Audiology/Speech-Language Pathology

Your future in Audiology/Speech-Language Pathology

Are you interested in a career helping people with speech or hearing disorders? A Bachelor of Arts degree in Audiology/Speech-Language Pathology from the University of North Texas might be for you.

An audiologist assesses and treats people with hearing disorders, balance disorders, and tinnitus (ringing of the ears) while a speech language pathologist works with those who have communication disorders. Professionals in both areas work with diverse populations in:

  • Clinics
  • Colleges and universities
  • Government agencies
  • Hospitals
  • Industry and business
  • Private practice
  • Public schools

A master's degree is required to be a licensed and certified speech-language pathologist, and a clinical doctorate is required to be a licensed audiologist.

This is a growing career field because of the rising elderly population, greater emphasis placed on early detection of communication disorders, increasing concern about occupational hearing loss and rapid advances in technology.

What we offer

The Department of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology balances classroom learning with real-world application. You'll learn about communication skills through introductory courses in:

  • Audiology
  • Speech and hearing science
  • Speech and language development

Advanced courses focus on diagnosing and treating specific hearing, speech and language disorders. These courses also serve as prerequisites for graduate study.

Our faculty members are recognized researchers and practitioners as well as members of professional organizations in the field. They've published numerous articles in respected journals and conducted research on:

  • Autism
  • Cochlear implants
  • Discourse production abilities of adults with stroke-induced aphasia
  • Hearing aid fitting and selection procedures
  • Motor speech and voice changes associated with degenerative diseases
  • Prosodic and phonological characteristics of different languages
  • Psychoacoustics
  • Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)

What to expect

During your freshman and sophomore years, most of your classes will help fulfill the university's core curriculum and degree pre-requisites. Many of your audiology and speech-language pathology courses will be taken during your junior and senior years.

While enrolled in audiology and speech-language pathology courses, you'll observe clients at the UNT Speech and Hearing Center. The center supplies professional evaluation and remediation for articulation, language, voice, fluency disorders, a variety of hearing and communication disorders.

Our Career Center, Learning Center and professional academic advisors are among the many valuable resources available to you at UNT. The Career Center can provide advice about future employment opportunities. The Learning Center offers workshops on speed reading, study skills and time management.

The ASLP department's director of undergraduate studies and the academic advisors in the PACS advising office will help you plan your class schedule each semester. The director will also provide advice on applying to graduate school and how to obtain a job as a licensed assistant in Speech-Language Pathology through the Texas State Board of Examiners. For more information on this major, contact the PACS advising office at (940)-565-4115 to set an appointment with an academic advisor.

How to enroll at UNT

High school students

We encourage you to fulfill the graduation requirements for the distinguished level of achievement under the Texas Foundation, Recommended or Distinguished Achievement high school program or the equivalent.

In your junior year, take the SAT or ACT and have your scores sent to UNT. In your senior year, apply for admission by March 1 and request that your high school transcript be sent to the UNT admissions office.

Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses can count toward college credit at UNT.

Transfer students

If you're attending a Texas community college, you should consult our online transfer guides, the UNT Undergraduate Catalog and an academic counselor or advisor to review your degree plan. Proper planning will allow you to receive the maximum amount of transfer credits.

Our Transfer Center will help you make a successful transition to college life at UNT by connecting you with a peer mentor and other campus resources. Each year, 3,900 students transfer to UNT. More information about the center is at