Health Services Administration

Master's Degree Programs

Graduate opportunities

The College of Public Affairs and Community Service at the University of North Texas houses one of the nation's oldest and best-known career training programs for professionals in gerontology. We instill in our students:

  • A belief that the later years of life have intrinsic value and offer potential for human fulfillment
  • A commitment to staying informed about new developments and research
  • A sound understanding of aging processes

Embracing these philosophical beliefs enables you to meet the needs of America's growing population of older adults.

Our Master of Arts and Master of Science degrees in Health Services Administration help you pursue a career as a licensed long-term care administrator or in administering community-based services. The innovative curricula include combining classroom study with an internship. This better prepares you to plan, develop, administer and evaluate residential and community-based programs and services for older people.

We also offer a Specialist in Aging graduate academic certificate that complements the existing knowledge and skills of health and human service professionals or can add to the academic credentials of faculty and doctoral candidates.

Our graduates are leaders in their communities and at the state and national levels. Alumni are employed throughout the nation in:

  • Church programs
  • Community mental health centers
  • Governmental planning and regulatory agencies
  • Home health agencies
  • Long-term care and retirement communities
  • Senior centers

Prepare for the future

Research plays a vital role in our program. Faculty members are investigating:

  • Accessibility of health care delivery systems for adults and older adults
  • Aging and disabilities resource systems
  • Images of aging in film and literature
  • Integrating community-based and residential services for the aged
  • Long-term care policy
  • Mediation for professionals in aging
  • Physical activity and the elderly
  • Senior re-engagement and volunteerism
  • Sustainable senior communities

Gain new perspectives

Guest lecturers and adjunct instructors, including professionals from long-term care and retirement facilities, community-based programs for the elderly and government agencies, bring best practices to the classroom and enhance our curricula. The programs also have strong relationships with faculty members in other departments at the university.

UNT's library system holds one of the country's most comprehensive collections about aging. The program also selects acquisitions for the Gerontological Film and Video Collection, which includes more than 700 videotapes, films and slide sets. Items in the collection are available for rent to organizations and agencies nationally.

Attending UNT

Admission requirements

M.A. and M.S. programs

You must meet the admission requirements for the Toulouse Graduate School® and apply for admission to the Applied Gerontology Program.

The graduate school's admission requirements are outlined on their website. Contact the College of Public Affairs and Community Service for specific requirements to the Applied Gerontology Program.

Degree and certification requirements

M.A. and M.S. degrees

  • 31 to 37 semester hours of required course work
  • 3 to 12 semester hours of electives
  • 3 to 6 semester hours of a 500-clock-hour supervised internship (Those preparing for licensure as a long-term care administrator need to complete a 1,000-clock-hour internship in a licensed facility.)

Specialist in Aging certificate

  • 9 semester hours of core courses covering social, physiological and psychological aspects of aging and government programs for the elderly
  • 6 semester hours of applied gerontology electives

Financial assistance

The program and university offer many types of academic-based and need-based financial assistance. Several department-sponsored scholarships are awarded each year to full-time master's students based on merit and potential for achievement. Research assistantships associated with faculty projects are often available.

Out-of-state and international students who attend full time and receive scholarships may be eligible to pay in-state tuition.

Visit the graduate school website and the Financial Aid website for more information on financial assistance.