UNT Home | Graduate Studies | College of Engineering | Mechanical and Energy Engineering

Mechanical and Energy Engineering

Master's Degree Program

Where will you make your mark in future innovations? Will you help provide cleaner and more sustainable energy, improve human health or devise better technologies for ground and air transportation, or even space exploration?

Graduate opportunities

The Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering offers a Master of Science degree in Mechanical and Energy Engineering.

We’re committed to academic excellence and research in all areas of mechanical and energy engineering. You’ll study the fundamentals and applications of engineering and develop life-long learning skills in a research/project-oriented environment.

With small class sizes, you can work closely with distinguished faculty members to solve complex problems faced by businesses and consumers. Our faculty members have been honored by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, among others.

You’ll also have networking opportunities through the valuable contacts we’ve established with leading companies and corporate partners.

Strong student support

UNT provides services unique to the needs of graduate students. The Graduate Writing Support Center can help you with writing a thesis, dissertation or class paper, and the Office of Research and Consulting can help you achieve your research goals using cutting-edge research technology tools and statistical analysis. A Thesis Boot Camp and other specialized workshops are available through the Toulouse Graduate School®. Many of the workshops are available online for your convenience.

Research opportunities

The College of Engineering has state-of-the-art instructional facilities and laboratories containing cutting-edge research equipment. The department also supports top-ranked research labs that offer exciting possibilities for study and discovery. Working with faculty members, you may research:

  • Biomaterials
  • Biomedical heat transfer
  • Computational heat transfer and fluid mechanics
  • Control systems
  • Environmental monitoring and modeling
  • Fracture and failure of advanced solid materials
  • Novel energy conversion systems
  • Renewable energy
  • Sensors and actuators
  • Solid-state energy conversion

Attending UNT

Admission requirements

You must apply for admission to the university through the Toulouse Graduate School® or the International Admissions Office.

You also must submit directly to the department a detailed résumé with educational experience, relevant work history and research experience.

Degree requirements

You’ll plan your degree program with the assistance and approval of your major professor and advisory committee. Graduation requires earning a B average in all courses.

Thesis option

  • 24 credit hours of graduate-level courses. A minimum of 18 credit hours must be selected from courses offered by the Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering. Remaining coursework may be selected from other departments with your faculty advisor’s approval.
  • 6 credit hours of master’s thesis. An oral presentation of the thesis is required. A decision on acceptance of the thesis is made by your advisory committee. Preparation guidelines are at the graduate school website.

Non-thesis option

  • 27 to 33 credit hours of graduate-level courses. A minimum of 21 credit hours must be in mechanical and energy engineering. The rest of the coursework may be chosen from other departments with approval from your major advisor and the MEEN graduate advisor.
  • 0 to 6 credit hours of research with the permission of the major advisor.

Financial assistance

Teaching and research assistantships funded by the department and faculty research grants support many students. Out-of-state and international students who are funded at least 20 hours per week are eligible for in-state tuition rates. Only master’s students who select the thesis option are eligible for teaching or research assistantships. A number of in-state tuition scholarships also are available.

Information about other financial assistance programs is at the financial aid website.