March 23, 2017
Dear UNT community,
As you know, we’ve been focused on key IT initiatives to improve our students, faculty and staff’s user experience with technology inside and outside of the classroom. We’re trying to optimize interaction with our students and enhance their digital and online experiences, improve mobile technology, and create better data warehouse and analytic tools. I wanted to update you on our progress.
- Mobile app: In December, we launched our student-focused mobile app, giving students the ability to get grade notifications and find class locations. You can learn more about the mobile app at mobile.unt.edu. Be sure to download the app from iTunes or Google Play, for either iPhone or android. Our second phase will introduce capabilities such as registering for classes, paying tuition, and viewing holds and notifications. We’re also looking at ways to enhance the app capabilities for prospective students by giving them access to such things as admissions information, application status, access to the course catalog, a class search, registering and information about campus life and traditions. These features are expected to launch later this spring.
- Data warehouse: We’re moving toward implementing hardware and software for data warehousing and the Insights Program, to help present informative dashboards and predictive analytics. The project has continued to gain momentum. Work is being done to provide a foundation for accurate data analytics and establish structures for informed decision making. In creating this resource for more meaningful data and analytics, we will be better able to improve student retention and success and make informed decisions in the areas of enrollment management, finance and student demographics. We expect the first phase of dashboards to be ready this summer.
- CRM and MAP: We’re continuing to strengthen and refine our Customer Relations Management (CRM) and Marketing Automation Platform (MAP) systems to better support and engage with our students online. This year, we’re planning a series of enhancements that will allow academic advisors to better track students’ progress and make adjustments to their academic experience along the way.
- Other updates: We’re also focusing on other IT related areas for UNT and the other campuses. For example, foundation work is being done to upgrade the Campus Solutions system in late 2018. It will improve functionality and optimization in areas such as student records, student financials, admissions and academic advising.
- Security awareness: Please also complete the annual online security awareness training by logging in to the EIS portal (myunt.edu) and clicking on the Information Security training section. As a reminder, large organizations like ours are often subject to phishing attacks so please remember to be vigilant and use discretion when opening emails. If you ever receive a suspicious email, send the email as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
These improvements are essential to our progress and will help us better support our students, faculty and staff. We’ll continue to keep you updated as things progress.