Whether you’re trying to find new things to do during your summer vacation, or relax after summer courses, there are a lot of things to discover on-campus and around Denton. Mark these events on your calendar and get ready to enjoy a summer full of fun and exciting activities.
- Planetarium: Take a visit to the Sky Theater located in the Environmental Science Building on UNT’s campus. The planetarium offers a variety of educational and entertaining programs for schools, the university and the general public.
- Freshman Orientation: During orientation (right), new students will have the opportunity to meet with faculty and staff, get to know their new classmates, connect with current students, learn about the university and get academic advising before registering for classes.
- College of Music summer camps: Workshops, camps and masterclasses are offered every summer by UNT’s College of Music. All skill levels and ages are invited to come fine tune their music skills and build on their knowledge of music.
- Textile Museum: The Texas Fashion Collection (TFC) is a unique repository documenting high fashion and style. These artifacts of dress were collected by a variety of notable groups and individuals whose contributions have continued to inspire students, researchers and visitors. Admission is free, but you must schedule a tour two weeks in advance.
- Summer 3W1/8W1 Classes Begin May 14: The summer 3W1/8W1 terms officially begin with the first day of classes.
- LOSS Team Music Fest and Art Auction May 19: Come out and join the Denton County LOSS (Local Outreach to Suicide Survivors) in supporting those who have been affected by suicide. There will be live music, live and silent auctions featuring a variety of art works and raffles at the end of each auction session.
- Summer 3W1 Last Class Day May 30: The last class day of summer 3W1.
- Summer 3W1 Finals May 31: The 3W1 summer term wraps up with finals.
- Summer 5W1/10W1/8W2 Classes Begin June 4: The summer 5W1 /10W1/8W2 terms officially begin with the first day of classes.
- Tuesday Bike Night in June: Join Denton’s longest going social bike ride every Tuesday during the month of June. Rides are under 10 miles, stay within Denton and usually end at the square. The ride is no drop, so no one will be left behind. Bike lights are required.
- Denton Kiwanis Club Fireworks Show (right) July 4: Celebrate Independence Day with a spectacular fireworks show presented by the Denton Noon Kiwanis Club at Apogee Stadium. There will be a children’s activity area open, live bands before the fireworks begin and concessions available for purchase.
- Summer 8W1/5W1 Last Class Day July 5: The last class day of summer terms 8W1 and 5W1.
- Summer 8W1/5W1 Finals July 6: The 8W1 and 5W1 summer terms wrap up with finals.
- Summer 8W2 Last Class Day July 26: The last class day of summer term 8W2.
- Summer 8W2 Finals July 27: The 8W2 summer term wraps up with finals.
- UNT on the Square in July: Your portal to the arts at UNT is located in downtown Denton. UNT on the Square is an arts and meeting space devoted to presenting UNT arts programming in service to the university and to the community at large. The exhibition Vast will be featured from July 23-Aug. 15.
- Yoga on the Square (right) in July: Join Karma Yoga Denton instructors every Monday. All skill levels welcome. Please make sure to bring your own yoga mat.
- Summer 10W/5W2 Last Class Day Aug. 9: The last class day of summer terms 10W and 5W2.
- Summer 10W/5W2 Finals Aug. 10: The 10W and 5W2 summer terms wrap up with finals.
- The Wizard of Oz at Campus Theater Aug. 10-12, 16-19: Enjoy the classic tale of Dorothy Gale’s adventures in the magical land of Oz. Tickets will go on sale to the public starting June 15, 2018.
- Mean Green Move-In Weekend Aug. 18-19: Mean Green Move-In marks the opening of residence halls for the fall semester. From 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday, volunteers from throughout the UNT community will be on hand to assist with the move-in process.
- First Flight Week Aug. 19-26: This week is designed to help new students begin their college experience on the right path. There will be different programs throughout the week that will prepare students for the upcoming semester and allow them to meet their fellow peers.
- Mean Green Fling Aug. 22: Mean Green Fling is the event that kicks off the start of the school year. Over 400 student organizations are invited to participate, along with university departments. This welcome back event will include free food, giveaways, live entertainment and other activities.
- Fall Classes Begin Aug. 27: The fall semester officially kicks off with the first day of classes.