Staff from the University of North Texas student newspaper, the North Texas Daily and Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism students won 20 awards at the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association awards ceremony.
“All of our students on staff will be able to tell people they contributed to a newspaper that won a best in show award out of the entire state of Texas,” said North Texas Daily editor-in-chief Kayleigh Bywater. “To be able to have that on their resume is amazing.”
TIPA was founded in 1909 and has become one of the nation's oldest and largest collegiate press associations. The association offers awards for more than 25 on-site contests at its annual conference, and it also gives awards to pre-submitted entries in the general magazine, radio, television, online media, yearbook, literary magazine and newspaper categories.
UNT students won four awards and four honorable mentions in the on-site contests during TIPA's conference March 22-24.
- Copy Editing: Kayleigh Bywater, Second place
- PR Release Writing: Marshall Cearfoss, Third place
- Print Sports Writing: Matthew Brune, Second place
- News Photo: Jake King, Second place
- Newspaper Design: Kelly Fox
- Editorial Cartoon: Kaitlin Pennell
- Headline Writing: Kaitlin Pennell
- Two-person Photo Essay: Jake King and Sara Carpenter
For pre-submitted entries, the staff of the North Texas Daily, UNT's student newspaper, received a second-place award for overall excellence among newspapers for the March 22 edition competing in Division 1 of the TIPA competition. The staff won six awards and five honorable mentions.
“I've worked on the Daily for four years, and I've never seen a group of more hardworking and dedicated students,” Bywater said. “I'm so lucky to be their editor-in-chief.”
NT Daily staff awards for pre-submitted entries of articles from 2017:
- Editorial: NT Daily editorial staff, Third place
- Critical Review: Kayleigh Bywater, Second place
- Sports Feature Story: Matthew Brune, Third place
- Static Information Graphic: Sarah Sarder, First place
- Sports Column: Brady Keane, Third place
- Newscast Spanish: Brenda Hernandez and Briana Castenon, First place
- In-Depth News Reporting Video: NT Daily staff
- Critical Review: Preston Mitchell
- Breaking News: Sarah Sarder
- Feature News Reporting Video: Briana Castenon
- Breaking News Video Story: Marina Feliciano