UNT is one of the nation’s largest public research universities, with more than 39,000 students. Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, UNT is a catalyst for creativity, fueling progress, innovation and entrepreneurship for the North Texas region, the state and beyond. Our programs are internationally recognized with research and scholarship spanning all disciplines.
Academic programs ranked among the nation’s Top 100
U.S. News & World Report rankings in the Top 100
Economic impact generated in Dallas-Fort Worth annually
Top 100 Rankings by College and School
- First jazz studies program in the U.S.
- First undergraduate emergency administration and planning program in the U.S.
- First bachelor’s degree in digital retailing and in consumer experience management in the U.S. and first Master of Science program in merchandising offered completely online
- First retail program in the U.S. to integrate courses in merchandising, digital retailing, store operations, finance and retail strategy
- First school library certification program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First graduate applied anthropology program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First undergraduate program in applied behavior analysis in the U.S. and first accredited master’s program in behavior analysis in the world
- First and only Ph.D. program in art education in Texas
- World’s first graduate program in environmental philosophy and world’s first field station in environmental philosophy, science and policy at Cape Horn, Chile
- First four-year aviation logistics program at a university in Texas and only such program in the nation
- First master’s program in international sustainable tourism in the U.S. and the first to require a year abroad
- Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, among the nation’s top 131 research institutions
- 19 programs ranked in the Top 100 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Named one of America’s 100 Best College Buys® for 23 consecutive years
- Named an America's Best Value College by Forbes
- Named an America’s Top College by Forbes for ten consecutive years
- Named a Best College by Money magazine
- Named a Best in the West college by The Princeton Review for ten consecutive years
- Named a Green College by The Princeton Review eight years in a row
- Named a Tree Campus USA by the Arbor Day Foundation for 12 consecutive years
- Named one of the most beautiful college campuses in Texas by Lendedu.com
- Named a Best Public College for Lowest Student Loan Debt in the nation by Lendedu.com
- Named a top National University by Washington Monthly
- Ranked 25th a Best Bang for the Buck in the South by Washington Monthly
- Named one of the Safest College Campuses in the nation by Alarms.org four years in a row
- Named one of the Most Secure College Campuses in the nation by Asecurelife.com
- Named a top university for student engagement and breadth of academic programs by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
- Named a top university for a diverse environment by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
- Named a Top Public College by Buffalo Business First
- Named a Gold Level Military Friendly Tier One Research Institution in the nation by MilitaryFriendly.com
- Named a Military Friendly School by MilitaryFriendly.com nine years in a row
- Named a Top Veteran-Friendly School in the nation by Veterans Magazine
- Named a Purple Heart University by the Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter #1315
- Named a top university by Military Advanced Education & Transition two years in a row
- Named a top Military Friendly online college by GuidetoOnlineSchools.com
- Named a Best College for the Money for undergraduates without aid by CollegeFactual.com
- Named a Best College for Ethnic Diversity by CollegeFactual.com
- UNT's Mean Greens dining hall received an A+ rating and Dean's List status for the sixth straight year on the 2019 Vegan Report Card by Peta2.com
- Located in Denton, named one of Best College Towns in the nation by 247WallSt.com
- Listed as a member of the Excellence in Community College Transfer Honor Roll by Phi Theta Kappa four years in a row, the only Texas public university to listed since the Honor Roll began in 2016
- Ranked 2nd in the nation as a college with the best food by Delish.com
- Ranked 3rd in the nation as a top college for financial literacy programs by Lendedu.com
- Ranked 4th in the nation as a Top College Music Scene by The University Network
- Ranked 5th in the nation for the best financial aid counseling program by Lendedu.com
- UNT's climbing wall in the Pohl Recreation Center ranked 5th in the nation by CollegeOutside.com
- Murchison Performing Arts Center ranked 6th in the nation by BestCollegeReviews.org
- Ranked 6th in the nation among the most affordable national universities for middle class families by Washington Monthly
- Ranked 7th in the nation in the education category and overall 4th in Texas and 40th in the nation as one of America's Best Employers by Forbes
- Ranked 9th in the nation for enrolling transfer students for fall 2017 by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked 1st in Texas and 9th in the nation among higher education institutions as one of the Best Employers for Women by Forbes
- Ranked 10th in the nation for green power use by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Ranked 13th in the nation for the lowest cost of living on and off campus by Trulia.com
- Ranked 13th in the nation among higher education institutions as one of the Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes
- Ranked 17th in the nation as a Best College by Military Times
- Ranked 18th in the nation for the biggest increases of percentages of underrepresented minorities from 2010 to 2016 by the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Online graduate programs ranked 20th for affordability by GreatValueColleges.net
- Ranked 23rd in the nation as a best online college by BestCollegeReviews.org
- Ranked among the top 50 safest large colleges and universities in the nation by CollegeChoice.net
- Ranked 31st in the nation for undergraduate degrees awarded, 63rd for doctoral and master's degrees awarded to minorities by Diverse: Issues in Higher Education magazine
- Ranked 34th in the nation for undergraduate degrees awarded and 58th for graduate degrees awarded to Hispanics by Hispanic Outlook on Education magazine
- Ranked 43rdin the nation for total enrollment at a 4-year university by Hispanic Outlook on Education magazine.
- Ranked 43rd in Texas as a Best-in-State Employer by Forbes.com
- Ranked 45th in the nation and 2nd in Texas for colleges receiving the most National Endowment for the Humanities grants in the past decade by the Chronicle for Higher Education
- Pohl Recreation Center ranked 47th in the nation by GreatValueColleges.net
- Online bachelor's programs ranked 69th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- First university in Texas named a Bee Campus USA
- Ranked 1st in Texas for public universities by AmericaunRaveled.com
- Ranked 5th in Texas for diversity by Niche.com
- One of six non-medical public universities in Texas recognized for scholarly output by ShanghaiRanking's Academic Ranking World Universities
- Ranked 7th in Texas as a best online college by ReadySchools.org
- Ranked a top 25 best online college in Texas by CollegeChoice.net
- Ranked in the top 200 in the world on Instagram by unirank.com
- Hospitality management program ranked 17th in the nation and 21st in the world by CEOWORLD Magazine
- Undergraduate fashion design program ranked 20th in the nation and 64th in the world by CEOWORLD Magazine
- Undergraduate logistics and supply chain management program ranked 20th in North America by Gartner Inc.
- Online master’s in gifted and talented education (educational psychology) program ranked 1st in the nation by TopCounselingSchools.org
- Online graduate criminal justice program ranked 1st in the nation for affordability by Collegechoice.net
- Online master’s in learning technologies (educational technology) program ranked 2nd for best value by CollegeValuesOnline.com.
- Undergraduate music program ranked 3rd in the nation for value by GreatValueColleges.net
- Technical communication program ranked 3rd in the nation by Study.com
- Undergraduate journalism program ranked 12th in the nation for best value by CollegeFactual.com
- Undergraduate computer science and engineering program ranked 16th in the nation for enrolling and graduating women by The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Undergraduate biological and biomedical sciences programs ranked 76th in the nation for best value by CollegeFactual.com
- UNT is one of the nation's largest public research universities, enrolling more than 39,000 students.
- With 230 degree programs, UNT is Dallas-Fort Worth’s most comprehensive university.
- UNT is one of the nation’s most diverse universities, with 8,800 Hispanic students and 5,400 African American students.
- UNT leads Texas universities in the number of Goldwater Scholars in math, science and engineering, with 64 named since 1996.
- UNT is one of the state’s Top 5 universities for the number of degrees awarded annually, with more than 9,200 degrees awarded in 2017-18.
- UNT’s global alumni network has 434,000 members, with 294,000 alumni living and working in Dallas-Fort Worth.
- UNT generates an economic impact of $1.65 billion in Dallas-Fort Worth annually.