Established in 1890, UNT is one of the nation’s largest public research universities, with nearly 38,000 students. Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, UNT is a catalyst for creativity, fueling progress, innovation and entrepreneurship for the North Texas region, the state and beyond. Our programs are internationally recognized with research and scholarship spanning all disciplines.
Academic programs ranked among the nation’s Top 100
U.S. News & World Report rankings in the Top 100
Economic impact generated in Dallas-Fort Worth annually
Top 100 Rankings by College and School
- First jazz studies program in the U.S.
- First undergraduate emergency administration and planning program in the U.S.
- First bachelor’s degree in digital retailing in the U.S. and first Master of Science program in merchandising offered completely online
- First retail program in the U.S. to integrate courses in merchandising, digital retailing, store operations, finance and retail strategy
- First school library certification program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First graduate applied anthropology program in the U.S. offered completely online
- First undergraduate program in applied behavior analysis in the U.S. and first accredited master’s program in behavior analysis in the world
- First and only Ph.D. program in art education in Texas
- World’s first graduate program in environmental philosophy and world’s first field station in environmental philosophy, science and policy at Cape Horn, Chile
- First four-year aviation logistics program at a university in Texas and only such program in the nation
- First master’s program in international sustainable tourism in the U.S. and the first to require a year abroad
- Ranked a Tier One research university by the Carnegie Classification, among the nation’s top 115 research institutions
- 16 programs ranked in the Top 100 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Named one of America’s 100 Best College Buys® for 22 consecutive years
- Named an America’s Top College by Forbes for nine consecutive years
- Named a Best College by Money magazine
- Named a Best in the West college by The Princeton Review for nine consecutive years
- Named a Green College by The Princeton Review seven years in a row
- Named Texas’ greenest college campus by eCollegeFinder.org
- Named a Tree Campus USA by the Arbor Day Foundation for nine consecutive years
- Named one of the most beautiful college campuses in Texas by Lendedu.com
- Named a Best Public College for Lowest Student Loan Debt in the nation by Lendedu.com
- Named a top National University by Washington Monthly
- Named a top university for student engagement and breadth of academic programs by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
- Named a top university for a diverse environment by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
- Named a Top College for Native Americans by Winds of Change Magazine
- Named a top Public College in the nation by Buffalo Business First
- Named a top Military Friendly School by MilitaryFriendly.com seven years in a row
- Named a top university by Military Advanced Education & Transition two years in a row
- Named a Best College for the Money without Aid by collegefactual.com
- Named one of the top Public Colleges that Offer Freshmen the Most Financial Aid by StudentLoans.net
- Named a top university for Ethnic Diversity by collegefactual.com
- Ranked 2nd in the nation as a top college for financial literacy programs by Lendedu.com
- Ranked 3rd in Texas as a best online school by AccreditedSchoolsOnline.org
- Ranked 4th in the nation in the education category as one of the Best Midsize Employers in the nation by Forbes
- Located in Denton, named the seventh Best College Town in the nation by 247WallSt.com
- Ranked 6th in the nation among the most affordable national universities for middle class families by Washington Monthly
- Ranked 11th in the nation for green power use by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Ranked among the top 50 safest large colleges and universities in the nation by Collegechoice.net
- Ranked among the top 100 most affordable large public universities by Affordable Colleges Online
- Ranked 34th in the nation by Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education magazine
- Ranked 36th for undergraduate degrees awarded to minorities by Diverse Issues in Higher Education magazine
- Ranked 37th in the nation as a Best Value Online Colleges by Valuecolleges.com
- Ranked 42nd in the nation as a Best College by Military Times
- Ranked 47th in the nation as one of the safest colleges by Alarms.org
- Only university in Texas named a Bee Campus USA
- Ranked 1st in Texas for public universities by Americaunraveled.com
- Ranked 7th in Texas as a best online college by CollegeStart.org
- Ranked a top 25 best online college in Texas by Collegechoice.net
- One of six non-medical public universities in Texas recognized for scholarly output by ShanghaiRanking's Academic Ranking World Universities
- Listed as a member of the Excellence in Community College Transfer Honor Roll by Phi Theta Kappa two years in a row
- Online bachelor’s programs ranked 68th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Hospitality and hotel management program ranked 31st in the world by CEOWORLD Magazine
- Online graduate criminal justice program ranked 1st in the nation for affordability by CollegeChoice.net
- Jazz studies program ranked 3rd in the nation by Best-Music-Colleges.com
- Technical communication program ranked 3rd in the nation by Study.com
- Logistics and supply chain management program ranked 6th in North America by Gartner Inc.
- Counseling master's program ranked 4th in the nation by Best-Education-Schools.com
- Online master's program in library and information studies ranked 5th in the nation for affordability by Onlineu.org
- General fine arts program ranked 7th in the nation by Best-Art-Colleges.com
- Engineering technology program ranked 35th in the nation by Best-Engineering-Colleges.com
- Biological sciences program ranked 63rd in the nation for best value by CollegeFactual.com
- UNT is one of the nation’s largest public research universities, enrolling 38,000 students.
- With 221 degree programs, UNT is Dallas-Fort Worth’s most comprehensive university.
- UNT is one of the nation’s most diverse universities, with 8,800 Hispanic students and 5,400 African American students.
- UNT leads Texas universities in the number of Goldwater Scholars in math, science and engineering, with 60 named since 1996.
- UNT is one of the state’s Top 5 universities for the number of degrees awarded annually, with more than 8,900 degrees awarded in 2016-17.
- UNT’s global alumni network has 407,000 members, with 274,000 alumni living and working in Dallas-Fort Worth.
- UNT generates an economic impact of $1.65 billion in Dallas-Fort Worth annually.