How you can help UNT students affected by Hurricane Harvey:
The fund helps students facing catastrophic circumstances make necessary purchases or cover required expenses. It was created through donations and UNT support and can be used for text books, travel expenses, supplies, personal items, etc. It cannot be used to pay tuition, fees or make other UNT payments.
You can help others affected by making contributions through any of these charities:
- The American Red Cross
- The Salvation Army
- Samaritan's Purse
- Feeding Texas food bank
- Catholic Charities USA
- The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund
- Save the Children
- The Dallas Foundation’s Hurricane Harvey disaster relief fund
The most direct benefit during disaster recovery is through monetary donations made to organizations responding to the crisis. This ensures that people are able to get exactly what they need and purchases made in the area can help stimulate the economy following a disaster.
Blood donations are also needed:
A Carter Blood Care donation bus will be accepting blood donations from 12 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 2 (Saturday) outside the Murchison Performing Arts Center on North Texas Boulevard in Denton. All donors will receive a T-shirt and a voucher for two free tickets to the Oct. 14 Mean Green football game. All donations made at this drive will be used to meet the blood needs of patients in South Texas.
Displaced animals are also in need of assistance:
- Humane Society of North Texas
- SPCA of Texas is taking donations of dog and cat food, cat litter, litter boxes, towels, treats, toys and newspaper.
The City of Dallas needs the following to stock its shelter for storm evacuees:
- new underwear
- new socks
- new warmups for men, women, children and infants
- toiletries/hygiene products
- baby formula and baby wipes, bottles, diapers
- Graco Pack n’ Plays for babies to sleep in
Donations for the shelter in Dallas should be taken to the Trusted World drop off location will be 15660 N. Dallas Parkway, Dallas, TX 75248. The donations center will be open daily 3 – 8 p.m. Please do not bring donations directly to the Dallas shelter location.
Learn more about making donations for the shelter.
Items needed at the shelter can be donated on the UNT campus:
- Donations of needed items can be left through Sept. 1 (Friday) at collections bins in the University Union. The bins set up to collect these items are located on the second floor of the union across from Eagle Images and Wells Fargo. See the list above for items the shelter needs.
- Donations specifically for residents of Rockport, Texas, are being collected at all 15 UNT residence halls. Items needed include clean clothes, socks and shoes, battery-operated fans, batteries, coolers, blankets, bottled water, pet food and supplies, toilet paper and paper towels and school supplies.
Giving opportunities at the Mean Green Football game Sept. 2 (Saturday):
UNT's football season opener against Lamar University kicks off at 6 p.m. at Apogee Stadium. Several opportunities to give will be at the game.
- Fouts Field cash parking lot -- Athletics is donating all parking fees collected at the Fouts Field lot during the football game to storm efforts.
- Opportunities to give to the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army will exist throughout the Apogee Stadium facility during the game.