Disability Access

Your path to academic success at the University of North Texas may hold some unexpected challenges.

The Office of Disability Access works with various offices and divisions across campus to ensure you have access to all programs, facilities, classrooms and curriculums.

In addition to meeting your academic goals, this collaborative effort helps make our campus more accessible for everyone.

Academic Access

Our office assists with finding adaptive strategies and academic accommodations if you qualify for services as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended. Each semester, between 900 and 1,000 students register for the office's services that include:

  • Adaptive furniture
  • Alternative text conversion
  • Assistive technology
  • Disability related counseling and advising
  • Reduced distraction testing rooms
  • Sign language interpreters

Our office also houses an adaptive testing center, which includes access to a closed-caption television (CCTV), JAWS screen-reading software and screen magnification software, as well as test readers and scribes for administering classroom exams. An adaptive computer lab is in Sage Hall.

You may register with the office as soon as you're admitted to UNT. However, we recommend that you attend new student orientation, receive academic advising and register for classes before requesting classroom accommodations.

The Office of Disability Access is in Sage Hall, Room 167. During regular semesters, ODA is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday unless UNT is closed. Visit our website for more information.

Parking and transportation services

Accessible parking spaces are located throughout campus, and you'll need a valid UNT parking permit and a state-approved ADA parking placard or license plate. Our campus shuttle system is equipped with wheelchair lifts and operates day and night. Visit the transit website for current parking regulations, a parking map and current shuttle schedules.

The Denton County Transportation Authority operates ADA accessible vehicles for traveling around the city and county. Information about the DCTA's services is available at dcta.net.

Housing and dining Access

You're required to live on campus if you graduated from high school the semester prior to enrolling at UNT, have completed fewer than 30 credit hours and are enrolled in 9 or more credit hours. Wheelchair-accessible rooms are available, as well as other reasonable accommodations requested in advance.

We encourage you to make accommodation requests early in the application process because rooms are assigned in date order.

You can consult with a registered dietician in the Student Health and Wellness Center about special dietary needs.

Personal care attendants and service animals are welcome in the residence halls. If you want to hire an attendant, you may post the job through the Career Center.

More information about housing is available at the housing website.

Access to our facilities

Most of our campus facilities are equipped with ramps, wheelchair-accessible restrooms, automatic doors and elevators with Braille controls. However, some older buildings may present challenges and we recommend you contact your academic department for details about the specific facilities where you'll be attending classes.

If you have mobility difficulties, we encourage you to consider a motorized wheelchair since our campus spans many acres on partially hilly terrain.