Whether you’re trying to find new things to do during your summer vacation, or relax after summer courses, there are a lot of things to discover on-campus and around Denton. Mark these events on your calendar and get ready to enjoy a summer full of fun and exciting activities.
- Planetarium: Take a visit to the Sky Theater located in the Environmental Science Building on UNT’s campus. The planetarium offers a variety of educational and entertaining programs for schools, the university and the general public.
- Freshman Orientation: During orientation (right), new students will have the opportunity to meet with faculty and staff, get to know their new classmates, connect with current students, learn about the university and get academic advising before registering for classes.
- UNT summer camps: Dozens of camps and programs at UNT will educate and entertain children, teens and adult learners of nearly any age this summer. Participants will have the opportunity to explore and learn about the arts, the environment, sports, science, technology and more thanks to offerings such as “Snot Camp,” “Robots in the Wild” and “Explore STEM!” computer engineering camp for students with disabilities.
- Textile Museum: The Texas Fashion Collection (TFC) is a unique repository documenting high fashion and style. These artifacts of dress were collected by a variety of notable groups and individuals whose contributions have continued to inspire students, researchers and visitors. Admission is free, but you must schedule a tour two weeks in advance.
- LOSS Team Music Fest and Art Auction May 11: Come out and join the Denton County LOSS (Local Outreach to Suicide Survivors) in supporting those who have been affected by suicide. There will be live music, live and silent auctions featuring a variety of art works and raffles at the end of each auction session.
- Summer 3W1/8W1 Classes Begin May 13: The summer 3W1/8W1 terms officially begin with the first day of classes.
- Media Arts Movie Night May 24: The department of Media Arts will be hosting a free movie night at Fred Moore Park with free food and family activities starting at 7 p.m. and a showing of The Last Dragon starting at dusk.
- Summer 3W1 Last Class Day May 29: The last class day of summer 3W1.
- Summer 3W1 Finals May 30: The 3W1 summer term wraps up with finals.
- Summer 5W1/10W1/8W2 Classes Begin June 3: The summer 5W1 /10W1/8W2 terms officially begin with the first day of classes.
- Juneteenth Celebration June 14-15: Celebrating a broad spectrum of African American heritage, this celebration includes music, softball tournament, a parade, basketball tournaments, barbecue-cook-off and games for the entire family!
- Our Father's Charity Auto Show June 15: OFW will be hosting their Charity Auto Show at the North Texas Fairgrounds in Denton. The funds raised will go to My Corner of the Field Ministry, whose mission is to provide homeless veterans and their families with the basic building blocks to get back on their feet and become productive members of our communities.
- Denton Pride Block Party June 28: The Denton Pride Fest combines exhibitors, entertainers and activities for an afternoon of fun and celebration in the name of equality. The celebration will attract visitors and bring them together with local residents and families, corporate sponsors, community leaders and local business owners.
- Tuesday Bike Night in June: Join Denton’s longest going social bike ride every Tuesday during the month of June. Rides are under 10 miles, stay within Denton and usually end at the square. The ride is no drop, so no one will be left behind. Bike lights are required.
- Denton Kiwanis Club Fireworks Show (right) July 4: Celebrate Independence Day with a spectacular fireworks show presented by the Denton Noon Kiwanis Club at Apogee Stadium. There will be a children’s activity area open, live bands before the fireworks begin and concessions available for purchase.
- Summer 8W1/5W1 Last Class Day July 4: The last class day of summer terms 8W1 and 5W1.
- Summer 8W1/5W1 Finals July 5: The 8W1 and 5W1 summer terms wrap up with finals.
- DCI North Texas July 18: For nearly a half century, Drum Corps International has been the leader in producing events for the world’s most elite and exclusive marching ensembles for student musicians and performers. Apogee Stadium will host a night of performances by 13 ensembles.
- Summer 8W2 Last Class Day July 25: The last class day of summer term 8W2.
- Summer 8W2 Finals July 26: The 8W2 summer term wraps up with finals.
- UNT on the Square in July: Your portal to the arts at UNT is located in downtown Denton. UNT on the Square is an arts and meeting space devoted to presenting UNT arts programming in service to the university and to the community at large. The exhibition Vast will be featured from July 15 - Aug. 17.
- Yoga on the Square (right) in July: Join Karma Yoga Denton instructors every Monday. All skill levels welcome. Please make sure to bring your own yoga mat.
- Summer 10W/5W2 Last Class Day Aug. 8: The last class day of summer terms 10W and 5W2.
- Summer 10W/5W2 Finals Aug. 9: The 10W and 5W2 summer terms wrap up with finals.
- CATS at Campus Theater Aug. 9-11, 15-18: Directed by Ash Robbins, this popular musical has the Jellicle Cats sing their stories for their benevolent leader, Old Deuteronomy, to determine which will be chosen to ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new life. A charming experience for ages 8 and up.
- North Texas State Fair and Rodeo Aug. 16-24: Join the North Texas community in celebrating our history. Filled with rides, food and music its sure to be an event you won’t forget.
- Mean Green Move-In Weekend Aug. 17-18: Mean Green Move-In marks the opening of residence halls for the fall semester. From 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday, volunteers from throughout the UNT community will be on hand to assist with the move-in process.
- First Flight Week Aug. 18-25: This week is designed to help new students begin their college experience on the right path. There will be different programs throughout the week that will prepare students for the upcoming semester and allow them to meet their fellow peers.
- Mean Green Fling Aug. 21: Mean Green Fling is the event that kicks off the start of the school year. Over 400 student organizations are invited to participate, along with university departments. This welcome back event will include free food, giveaways, live entertainment and other activities.
- Fall Classes Begin Aug. 26: The fall semester officially kicks off with the first day of classes.