Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020
Dear UNT faculty and staff,
The safety of our UNT community remains at the core of every decision we make and your continued observance of our health and safety procedures is proving effective. While we cannot offer traditional in-person college commencement ceremonies this fall, UNT will host in-person commencement ceremonies with limited attendance Sunday, Nov. 22, at Apogee Stadium for Fall 2020 graduates. Our priority is to make sure each graduate and their guests are able to attend while adhering to stadium capacity requirements. Unfortunately, this means tickets will not be available for faculty and staff. These socially-distanced ceremonies will include remarks from the administration and the ceremonial conferral of undergraduate, master’s and doctoral degrees.
Colleges will celebrate their graduates during virtual College Recognition Ceremonies Dec. 11-12. Deans will preside over ceremonies during which each graduate’s name will be read out loud and displayed on the screen, along with degree granted and Latin Honors, if applicable.
Meeting graduation application deadlines is more important than ever. Students who apply or are approved after the deadlines likely will not have their names included in the College Recognition Ceremonies or commencement program. Please remind students intending to graduate this December, to follow instructions outlined by the Office of the Registrar. Future communications regarding Fall 2020 commencement ceremonies will be sent directly to graduation candidates.
- Two commencement ceremonies are scheduled for 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. with graduates divided by college to adhere to stadium capacity requirements
- Graduates must RSVP (beginning late October) to participate and claim tickets
- Graduates will be offered two additional guest tickets
- Ticketing will be strictly enforced and seating will be preassigned to maintain social distancing
- A livestream will be available for those unable to attend
- Face coverings are required on campus including at Apogee Stadium
- Graduates must wear regalia
- Tickets will not be available for faculty and staff
The Class of 2020 has made sacrifices on a grand scale, and we are disappointed we cannot safely provide the traditional events graduates want. We are steadfastly proud of their accomplishments, and I hope you will encourage students to celebrate with us during socially-distanced commencement ceremonies at Apogee Stadium. We are focused on keeping our UNT family safe while offering graduates some of the pomp and circumstance they deserve.