UNT is one of the nation’s largest public research universities, with more than 42,000 students. Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, UNT is a catalyst for creativity, fueling progress, innovation and entrepreneurship for the North Texas region, the state and beyond. Our programs are internationally recognized with research and scholarship spanning all disciplines.
Academic programs ranked among the nation’s Top 100
U.S. News & World Report rankings in the Top 100
Economic impact generated in Dallas-Fort Worth annually
Top 100 Rankings by College and School
- First jazz studies program in the U.S.
- First undergraduate emergency administration and planning program in the U.S.
- First bachelor’s degree in digital retailing and in consumer experience management in the U.S. and first Master of Science program in merchandising offered completely online
- First retail program in the U.S. to integrate courses in merchandising, digital retailing, store operations, finance and retail strategy
- First school library certification program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First graduate applied anthropology program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First undergraduate program in applied behavior analysis in the U.S. and first accredited master’s program in behavior analysis in the world
- First and only Ph.D. program in art education in Texas
- World’s first graduate program in environmental philosophy and world’s first field station in environmental philosophy, science and policy at Cape Horn, Chile
- First four-year aviation logistics program at a university in Texas and only such program in the nation
- First master’s program in international sustainable tourism in the U.S. and the first to require a year abroad
- First and only standalone M.S. program in artificial intelligence in Texas
- Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, among the nation’s top 131 research institutions
- 21 programs ranked in the Top 100 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Named one of America’s 100 Best College Buys® for 25 consecutive years
- Named an America's Best Value College by Forbes
- Named an America’s Top College by Forbes for 12 consecutive years
- Named a Best College by Money magazine
- Named a Best in the West college by The Princeton Review for 13 consecutive years
- Named a Green College by The Princeton Review
- Named a Tree Campus Higher Education institution by the Arbor Day Foundation for 14 consecutive years
- Named one of the most beautiful college campuses in Texas by Aceable.com
- Named a Top National University by Washington Monthly
- Named a Texas Mother Friendly Worksite through the Texas Department of State Health Services
- Received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine for four consecutive years
- Ranked 25th a Best Bang for the Buck in the South by Washington Monthly
- Named one of the Safest College Campuses in the nation by Alarms.org four years in a row
- Named one of the Most Secure College Campuses in the nation by Asecurelife.com
- Named a top university for student engagement and breadth of academic programs by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
- Named a top university for a diverse environment by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
- Named a Top Public College by Buffalo Business First
- Named a Top Ten Military Friendly Tier One Research Institution in the nation by MilitaryFriendly.com
- Named a Military Friendly School by MilitaryFriendly.com eleven years in a row
- Named a Purple Heart University by the Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter #1315
- Named a Best College for Ethnic Diversity by CollegeFactual.com
- UNT's Mean Greens dining hall received an A+ rating and Dean's List status for the sixth straight year on the 2019 Vegan Report Card by Peta2.com
- Located in Denton, named one of Best College Towns in the nation by 247WallSt.com
- Listed as a member of the Excellence in Community College Transfer Honor Roll by Phi Theta Kappa five years in a row
- Ranked 2nd in the nation for accelerated online master’s programs by BestMastersPrograms.org
- Ranked 2nd in the nation as a college with the best food by Delish.com
- One-year online master’s in education programs ranked 3rd in the nation by
- Ranked 4th in the nation as a Top College Music Scene by The University Network
- Ranked 4th in the nation for the fastest online master's degree programs by OnlineMastersColleges.com
- Ranked 5th in the nation for the best financial aid counseling program by Lendedu.com
- UNT's climbing wall in the Pohl Recreation Center ranked 5th in the nation by CollegeOutside.com
- Ranked 6th in the nation as a public university on the rise by CollegeGazette.com
- Murchison Performing Arts Center ranked 6th in the nation by BestCollegeReviews.org
- Ranked 8th in the nation as a top college for financial literacy programs by Lendedu.com
- Ranked 10th in the nation for enrolling transfer students by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked 10th in the nation for visual and performing arts degrees earned by Hispanic students, 30th for total bachelor's degrees earned and 53rd for total master's degrees earned by The Hispanic Outlook on Education Magazine
- Ranked 15th in the nation for green power use by the EPA's Green Power Partnership
- Ranked 17th in the nation for most affordable online master’s programs by BestMastersPrograms.org
- Ranked 17th in the nation as a Best College by Military Times
- Ranked 18th in the nation for the biggest increases of percentages of underrepresented minorities from 2010 to 2016 by the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Ranked 23rd in the nation for Best Online Programs by Newsweek.com
- Ranked 34th in the nation for undergraduate degrees awarded to minorities by Diverse: Issues in Higher Education magazine
- Ranked 43rd in the nation for total enrollment at a 4-year university by Hispanic Outlook on Education magazine.
- Pohl Recreation Center ranked 47th in the nation by GreatValueColleges.net
- Online bachelor's programs ranked 53rd in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Kitchen West is named Texas' only dining hall certified free from gluten and the "Big 8" food allergens by Kitchens with Confidence
- First university in Texas named a Bee Campus USA
- Ranked 40th in the nation and 2nd in Texas for best college food by Niche.com
- Ranked 3rd in Texas for best online universities by EDsmart.org
- Ranked 5th in Texas for diversity by Niche.com
- Ranked 6th in Texas for best value online universities by TexasOnlineColleges.com
- Ranked 8th in Texas as a best online college by Learn.org
- Ranked 15th in Texas for post-graduation salaries by GradReports.com
- Undergraduate logistics and supply chain management program ranked 20th in North America by Gartner Inc.
- Online master’s in gifted and talented education (educational psychology) program ranked 1st in the nation by TopCounselingSchools.org
- Online graduate criminal justice program ranked 1st in the nation for affordability by Collegechoice.net
- Online master's in workforce learning and performance program ranked 1st in the nation by Intelligent.com
- Master's computer science and engineering program ranked 2nd in the nation by BestValueSchools.org
- Technical communication program ranked 3rd in the nation by Study.com
- Online master's in hospitality management program ranked 4th in the nation by BestCollegeReviews.org
- Undergraduate communication design (graphic design) program ranked 2nd in the Southwest and 4th in the nation among public universities by Animation Career Review
- General music program ranked 7th in the nation for best value by CollegeFactual.com
- Online master’s in data science and analytics ranked 17th in the nation by BestMastersPrograms.org
- Undergraduate journalism program ranked 20th in the nation for best value by CollegeFactual.com
- Undergraduate mathematics program ranked 44th in the nation for best value by CollegeFactual.com
- UNT is one of the nation's largest public research universities, enrolling more than 42,000 students.
- With 244 degree programs, UNT is Dallas-Fort Worth’s most comprehensive university.
- UNT is one of the nation’s most diverse universities, with 10,400 Hispanic students and 6,300 African American students.
- UNT leads Texas universities in the number of Goldwater Scholars in math, science and engineering, with 68 named since 1996.
- UNT’s global alumni network has 461,000 members, with 314,000 alumni living and working in Dallas-Fort Worth.
- UNT generates an economic impact of $1.65 billion in Dallas-Fort Worth annually.