Alternative Dispute Resolution

Your future in Alternative Dispute Resolution

In a world filled with conflict, employers want individuals skilled in negotiation and dispute resolution. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) is a collection of proven, cost-effective strategies used to address disputes outside of a courtroom.

Training in ADR from the University of North Texas gives you a competitive edge in any profession you choose, including careers in:

  • Business
  • Education
  • Government
  • Human resources
  • Law enforcement
  • Real estate

What we offer

Alternative Dispute Resolution complements any major and is available as an interdisciplinary minor, allowing you to work with various departments across campus. In addition to fulfilling necessary academic requirements for the ADR minor, you also can earn one or more of the following certificates:

  • ADR Certificate
  • Family Mediation Certificate
  • Mediation Certificate

Earning a certificate will help distinguish you from other job seekers. You will learn ADR skills by participating in various exercises and real-world simulations. Through a special practicum, you can observe practicing professional mediators resolving real disputes. You may also gain experience working with local mediation service providers or other conflict management agencies.

Our faculty members are recognized experts and practicing professionals. They have experience in a variety of fields, including:

  • Arbitration
  • Emergency management
  • Employment and labor relations
  • Finance
  • Government
  • Law
  • Nonprofit management
  • Public policy
  • Urban studies

What to expect

The minor and each certificate program requires you to complete 12 semester hours of designated ADR courses and 9 semester hours of electives that you choose in consultation with an advisor. The certificates require fewer credit hours. ADR courses focus primarily on:

  • Business negotiation
  • Crisis intervention
  • Family mediation
  • Mediation
  • Mediation practicum
  • Negotiation and dispute resolution
  • Workplace ADR

To register for this minor, check on course availability and plan your course of study, you should contact your major advisor. Specific questions about the ADR minor or certificates may be directed to the program coordinator, Leslie Roberts, within the Department of Public Administration.

How to enroll at UNT

High school students

Get detailed information on recognized high school graduation programs and SAT/ACT requirements.

In your senior year, apply for admission at by the March 1 priority date and request that your high school transcript be sent to the UNT admissions office. Do you live out of state? For your convenience, you can apply through the Common Application.

Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses can count toward college credit at UNT.

Transfer students

If you're attending a Texas community college, you should consult our online transfer guides, the UNT Undergraduate Catalog and an academic counselor to review your degree plan. Proper planning will allow you to receive the maximum amount of transfer credits.

Our Transfer Center will help you make a successful transition to college life at UNT by connecting you with a peer mentor and other campus resources.