UNT way.
The information and resources I referenced follow.
Jennifer Cowley, Ph.D.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
University of North Texas
Services for all students, including DACA students, include:
Legal Advice and Assistance
- Legal advice and assistance are available through UNT’s Student Legal Services office free of charge to all students. Call 940-565-2614, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the Student Legal Services office located in the University Union, Suite 411. For more information, visit http://studentaffairs.unt.edu/student-legal-services
Emotional and Physical Health
- Free counseling is available through UNT’s Counseling and Testing Services. Call 940-565-2741 or go to the Counseling and Testing Services office located in Chestnut Hall, Suite 311. For more information, visit http://studentaffairs.unt.edu/counseling-and-testing-services
- Assistance for students who are struggling or experiencing anxiety is available through the Care Team. Students may refer themselves. Others also may refer students. Call 940-565-4373 or go to the Dean of Students office located in the University Union, Suite 409. For more information, visit http://studentaffairs.unt.edu/care
- Medical assistance is available for injuries, illnesses and other medical issues. Call 940-565-2333 or go to the Student Health and Wellness Center located in Chestnut Hall, 2nd Floor. For more information, visit http://studentaffairs.unt.edu/student-health-and-wellness-center
- Academic advisors are available to help with class options, degree plans and other student support services. For more information on these resources and how to find advising offices by college or school, visit https://advising.unt.edu/
- Continued eligibility for in-state tuition and state financial aid, as allowed by the State of Texas
- Short-term loans are available to help eligible students with temporary cash flow problems pay their current tuition and fees (not past due balances). Call 940-565-3225 or go to the Student Accounting office located in the Eagle Student Services Center (ESSC), Room 105. For more information, visit https://studentaccounting.unt.edu/short-term-loans
- Needs-based emergency loans are available to help students remain enrolled. Call 940-565-369-7761 or go to the Student Money Management Center located in Chestnut Hall, Suite 313 or the Eagle Student Services Center (ESSC), Room 110. For more information, visit http://studentaffairs.unt.edu/student-money-management-center/programs-and-services/loans/
- UNT’s Multicultural Center provides an environment where all students can thrive. Call 940-565-3424, email email@example.com or go to the Multicultural Center located in the University Union, Suite 335. For more information, visit https://edo.unt.edu/multicultural-center
- UNT’s Dean of Students is available by calling 940-565-2648 or 940-565-2039 or go to the Dean of Students office located in the University Union, Suite 409. For more information, visit https://deanofstudents.unt.edu/
Government Fact Sites Related to the Rescission of DACA
- Office of Homeland Security DACA FAQ: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/09/05/frequently-asked-questions-rescission-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca
US Citizenship and Immigration Services (includes links to DHS FAQ and fact sheet): https://www.uscis.gov/daca2017