Established in 1890, UNT is one of the nation’s largest public research universities, with 37,000 students. Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, UNT is a catalyst for creativity, fueling progress, innovation and entrepreneurship for the North Texas region, the state and beyond. Our programs are internationally recognized with research and scholarship spanning all disciplines.
Academic programs ranked among the nation’s Top 100
U.S. News & World Report rankings in the Top 100
Economic impact generated in Dallas-Fort Worth annually
Top 100 Rankings by College and School
- First jazz studies program in the U.S.
- First undergraduate emergency administration and planning program in the U.S.
- First bachelor’s degree in digital retailing in the U.S. and first Master of Science program in merchandising offered completely online
- First retail program in the U.S. to integrate courses in merchandising, digital retailing, store operations, finance and retail strategy
- First school library certification program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First graduate applied anthropology program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First undergraduate program in applied behavior analysis in the U.S. and first accredited master’s program in behavior analysis in the world
- First and only Ph.D. program in art education in Texas
- World’s first graduate program in environmental philosophy and world’s first field station in environmental philosophy, science and policy at Cape Horn, Chile
- First four-year aviation logistics program at a university in Texas and only such program in the nation
- First master’s program in international sustainable tourism in the U.S. and the first to require a year abroad
- Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, among the nation’s top 115 research institutions
- 16 programs ranked in the Top 100 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Located in Denton, named the ninth Best College Town in the nation by Livability.com
- Named one of America’s 100 Best College Buys® for 21 consecutive years
- Named an America’s Top College by Forbes for eight consecutive years
- Named one of the Best Mid-Size Employers in the U.S. with more than 1,000 employees by Forbes
- Named a Best College by Money magazine
- Named a Best in the West college by The Princeton Review for eight consecutive years
- Named a Green College by The Princeton Review six years in a row
- Named Texas’ greenest college campus by eCollegeFinder.org
- Named a top National University by Washington Monthly
- Named a top Military Friendly School by MilitaryFriendly.com seven years in a row
- Named a top university by Military Advanced Education & Transition two years in a row
- Named a Best College for the Money without Aid by collegefactual.com
- Name a top university for Ethnic Diversity by collegefactual.com
- Ranked 6th in the nation among the most affordable national universities for middle class families by Washington Monthly
- Ranked among the top 50 safest large colleges and universities in the nation by Collegechoice.net
- Ranked among the top 100 most affordable large public universities by Affordable Colleges Online
- Ranked 34th in the nation by Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education magazine
- Ranked 37th in the nation as a Best Value Online Colleges by Valuecolleges.com
- Only university in Texas named a Bee Campus USA
- Ranked 1st in Texas for public universities by Americaunraveled.com
- Ranked a top 25 best online college by Collegechoice.net
- One of six non-medical public universities in Texas recognized for scholarly output by ShanghaiRanking's Academic Ranking World Universities
- Only college or university in Texas listed as a member of the inaugural Excellence in Community College Transfer Honor Roll by Phi Theta Kappa
- Online bachelor’s programs ranked 68th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Environmental philosophy program recognized as the best in the world by the International Association for Environmental Philosophy
- Online criminal justice program ranked 1st in the nation for affordability by Collegechoice.net
- Technical communication program ranked 3rd in the nation by Study.com.
- One of the nation’s best music colleges, with areas of international distinction from early music to jazz; ranked 16th in the world by The Hollywood Reporter
- Digital library ranked 11th in North America and 24th in the world for top repositories by Cybermetrics Lab
- Logistics and supply chain management program ranked 6th in North America by Gartner Inc.
- Graduate logistics and supply chain management program ranked 24th in North America by Gartner Inc.
- Logistics and supply chain management program ranked 3rd in the nation by Software Advice
- Logistics and supply chain management program ranked 3rd in the nation by Inbound Logistics magazine
- Jazz studies program ranked 3rd in the nation by Best-Music-Colleges.com
- Counseling program ranked 4th in the nation by Best-Education-Schools.com
- Ranked 4th in the nation for best annual return on investment value for computer science degrees by PayScale.com
- Medical librarianship graduate program ranked 1st in Texas and 6th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Sociology program ranked 1st in Texas, 1st in the South and 7th in the nation by Sociology-Schools.com
- Merchandising program ranked 7th in the nation by CampusExplorer.com
- Radio, TV, film (media arts) program ranked 7th in the nation by Journalism-Schools.com
- Graduate business program (M.B.A.) in management ranked 7th in the nation by Human Resources MBA
- General fine arts program ranked 7th in the nation by Best-Art-Colleges.com
- History program ranked 8th in the nation by GraduatePrograms.com
- Online M.B.A. with marketing concentration ranked 8th in the nation by GoGrad.org
- School library media graduate program ranked 1st in Texas and 8th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Counseling program ranked 10th in nation by GraduatePrograms.com
- Merchandising program ranked 10th in the nation by Fashion-Schools.org
- Online M.B.A. ranked 11th in the nation as a best buy among distance programs by GetEducated.com
- Graduate accounting program ranked 12th in the nation as most affordable by Accounting Degree Review
- Online master’s program in library and information studies ranked 12th in the nation by TheBestSchools.org
- Online graduate business program (M.B.A.) ranked 13th in the nation for veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- Public administration (city management/urban policy) master’s program ranked 1st in Texas and 13th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Graduate rehabilitation counseling program ranked 1st in Texas and 15th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Online graduate business program (M.B.A.) ranked 16th in the nation by TopManagementDegrees.com
- Online graduate education program ranked 16th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Online doctorate in education ranked 17th in the nation by GoGrad.org
- Art bachelor’s degree programs ranked 18th in the nation by Best-Art-Colleges.com
- Fashion design program ranked 18th in the nation and 43rd in the world by CEOWORLD Magazine
- Online graduate business program (M.B.A.) ranked 18th in the nation by BestValueSchools.org
- College of Music ranked 19th in the nation by USCollegeRanking.org
- Fashion Design program ranked 19th in the nation by FashionSchools.org
- Online graduate business program (M.B.A.) ranked 20th in the nation by OnlineMBAReport.com
- Online master’s program in learning technologies ranked 20th in the nation by TheBestSchools.org
- Library and information studies graduate program ranked 21st in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Online graduate business program (M.B.A.) ranked 21st in the nation by The Princeton Review
- Hospitality and hotel management program ranked 22nd in the nation by SuccessfulStudent.org
- Hospitality and hotel management program ranked 23rd in the nation by CreateACareer.org
- Public management administration graduate program ranked 24th in the nation by ValueColleges.com
- Online graduate business program (M.B.A.) ranked 25th in the nation by OnlineMBA.com
- Online master’s degree in psychology ranked 25th in the nation by SuperScholar.org
- Jazz studies program ranked one of the Top 25 U.S. Jazz Guitar Schools by Jazzguitar.be
- Graphic design program ranked 1st in the Southwest by Animation Career Review
- Only journalism program in the nation to win the 2016 Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Equity and Diversity Award
- Only professionally accredited journalism master’s program in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and New Mexico
- UNT is one of the nation’s largest public research universities, enrolling 37,000 students.
- With 220 degree programs, UNT is Dallas-Fort Worth’s most comprehensive university.
- UNT is one of the nation’s most diverse universities, with 7,800 Hispanic students and 5,100 African American students.
- UNT leads Texas universities in the number of Goldwater Scholars in math, science and engineering, with 59 named since 1996.
- UNT is one of the state’s Top 5 universities for the number of degrees awarded annually, with more than 8,500 degrees awarded in 2015-16.
- UNT’s global alumni network has 393,000 members, with 263,000 alumni living and working in Dallas-Fort Worth.
- UNT generates an economic impact of $1.65 billion in Dallas-Fort Worth annually.