Aug. 1, 2019
The university recently consolidated three policies regarding background checks into one. Policies 05.005 Confidential Background Check for Mental Health Services Providers and 05.007 Criminal History Background Check for Student Employment Applicants have been incorporated into UNT Policy 05.006 Criminal History Background Checks for Security Sensitive Positions.
This updated, consolidated policy is effective immediately.
The policy states:
- The policy applies to all individuals employed on a full-time, part-time or in a temporary capacity as faculty, staff, hourly or student positions, both undergraduate and graduate.
- All applicants who have received an offer of employment are required to successfully complete a criminal history background check as a condition of employment. This includes external applicants as well as current employees who are applying for a new position, being considered for promotion, tenure, transfer or reassignment. However, this does not apply to faculty promoted in rank in their current position or faculty appointed to a faculty administrative role within their current department.
- The spouse or partner of an employee who is required to live on campus as a condition of employment in a security sensitive position must consent to a background check in order to reside on campus with the employee.
- The duties of some security-sensitive positions may require periodic background checks after hire.
- Criminal history background checks must be completed prior to the applicant’s first date of employment.
- All applicants and employees must inform the Human Resources department or designated hiring department of any change to the individual’s criminal history information within five (5) business days of the change.
- Criminal history information will be collected and used only for making decisions regarding hiring, who may work on campus and who may reside on campus as a non-student. Criminal history information will not be used in any manner to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.
If you have questions about the policy, contact Human Resources at askHR@untsystem.edu.