Established in 1890, UNT is one of the nation’s largest public research universities, with 38,000 students. Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, UNT is a catalyst for creativity, fueling progress, innovation and entrepreneurship for the North Texas region, the state and beyond. Our programs are internationally recognized with research and scholarship spanning all disciplines.
Academic programs ranked among the nation’s Top 100
U.S. News & World Report rankings in the Top 100
Economic impact generated in Dallas-Fort Worth annually
Top 100 Rankings by College and School
- First jazz studies program in the U.S.
- First undergraduate emergency administration and planning program in the U.S.
- First bachelor’s degree in digital retailing and in consumer experience management in the U.S. and first Master of Science program in merchandising offered completely online
- First retail program in the U.S. to integrate courses in merchandising, digital retailing, store operations, finance and retail strategy
- First school library certification program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First graduate applied anthropology program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First undergraduate program in applied behavior analysis in the U.S. and first accredited master’s program in behavior analysis in the world
- First and only Ph.D. program in art education in Texas
- World’s first graduate program in environmental philosophy and world’s first field station in environmental philosophy, science and policy at Cape Horn, Chile
- First four-year aviation logistics program at a university in Texas and only such program in the nation
- First master’s program in international sustainable tourism in the U.S. and the first to require a year abroad
- Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, among the nation’s top 115 research institutions
- 15 programs ranked in the Top 100 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Named one of America’s 100 Best College Buys® for 22 consecutive years
- Named an America's Best Value College by Forbes
- Named an America’s Top College by Forbes for nine consecutive years
- Named a Best College by Money magazine
- Named a Best in the West college by The Princeton Review for nine consecutive years
- Named a Green College by The Princeton Review seven years in a row
- Named Texas’ greenest college campus by eCollegeFinder.org
- Named a Tree Campus USA by the Arbor Day Foundation for 10 consecutive years
- Named one of the most beautiful college campuses in Texas by Lendedu.com
- Named a Best Public College for Lowest Student Loan Debt in the nation by Lendedu.com
- Named a top National University by Washington Monthly
- Named one of the Safest College Campuses in the nation by Alarms.org two years in a row
- Named a top university for student engagement and breadth of academic programs by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
- Named a top university for a diverse environment by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
- Named a Top College for Native Americans by Winds of Change Magazine
- Named a Top Public College in the nation by Buffalo Business First
- Named a Top 10 Military Friendly Tier One Research Institution in the nation by MilitaryFriendly.com
- Named a Top Military Friendly School by MilitaryFriendly.com eight years in a row
- Named a Purple Heart University by the Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter #1315
- Named a top university by Military Advanced Education & Transition two years in a row
- Named a top Military Friendly online college by GuidetoOnlineSchools.com
- Named a Best College for the Money without Aid by CollegeFactual.com
- Named one of the top Public Colleges that Offer Freshmen the Most Financial Aid by StudentLoans.net
- Named a top university for Ethnic Diversity by collegefactual.com
- Ranked 2nd in the nation as a top college for financial literacy programs by Lendedu.com
- Ranked 3rd in Texas as a best online school by AccreditedSchoolsOnline.org
- Ranked 7th in the nation in the education category and overall 4th in Texas and 40th in the nation as one of America's Best Employers by Forbes
- Ranked 3rd in the nation for the best financial aid counseling program by Lendedu.com
- UNT's climbing wall in the Pohl Recreation Center ranked 5th in the nation by CollegeOutside.com
- Located in Denton, named the seventh Best College Town in the nation by 247WallSt.com
- Ranked 6th in the nation among the most affordable national universities for middle class families by Washington Monthly
- Ranked 11th in the nation for green power use by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Ranked among the top 50 safest large colleges and universities in the nation by CollegeChoice.net
- Ranked 34th in the nation by Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education magazine
- Ranked 35th for undergraduate degrees awarded to minorities by Diverse Issues in Higher Education magazine
- Ranked 37th in the nation as a Best Value Online Colleges by ValueColleges.com
- Ranked 42nd in the nation as a Best College by Military Times
- Online bachelor's program ranked 47th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Only university in Texas named a Bee Campus USA
- Ranked 1st in Texas for public universities by AmericaunRaveled.com
- Ranked 7th in Texas as a best online college by CollegeStart.org
- Ranked a top 25 best online college in Texas by CollegeChoice.net
- One of six non-medical public universities in Texas recognized for scholarly output by ShanghaiRanking's Academic Ranking World Universities
- Listed as a member of the Excellence in Community College Transfer Honor Roll by Phi Theta Kappa three years in a row
- Hospitality management program ranked 25th in the world by CEOWORLD Magazine
- Undergraduate logistics and supply chain management program ranked 15th in North America by Gartner Inc.
- Online graduate criminal justice program ranked 1st in the nation for affordability by CollegeChoice.net
- Online master's in educational psychology program ranked 1st for affordability in the nation by CollegeChoice.net
- Jazz studies program ranked 1st in Texas, 1st in the South and 2nd in the nation by Best-Music-Colleges.com
- Technical communication program ranked 3rd in the nation by Study.com
- Graduate medical librarianship program ranked 1st in Texas and 7th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Engineering technology program ranked 3rd in Texas, 6th in the South and 14th in the nation by Best-Engineering-Colleges.com
- Fashion design program ranked 21th in the nation and 68th in the world by CEOWORLD Magazine
- Journalism program ranked 4th in Texas, 25th in the South and 68th in the nation by Journalism-Schools.com
- Mathematics graduate program ranked 93rd among public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- UNT is one of the nation’s largest public research universities, enrolling 38,000 students.
- With 227 degree programs, UNT is Dallas-Fort Worth’s most comprehensive university.
- UNT is one of the nation’s most diverse universities, with 8,800 Hispanic students and 5,400 African American students.
- UNT leads Texas universities in the number of Goldwater Scholars in math, science and engineering, with 60 named since 1996.
- UNT is one of the state’s Top 5 universities for the number of degrees awarded annually, with more than 9,200 degrees awarded in 2017-18.
- UNT’s global alumni network has 407,000 members, with 274,000 alumni living and working in Dallas-Fort Worth.
- UNT generates an economic impact of $1.65 billion in Dallas-Fort Worth annually.