If you want to impress your Valentine later this month, may we suggest a few UNT-inspired gifts?
The College of Music euphonium program impresses us every year with its unique Tuba Valentines. Just fill out the order form and soon your sweetie will be enjoying a brass serenade from students in the program. You can choose two love songs from more than a dozen in the group's repertoire, and they'll also include a chocolate rose and a personalized card. The cost is $30 on campus or $35 off campus in Denton, with prices outside of Denton varying depending on distance. UNT students receive a $5 discount. The Valentines are available Saturday, Feb. 8, to Saturday, Feb. 15, but the deadline to order is 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 11. If you have any questions, just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're looking for a nice red wine for the holiday, alumnus John Matthews and his wife, Jill — founders of Cassaro Winery in Ovilla — have provided a custom variety for the UNT Alumni Association. North Texas Tempranillo, a 100 percent Texas wine, features hints of cherry and spice and is said to pair well with barbecue and fajitas. A portion of the proceeds go to the association to support student scholarships and other alumni initiatives. You can order it from CassaroWinery, or it's available at Metzler's Food & Beverage, 1115 E. University Dr. in Denton.
If your Valentine's tastes run more toward the food variety, UNT's Dining Services has you covered. Special events in the residence halls include:
- Monday, Feb. 10: National “Have a Brownie” Day at Mean Greens Café, all day
- Monday, Feb. 10: National Pizza Day at Kitchen West, all day
- Tuesday, Feb. 11: “Love is in the Air” Dessert Party at Champs, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 12: Faculty/Staff Appreciation Lunch, all dining halls for lunch
- Thursday, Feb. 13: National Tortellini Day at Mean Greens Café, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 14: Decorate a Valentine Cookie at Bruceteria, 1-4 p.m.
If you're having trouble letting go of the Valentine's spirit after the big day, there's also:
- Tuesday, Feb. 18: Cinnamon Rolls for Breakfast at Champs, 7-9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 18: National Drink Day at Kitchen West, all day (drinks like specialty lemonade, virgin piña colada, apple cider, hot chocolate and more)
- Wednesday, Feb. 19: National Chocolate Mint Day at Mean Greens Café, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 20: National Muffin Day at Mean Greens Café, 7-10 a.m., followed by National Cherry Pie Day, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 21: National Pancake Day at Mean Greens Café, 7-10 a.m. and 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Actually, don't miss this list for the entire semester. National Chocolate Mousse Day (April 3), we have our eye on you. If you don't have a meal plan, no worries. The door price at Bruceteria, Kerr Dining Hall, Champs and Mean Greens Café is $7.95 plus tax for your all-you-care-to-eat meal. The door price for allergen-free Kitchen West is $5.50 plus tax. And faculty and staff can eat for $4.75 plus tax at any of the five dining halls for Faculty/Staff Appreciation Lunches, scheduled March 18 and April 15 in addition to Feb. 12.
If you're still in the mood for dessert, you'll also find some irresistible items on shelves across campus (the Corner Store in the University Union is a great spot):
- Lovely You Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries, $12
- Cupid's Favorite Cupcakes, $1 or $5
- From the Heart Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake, $12
- True Love Chocolate Souffle Cake, $3
- Free Hugs Krispy Marshmallow Treat, $2
- Perfect Match Cookie, $2
- Be Mine Truffles, $9
- My Funny Valentine Caramel Popcorn, $2 or $3
- It's Complicated, a special flavor of Scrappy's Ice Cream (dark chocolate, white chocolate and strawberry crispy pearls plus milk chocolate curls swirled with a chocolate fudge ribbon in Scrappy's Original Strawberry Ice Cream), $1
Have a happy Mean Green Valentine's Day!