June 8, 2016
Summer enrollment for health benefits administered by the Employee Retirement System of Texas for UNT employees will be July 17-30. This two-week enrollment period is only for employees at UNT in Denton to make changes to their benefits.
The summer benefit enrollment period for employees at UNT Dallas, the UNT Dallas College of Law, UNT System Administration and the UNT Health Science Center will be July 24-Aug. 6.
During summer enrollment, employees may:
- Enroll in a health plan, if waived in the past
- Change health carriers if a different plan is available
- Select the Health Insurance Opt-Out Credit option with comparable health coverage
- Enroll in one of the three dental plans or change plans
- Enroll in the new vision plan
- Enroll in or change accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Drop employee and/or dependent coverage
- Add dependent coverage that does not require evidence of insurability
- Apply for short-term disability, long-term disability, dependent term life or optional term life insurance. Employees may be required to complete evidence of insurability if enrolling for this benefit for the first time.
- Drop, enroll in or change TexFlex flexible spending account elections
As always, employees should review their benefit options carefully. ERS has made additions and changes to benefits that will take effect starting with the 2017 plan year. They include:
- The HealthSelect of Texas out-of-pocket maximum and rates for all tiers will increase as of Sept. 1, 2016. Learn more.
- Another health insurance option, Consumer Directed HealthSelect, will be available. It includes a high deductible health plan and a health savings account (HSA). The HDHP will be administered by UnitedHealthcare, and the HSA will be administered by Optum Bank, a subsidiary of UnitedHealthcare Services Inc.
- A limited flexible spending account (LFSA) will be available and administered by ADP.
- ERS will offer a State of Texas Vision Plan beginning Sept. 1, 2016. This is a self-funded insurance plan administered by Superior Vision Services.
- A Commuter Spending Account will be administered by ADP. Learn more.
Starting July 17, UNT faculty and staff can sign into their ERS account to make changes to their health benefits or call ERS directly at 877-275-4377. All changes made during summer enrollment will go into effect on Sept. 1, 2016, the start of the 2017 fiscal year. If you do not want to make changes to your benefits, you do not need to do anything. Your current coverage will continue.
For employees who are experiencing a qualifying life event during summer enrollment, email UNT System senior benefits coordinator Mariela Colindres for assistance with enrollment and forms. Any changes due to a qualifying life event will be effective within the first 31 days of the event.
Summer Enrollment Fairs and Webcasts
Summer Enrollment Labs
In addition to ERS webcasts and fairs, the UNT System Human Resources benefits coordinator for UNT will host a series of Summer Enrollment Labs. The labs are an opportunity for employees to get one-on-one support and information during the summer enrollment process. The labs are set for:
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, July 18, at Willis Library, Room 136
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 20, at Willis Library, Room 136
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, July 21, at Discovery Park, Room F218
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, July 25, at Discovery Park, Room F218
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 27, at Willis Library, Room 136
Employees will be required to have their ERS log-in information (username and password) prior to attending the labs.
For more information on summer enrollment for the 2017 fiscal year, contact the UNT System Human Resources benefits coordinator for UNT at Mariela.Colindres@untsystem.edu or 940-565-4434. Employees also can visit ers.state.tx.us or contact ERS Customer Service at 877-275-4377 during customer service hours from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.